CMuJ7BiVEAAoxTP.jpg

#32 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:18 AM

Looks great. This, and Trigger Mortis, are both exciting projects for the literary Bond.

#33 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:37 PM

Oh this is lovely. We're having a good year for Bond between this, SPECTRE and Trigger Mortis.

#34 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 02:03 PM

Yes, and by all accounts, all three products have a good chance of being high quality. 

#35 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 02:22 PM

Yes, and by all accounts, all three products have a good chance of being high quality. 

At the very least, highly respected people in their fields (Mendes, Horrowitz, Ellis) behind each incarnation is a nice change up for Bond (I'm going to cover my ears and hum loudly at the video games area at the moment which is horribly letting the side down.)

#36 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 04:26 PM

Having highly respected people in their fields isn't a given for success.  The past three literary Bond efforts are a prime example of this.

#37 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 05:56 PM

Having highly respected people in their fields isn't a given for success.  The past three literary Bond efforts are a prime example of this.

Tou che, Faulks' attempt still hurts.

I do however have high hopes for these though.

#38 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 06:03 PM

All three of them stung me a bit. I wasn't familiar with any of the authors (although I'd heard of Deaver), but I'd gotten my hopes up because all three came HIGHLY recommended by forum members around here whose opinions I trust. Each one was a massive disappointment. Now we're heading down the same road with TRIGGER MORTIS and now these comics. Hopefully they'll be good, but the keepers of the literary franchise have lost any right to ask for or expect us to give them the benefit of the doubt.

#39 Karloff

Karloff

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 07:45 PM

Official, from Stephen Mooney

CMuJ7BiVEAAoxTP.jpg

Looks interesting! What can we gather from this cover art?

Well for one, I like that Bond has the scar on his face and the lock of hair over his eyebrow. Very Fleming-eque. Would have preferred the PPK over the P99 though. Is this set in the present time or the 50's?

Those are Brosnan's hands BTW.

A syringe, DNA-string and the chemical formulas... Will the story center around chemical or biological weapons?

Love the title font.

Edited by Karloff, 19 August 2015 - 07:46 PM.

#40 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 10:55 PM

Looks like Bond's left-handed in this...

#41 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:34 AM

https://www.mi6-hq.c...?t=&s=&id=03948

This has the full set of variants for issue one. It's a very nice range, I particularly like 1, 5 and 6

#42 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:52 AM

Hi-rez images of the alt covers can be found here...

http://www.comicbook...#storyContinued

#43 Baccarat

Baccarat

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:50 AM

Anyone familiar with Dynamite and how it distributes?  Assume I can pick it up at my local comic emporium (which would be a Newbury Comics store here in Massachusetts). But is there a way to subscribe? I checked the Dynamite site but nothing listed yet. Thanks for any advice.

#44 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 01:31 PM

Anyone familiar with Dynamite and how it distributes?  Assume I can pick it up at my local comic emporium (which would be a Newbury Comics store here in Massachusetts). But is there a way to subscribe? I checked the Dynamite site but nothing listed yet. Thanks for any advice.

Dynamite tends to be a larger distribution (especially with a well known property like this) so most comic book store's will have it, however if you not near one (I'm an hour's drive away from one) Larger book store chains, and websites like Amazon will have it once it reaches Graphic novel form (usually the first six issues). Amazon and Ebay will usually have people selling comics but its pot luck whether or not someone is selling the comic you're looking for if you take that option.

Hi-rez images of the alt covers can be found here...

http://www.comicbook...#storyContinued

Ah brilliant. Was hoping some site would have Hi-res versions. I'm keen to have one of these as my laptops wallpaper.

Just noticed two are done by Jock! He drew two of my favourite Graphic novels (Hellblazer: Pandemonium and Green Arrow: Year One) So I'll definitely try and get that cover if I can!!

#45 Baccarat

Baccarat

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:02 AM

Thanks. Would much rather have the issues collected in a graphic novel than the individual comics. 

Dynamite tends to be a larger distribution (especially with a well known property like this) so most comic book store's will have it, however if you not near one (I'm an hour's drive away from one) Larger book store chains, and websites like Amazon will have it once it reaches Graphic novel form (usually the first six issues). Amazon and Ebay will usually have people selling comics but its pot luck whether or not someone is selling the comic you're looking for if you take that option.

#46 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 07:31 AM

This has the full set of variants for issue one. It's a very nice range, I particularly like 1, 5 and 6

5 and 6 would be my other picks, too. But I think 1 is the best. It's a simple and evocative shot which shows us the location and tells us this is going to be a bloody, violent portrayal of Bond.

#47 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 11:19 AM

5 and 6 would be my other picks, too. But I think 1 is the best. It's a simple and evocative shot which shows us the location and tells us this is going to be a bloody, violent portrayal of Bond.

I agree, fortunately I think that one is going to be the default cover so will be the easiest to get, and likely the cover for the TPB (graphic novel version collecting them together) aswell.

#48 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:35 PM

I'm very excited for this series. More so, I'd say, than I am for Trigger Mortis. I've been a Warren Ellis fan for a long time.

#49 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 03:07 AM

I'm excited about the possibility a Bond novel may actually be good, so I'm more looking forward to Trigger Mortis. But in the long term, the comic series will be king. It's ongoing and the future projects have my attention. Not just new stories on a semi-regular basis, but new interpretations of the classic Fleming novels. 

#50 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:25 AM

I'm very excited for this series. More so, I'd say, than I am for Trigger Mortis. I've been a Warren Ellis fan for a long time.

I'm still amazed they got Warren Ellis. I knew he was a huge Bond fan, he mentioned it frequently when he wrote Global Frequency, but I never imagined he would actually write a James Bond series!

#51 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:46 PM

http://www.comicbook...no-longer-allow
Interview with Warren Ellis, he seems to really know his stuff. He (annoyingly) joins the LONG list of people hired by the Ian Fleming estate to immediately criticize the films and say "They aren't real Bond" as if they'd still be able to make the money they are out of this property had the films not existed.
Seriously does the Fleming estate have that put in the contract that you have to say that?!? I'm getting really tired of it, firstly because they all say it, and secondly they then usually publish something the makes the films look like carefully researched docu-dramas (not that I expect that of Ellis mind)

#52 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:41 AM

I think the beauty of well known fictional characters is variation. For example having an Adam West Batman and a Christian Bale Batman. They're tonally light years apart, but follow the same core values of the character. Same thing with Bond, be it Timothy Dalton to Roger Moore. It's about taking the essential traits and doing your own spin on things. And anyway, while Craig's version is certainly rougher around the edges, he's not as far removed from the Bond Fleming wrote about as the purists may suggest. 

#53 Marcin

Marcin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:55 PM

Sorry, I don't know the specifics of US comic book market and Dynamite Entertainment publishing policy hence the question: can we assume that VARGR will be collected into graphic novel form anytime soon or is it just a possibility?

#54 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:18 PM

Well, first of all there'd have to be the series published in its - likely monthly - chapters. Not all comics get collected editions but I suppose it's safe to assume this one will if only for the "Bond" monicker and Ellis writing it. But soon, hmm, that may take a while. First there is a buck to be made with the regular copies, special alternate cover editions and so on. But this should take off fine and depending on how long the storyline is supposed to run it should see its collected edition soon after.
By the by, look what I found...

http://www.bleedingc...-jason-masters/

#55 Marcin

Marcin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 03:01 PM

Thanks Dustin! And as for the preview pages.. FANTASTIC! Exactly what I was hoping for.

#56 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:19 AM

Well, first of all there'd have to be the series published in its - likely monthly - chapters. Not all comics get collected editions but I suppose it's safe to assume this one will if only for the "Bond" monicker and Ellis writing it. But soon, hmm, that may take a while. First there is a buck to be made with the regular copies, special alternate cover editions and so on. But this should take off fine and depending on how long the storyline is supposed to run it should see its collected edition soon after.
By the by, look what I found...

http://www.bleedingc...-jason-masters/

ooooOOOooo those are nice. Warren Ellis' name alone I think garuntees a collected edition, though it'll be May or June before that get's released. assuming it's the usual first six issues (though some can be more, some can be less)

#57 Marcin

Marcin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:42 AM

Okay, I've just pre-ordered the first issue of VARGR. I've chosen the basic variant of the cover which is absolutely perfect (I'd love to have one of those poster size!). 

It may sound crazy (I'm sure it does!), but at the moment I'm more looking forward to the comics than the movie! I hope it'll be the beginning of a fantastic adventure that will last for years.

I'm ashamed to admit but I haven't read any of Ellis' previous work. Which would you recommend me to start with? Transmetropolitan?

#58 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 01:05 PM

Okay, I've just pre-ordered the first issue of VARGR. I've chosen the basic variant of the cover which is absolutely perfect (I'd love to have one of those poster size!). 

It may sound crazy (I'm sure it does!), but at the moment I'm more looking forward to the comics than the movie! I hope it'll be the beginning of a fantastic adventure that will last for years.

I'm ashamed to admit but I haven't read any of Ellis' previous work. Which would you recommend me to start with? Transmetropolitan?

Global Frequency
It's a Spy action thriller so may give hints as to how he's going to progress with Bond.

#59 Marcin

Marcin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 05:03 PM

Thanks for the advice Orion. I'll try to get one. In the mean time, I've ordered Gun Machine, which surprisingly was published in Poland.

#60 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 03:55 PM

Just pre-ordered a subscription to the series through Forbidden Planet. I'm really quite excited for this!