This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Was a James Bond tv series ever considered?

15 replies to this topic

#1 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 06:38 PM

I remember in the early 90s ,talk of a Bond tv series, and rumours about Dalton starring in them, but he wouldn't commit to a tv series.
Now I read it a magazine long time ago, I don't know if it was serious or a joke, but this was after Licence to Kill.

Bond should be films, because the formula is for films to tackle with.

Although a hard edge flemming type Bond of Dalton type tv series would of suit him.

I say get him to wear a hair piece like Connery, and fire up a tv series.

Perhaps not a long running series, but 24 episodes story arc or something. Or instead of ignoring the age issue, perhaps a older Bond, more demons of the past, something different, retired Bond working with new agents or something.

#2 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 06:42 PM

Bond producer Michael Wilson stated in a 1987 interview that EON had considered a James Bond TV series but had decided they could not run the series concurrently with the movies.

#3 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 06:43 PM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow
Bond producer Michael Wilson stated in a 1987 interview that EON had considered a James Bond TV series but had decided they could not run the series concurrently with the movies.

Thanks for the info, thought it would been a reason like that.

#4 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 06:45 PM

Kevin McClory had plans for a Bond television series at during the Dalton and post-Dalton era. He was at least in talks to have Pierce Brosnan star. Luckily--for many reasons--McClory never got very far with it.

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 06:59 PM

It has been considered, and I believe it was, to some extent, again this year. Not sure in what context though. I just know that some sort of TV show was considered.

#6 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 07:16 PM

Prince Edward once made plans to develop a James Bond television series, but that idea was quickly scuppered for the reason that EON didn't want a tv series but thought Bond should only be a film series. It was probably to do with dilution of the Bond franchise if a series were made.

#7 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 05:35 PM

Fleming was contacted by CBS for a Bond series in the late 1950s.

#8 mattbowyer

mattbowyer

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 05:00 AM

I can't imagine anything worse than a James Bond TV series. We'd be like Trekkies.

#9 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 26 November 2002 - 03:09 AM

I think that a TV and film series is somehow 'bad' together. But the advantage of a TV series is that one bad episode is one in a few hundred, so if the fans complained about some episode, the producers could fix it before that string of episodes was finished.

Also, a TV series allows for more character development as well as action. Whole episodes could take place in MI6, and we could find out a lot about M.'s sarcastic grandchildren.

#10 Nap

Nap

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 November 2002 - 06:00 AM

It may come as a shock to hear a fan say this, but I really hope they NEVER have a Bond series. Once the series came out, the movies would stop. The televisions shows would be inferior, and after a few seasons the producers would try to spice things up for ratings by adding a Mrs. Bond or a baby Bond and the whole thing would become a joke.

Then that would be the end of Bond as we know it.

#11 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 27 November 2002 - 02:48 AM

I don't think it should be a long running tv show, just a mini series or one season, one story, enjoy it while it lasts type of Bond. Maybe a Young James Bond adventure, which is popular, people are interested in Superman when young, Bruce Wayne was considered a while ago, a young Bond could work, but only briefly, and have a good budget for one season, tell a story, then leave. Perhaps it could be a option, as a filler whenever Bond takes another 3 year break again or more.

#12 Felix's lighter

Felix's lighter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 27 November 2002 - 03:52 AM

Eight words: "Ewoks: The Battle For the Planet of Endor." Eight words that signify why no elements of successful film franchises should be carried over to TV.

#13 Bondfan4ever50

Bondfan4ever50

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 10:45 AM

Hello all, I new to the forum. There was a tv series called James Bond Jr. in which james Bond's nephew? chased SCUM around the world. larger than life villians and of course pretty girls. Think it ran in the early 90's.

#14 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 10:50 AM

Welcome to the CBN forum Bondfan4ever50;)

I think Fleming also considered a tv series back in the 50's - i think i read it somewhere(don't quote me on that)

#15 Red Grant

Red Grant

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 376 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 05:11 PM

Originally posted by Nap
It may come as a shock to hear a fan say this, but I really hope they NEVER have a Bond series.  Once the series came out, the movies would stop.  The televisions shows would be inferior, and after a few seasons the producers would try to spice things up for ratings by adding a Mrs. Bond or a baby Bond and the whole thing would become a joke.

Then that would be the end of Bond as we know it.

It would appear that this is the way the films are going anyway :). Rumours of a Jinx spin-off means more $$$$ if it ever gets produced. This concept is nothing new - as mentioned earlier Fleming was aproached to write a Bond TV series in the late 50's and when it was abandoned the results were turned into his short story anthology FOR YOUR EYES ONLY. In the 60's there was a spin-off book for kids called THE ADVENTURES of 003 1/2. In the 80's there was a cartoon series JAMES BOND Jr. As with any franchise the law of diminishing returns always comes into play and they find new avenues to rake in the cash. Hopefully this won't happen with Bond as they usually top the last one in terms of box office.

#16 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 03:26 PM

Originally posted by Nap
It may come as a shock to hear a fan say this, but I really hope they NEVER have a Bond series.  Once the series came out, the movies would stop.  

The Bond producers agree with you. In a 1987 interview to promote TLD, Michael Wilson was asked about the possibility of a TV series. Wilson said they had looked into it but they couldn't run a TV series and a movie series at the same time.