#1 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 04:51 PM

In Digital Spy, Pierce had this to say about the character of Bond:

"I never thought of him [as sexist]," says Brosnan. "I saw him as a solitary, enigmatic character. I saw him as a fellow who carries a certain amount of pain and angst. Deep down as someone who's quite troubled, and solitary - [though] Ian Fleming really doesn't give you a lot to hang your hat on. There's a lovely sequence in [the books] where Bond is on a flight and there is terrible turbulence and he's shaking in his shoes, from turbulence. 'The drink, the drink, give me the drink'."

On the 'sexist, misogynist dinosaur' line:

"It was for the reintroduction of Bond, having been dormant for six years, a good line to be delivered by Dame Judi: funny and telling. But you try to play within the lines and within the stillness of the character - that's where hopefully you see something of him. The rest is phonetic and kinetic and dynamic and... fun.

This leads on to what Brosnan feels is another key ingredient of what makes Bond Bond: the humour.

"There's an element of campness to it, which you have to address somehow. When you look at what Connery did, then what Roger did... I mean Roger went completely the other way and it was hysterical, and it was really funny. I loved his Bond. It was a bold move, and Roger acquitted himself dearly and grandly and fondly for seven movies. But you have to have the humour."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a670291/pierce-brosnan-i-never-thought-of-james-bond-as-a-sexist.html#~ppjdjvbXYEspLS

#2 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 01:51 AM

"The rest is phonetic and kinetic and dynamic and . . . fun."

It's been a long week, and I'm tired, but I'm not sure what that means.

#3 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:11 AM

"The rest is phonetic and kinetic and dynamic and . . . fun."

It's been a long week, and I'm tired, but I'm not sure what that means.

It's probably the most perceptive of the comments he made. He's saying that a lot of the scripts involve lines which sound cool (phonetic), action scenes (kinetic) and a inventive set-pieces (dynamic) which, together, are fun, but between all that there are moments which convey character.

Edited by DavidJones, 26 September 2015 - 09:12 AM.

#4 Emrayfo

Emrayfo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 11:31 PM

Great reflections from Pierce. I must say, while I like Craig's portrayal, I am uncomfortable and disagree with his recent comments regarding Bond as a misogynist. I find it particularly intriguing that Craig thinks that, especially considering the tenor of his portrayal, which seems anything but misogynist.

While the Connery and Moore eras were products of the cultural standards of the time, and are therefore sexist in many ways compared to contemporary values - maybe arguably misogynist from some viewpoints, as was the Fleming source material - from Dalton onwards the films have largely kept pace with the times (viz. the Brosnan misogynistic dinosaur reference) and sometimes even ahead of social change (viz. the Brosnan Bond giving up smoking).

Edited by Emrayfo, 01 October 2015 - 11:58 PM.