This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Rosamund Pike should be a Bond girl again!

9 replies to this topic

#1 Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:49 AM

Just saw the new film Gone Girl last night, and was completely blown away by Rosamund Pike. I honestly didn't think much of her in Die Another Day, but she's more than improved since then. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if she took home the Oscar next March. Considering the tone the recent Bond films have had, I think her acting chops would fit in and be utilized well in a Craig Bond film. We've already seen Maud Adams die in The Man with the Golden Gun and then return as a leading Bond girl in Octopussy. I say they should give Pike a good meaty Bond girl role Bond 24, or perhaps Bond 25 if they already have set-in-stone plans for 24.

#2 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 06:30 AM

I'm one of the few people who enjoys Die Another Day. Title song aside, I think it is an entertaining pop corn movie, even though I don't even consider it a James Bond movie.

However, the only thing I can't stand of that movie is Rosamund Pike; she doesn't even act at all.

#3 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 05 October 2014 - 07:11 AM

Rosamund Pike was cast in DAD almost straight from university - Oxford, I believe,and had fitted in a few TV roles whilst there. As such she was a relatively new actress, and it would be a bit much to expect an Oscar winning performance from her in DAD. Did actual Oscar winner Halle Berry put in such a performance? No. It wasn't the type of film that demanded one.

If Ms. Pike has gone from strength to strength in her acting career post DAD, as it seems she has, then why not cast her in a role in a future Bond film, provided the part was right for her?

#4 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:21 PM

Yeah I mean she is really young in Die Another Day which would explain why that wasn't her greatest role. I have seen her in Jack Reacher and I liked her in that movie so I would be fine if she gave it another shot.

#5 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:11 PM

Yeah I mean she is really young in Die Another Day which would explain why that wasn't her greatest role. I have seen her in Jack Reacher and I liked her in that movie so I would be fine if she gave it another shot.

I don't think her age was the problem for Gala Brand's, I mean Miranda Frost's failure. DAD is a train wreck from start to finish. I've also enjoyed Rosamund in other things, but I'd rather see new blood than the same actresses multiple times (nothing against Maud Adams).

#6 archer1949

archer1949

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:19 AM

Rosamund Pike was the best thing to come out of DAD.

I wouldn't mind seeing her have another go, but I doubt that is likely.

#7 Bourbon Woman

Bourbon Woman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 04:39 PM

I enjoy seeing Bond actors return to the franchise in new roles, in the manner of Walter Gotell, Charles Gray, Maud Adams, and Joe Don Baker. For one thing, it annoys those tiresome people who care too much about continuity and "realism". And it gives the franchise a close-knit, familial feel. I enjoy the fact that Andrea Anders and Octopussy were both played by the same actress. I don't know why, but it makes the series more interesting.

Also, I like the idea of Bond girls being reasonably close in age to the actor playing Bond, instead of a perpetual dewy twentysomething.

#8 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:12 PM

I guess I'd have to disagree with the sentiment of the thread.  I thought that Pike's performance in Die Another Day was pretty forgettable, although that's probably a good thing for her since she's not one of the first things that people think about when thinking about that terrible film.  I also thought that her performance in Jack Reacher was terrible.  I have heard, however, that's she's pretty good in Fincher's Gone Girl.

With that said, there are plenty of actresses out there who could turn in a better performance with the added bonus of not having been in a Bond film before.

#9 bondjames

bondjames

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:12 PM

I'm not a fan of seeing actresses (or actors for that matter) returning in different roles, but I agree that Rosamund Pike is very charismatic and an excellent actress (see her in Fracture or Jack Reacher). She was unquestionably the standout in that tragic, almost comedic debacle that was DAD.

#10 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:48 PM

Rosamund Pike was the best thing to come out of DAD.

I wouldn't mind seeing her have another go, but I doubt that is likely.

Sums up my thoughts perfectly.