Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:44 PM

McQuarrie would definitely get my vote!

Mine too.

I'd even let him direct!  I haven't seen MI, but Jack Reacher was far more watchable than it deserved to be, thanks to script and direct (and Herzog). My reason is his movie Way Of The Gun; a fantastic little lost gem of violent neo-noir.

#32 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 11:23 AM

McQuarrie would definitely get my vote!

Mine too.

I'd even let him direct!  I haven't seen MI, but Jack Reacher was far more watchable than it deserved to be, thanks to script and direct (and Herzog). My reason is his movie Way Of The Gun; a fantastic little lost gem of violent neo-noir.

Rogue Nation was fantastic. If an American were to finally direct a Bond film, I'd be very happy with McQuarrie!

#33 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:11 PM

Rogue Nation was fun, but it has different priorities than Bond.

#34 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 10:29 PM

John Michael McDonagh might have the right stuff.

#35 EyesOnly

EyesOnly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:24 PM

Well, Craig will be gone after Spectre or the film following that, and then they'll be looking for a new direction. I wouldn't be surprised to see some new names at that time.

I nominate Bryan Fuller. An excellent writer with sensibilities perfectly suited to Bond.

My co-worker is good friends with Bryan Fuller (They went to film school and have done spec work together).  He went to school with him and Bryan Singer.  He actually thought Bryan Singer was an annoying brat, but that's a different story.  He's going to put a word in for CBN..haha.  He is apparently a huge bond fan.  

Edited by EyesOnly, 01 December 2015 - 03:24 PM.

#36 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:00 AM

Well, Craig will be gone after Spectre or the film following that, and then they'll be looking for a new direction. I wouldn't be surprised to see some new names at that time.

I nominate Bryan Fuller. An excellent writer with sensibilities perfectly suited to Bond.

My co-worker is good friends with Bryan Fuller (They went to film school and have done spec work together).  He went to school with him and Bryan Singer.  He actually thought Bryan Singer was an annoying brat, but that's a different story.  He's going to put a word in for CBN..haha.  He is apparently a huge bond fan.  

He is, he's talked ALOT about the Bond films influence on Hannibal (Hannibal's "clean up suit" for example is designed to look like Dr No's radiation suit from the end of Dr No.)

#37 KB 007

KB 007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 09:53 PM

Kurt Wimmer.

#38 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:31 PM

I think Purvis and Wade will be back.

#39 Bucky

Bucky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 01:17 AM

I would not mind Gatiss getting the gig, although maybe not until they bring in a new Bond. (He could also pull double duty and be M if they decided to have a whole new cast).

While listening to the commentary for one of the episodes of Sherlock he admitted that he took part of the plot from a deleted scene for OHMSS that he read about in the brilliant Making Of book.

#40 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:37 PM

I think Purvis and Wade will be back.

Like dry rot

Kurt Wimmer.

IMO his CV is pretty poor in the main

#41 Panavision

Panavision

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:58 PM

McQuarrie is a bad fit. He's focused on story/plot, and that's not what should drive a Bond film.

We need someone who knows how to write/shape stories that capture the Fleming blend of exoticism, pleasure, humor, violence, and surrealism. None of those things are McQuarrie's strong point.

I disagree. Rogue Nation captured the exotic nature and adventure of a Bond film. Spectre was more story/plot too. There's nothing wrong with Mcquarrie doing a Bond film. A writer is hired based on talent in crafting a rich script, of course, but another just-as important ingredient: can he' work with the producers like Purvis and Wade can?

Was Haggis a surrealist writer when he was hired? No. Just a talented writer who can distinguish between the genres and deliver.

McQuarrie, though, seems to have his own franchise in Mission Impossible so he'll be busy for a while. 

#42 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:03 AM

I'd be fine with McQuarrie handling the scripting duties.  I can't imagine, though, that there are too many out there who could make as big of a mess of the next script as the team that cobbled together the Spectre script.