61 replies to this topic

#31 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:39 PM

I'm not denying the greatness of Thunderball. The score is one of the series' best and it's actually in my top 10. What it's guilty of is the ridiculous OTT stuff (especially for the 60s). I would love for Bond 24 to follow in TB's footsteps though, rather than MR or DAD. A classic, race against the clock type story is something that has been lacking in the Craig era.

#32 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:49 PM

A classic, race against the clock type story is something that has been lacking in the Craig era.

That is definitely something that needs to be a focal point of Bond 24.  The stakes in the Craig film have been pretty low thus far.  They had a great chance to really up the stakes in Skyfall, but ultimately failed to do so.

Post #10,000

#33 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:51 AM

THE BEST is way overrated IMO. The newest film theoretically should always be the best since it can learn from the previous films, then again DAF, AVTAK and DAD aren't very highly regarded. 

#34 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:11 AM

THE BEST is way overrated IMO. The newest film theoretically should always be the best since it can learn from the previous films, then again DAF, AVTAK and DAD aren't very highly regarded. 

Nor are MR, TWINE and TMWTGG.

#35 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:35 AM

My only hope is that none of the creative process is abbreviated. I am of the view that this was the sole shortcoming of QoS, that the script was rushed due to the impending writers' strike, with inadequate fine tuning. That being said, I quite like QoS; but I have the sense that it could have been more than it was. Perhaps I am being unfairly gracious to Mark Forster, giving him too much benefit of the doubt whilst throwing the writer under the bus or lorry; but that's how it seems to me. 

#36 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:19 PM

A classic, race against the clock type story is something that has been lacking in the Craig era.

That is definitely something that needs to be a focal point of Bond 24.  The stakes in the Craig film have been pretty low thus far.  They had a great chance to really up the stakes in Skyfall, but ultimately failed to do so.

Post #10,000

I think you hit the nail on the head.  The Craig era so far has stuck to the "Bond´s personal enemy"-formula.  It´s high time for an adventure in which Bond has to fight for something else.

#37 ChrissBond007

ChrissBond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1552 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:21 PM

I just hope this one will be quite different from Craig's first three. Whether it could be his best, I don't know. It will be hard to top CR for me. I'm hoping we will get a more classic, straight forward, fun film without all the personal stuff, which I think the series really needs at this point.

#38 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:57 AM

Post #10,000

I think you hit the nail on the head.  The Craig era so far has stuck to the "Bond´s personal enemy"-formula.  It´s high time for an adventure in which Bond has to fight for something else.

The thing is, they really had the opportunity to give Bond something else to fight for in Skyfall, yet still chose to keep things incredibly small in scale.  Keeping with the idea presented at M's hearing that maybe the Double-oh section is no longer needed in these new times, perhaps the scale and intensity of Silva's attack on London could have been increased, putting the city in some semblance of real danger on a bigger scale than what is presented in the film.  Things still would stay personal for Bond and M, but there's the idea that the people "in the shadows" that the government no longer deemed necessary ended up saving the day and proving their worth in the new, technology-driven world of espionage.  

#39 bondjames

bondjames

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:18 PM

Post #10,000

The thing is, they really had the opportunity to give Bond something else to fight for in Skyfall, yet still chose to keep things incredibly small in scale.  Keeping with the idea presented at M's hearing that maybe the Double-oh section is no longer needed in these new times, perhaps the scale and intensity of Silva's attack on London could have been increased, putting the city in some semblance of real danger on a bigger scale than what is presented in the film.  Things still would stay personal for Bond and M, but there's the idea that the people "in the shadows" that the government no longer deemed necessary ended up saving the day and proving their worth in the new, technology-driven world of espionage.  

You may have actually just given away the plot for Bond 24 tdalton. Upon reading your post, something went off in my head (like an intuitive jolt).

I think this may in fact be the follow on drawing from Skyfall's plot that one of the writers alluded to. They spent quite a bit of time devling into the 00 section's obsolescence in Skyfall. Perhaps something happens in Bond 24 that calls this whole approach into question, and Bond has to show how relevent the 00 section still is. This may also be why there is a supposed British female agent lead (a female 00 perhaps).

On a side-note, if this role is going to Blunt (as has been hoped for) I think we could have a delicious Avengers (the British one from the 60's with Steed) style caper. How fun would that be. Blunt in "Emmapeelers". Here's to hoping - time for the 60's to make a comeback

#40 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:51 PM

On a side-note, if this role is going to Blunt (as has been hoped for) I think we could have a delicious Avengers (the British one from the 60's with Steed) style caper. How fun would that be. Blunt in "Emmapeelers". Here's to hoping - time for the 60's to make a comeback

Wouldn't that, then make her (potential) Bond 24 role, none other than Countess Teresa di Vicenzo?

#41 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:23 PM

seawolf, you just made my morning! What a great idea!

#42 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:25 PM

Isn't the role that everyone thinks Blunt has already been cast for supposed to be a British agent?  I'm not seeing how that translates into the character being Tracy.

#43 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:27 PM

I know it's not realistic, tdalton. Just a fun thought that peaked my interest. The British agent is probably a sure thing, but I couldn't help but think what if...

#44 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:31 PM

So Blunt being in Bond 24 is really a strong possibility ?

#45 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:35 PM

Here's hoping!

#46 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:37 PM

It seems to be the prevailing thought around here, although, at least to my knowledge, there hasn't been a whole lot of evidence to back it up.

So far, we really have nothing but rumors on the casting front.  The two "confirmed" actors, Lea Seydoux and Dave Bautista, still have yet to be confirmed by EON/Sony or the actors themselves.  I'm sure that they'll both end up being in the film, but nothing has been confirmed yet.

#47 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:43 PM

It seems to be the prevailing thought around here, although, at least to my knowledge, there hasn't been a whole lot of evidence to back it up.

I think people are just theorising and speculating. 

#48 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:48 PM

Yeah, it's mostly just wishful thinking on most of our parts :)

#49 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:52 PM

So far, we really have nothing but rumors on the casting front.  The two "confirmed" actors, Lea Seydoux and Dave Bautista, still have yet to be confirmed by EON/Sony or the actors themselves.  I'm sure that they'll both end up being in the film, but nothing has been confirmed yet.

I understand, thanks for the reply T.

I would very much appreciate her presence in the movie, she's intriguing.

#50 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:27 PM

Isn't the role that everyone thinks Blunt has already been cast for supposed to be a British agent?  I'm not seeing how that translates into the character being Tracy.

It was a joke about Blunt "Emmapeeling." You know, because Diana Rigg was Emma Peel haha.

#51 bondjames

bondjames

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:59 PM

Just to clarify guys, "emmapeelers" was the colloquial term given to the skin tight outfits Diana Rigg used to wear in the Avengers. The show was such a hit that her outfits got its own name. Anyway, yes, the Blunt thing is pure speculation at this point (although wouldn't a lot of us be disappointed if it's in fact not her but someone else) - I was just looking forward to seeing her in 60's style skin tight spy gear roaming around London if it is in fact her.

#52 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:01 PM

Just to clarify guys, "emmapeelers" was the colloquial term given to the skin tight outfits Diana Rigg used to wear in the Avengers. The show was such a hit that her outfits got its own name. Anyway, yes, the Blunt thing is pure speculation at this point (although wouldn't a lot of us be disappointed if it's in fact not her but someone else) - I was just looking forward to seeing her in 60's style skin tight spy gear roaming around London if it is in fact her.

Yea, I got it. I was just taking the joke a step further. ;)

#53 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:19 AM

Post #10,000

You may have actually just given away the plot for Bond 24 tdalton. Upon reading your post, something went off in my head (like an intuitive jolt).

I think this may in fact be the follow on drawing from Skyfall's plot that one of the writers alluded to. They spent quite a bit of time devling into the 00 section's obsolescence in Skyfall. Perhaps something happens in Bond 24 that calls this whole approach into question, and Bond has to show how relevent the 00 section still is. This may also be why there is a supposed British female agent lead (a female 00 perhaps).

The idea is sound and logical.

My personal preference, however, would be a plot which does NOT deal with Bond or the 00-section fighting for relevance.  It´s a Bond film, dammit.  If the character weren´t relevant, they would stop making these films.

Just give him an interesting and entertaining adventure, a mission which is not about him but about stopping a villain.  The personal angle is so overdone it´s not even funny anymore.

#54 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:48 PM

Post #10,000

My personal preference, however, would be a plot which does NOT deal with Bond or the 00-section fighting for relevance.  It´s a Bond film, dammit.  If the character weren´t relevant, they would stop making these films.

Just give him an interesting and entertaining adventure, a mission which is not about him but about stopping a villain.  The personal angle is so overdone it´s not even funny anymore.

I don't think that they should go that route with Bond 24 either.  If that angle was going to be used, it should have been done in Skyfall.

That said, we all know that we're going to get another "this time it's personal" storyline.  EON can't seem to help themselves at this point when it comes to that tired and overused plot device. 

#55 bondjames

bondjames

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:13 PM

Post #10,000

I don't think that they should go that route with Bond 24 either.  If that angle was going to be used, it should have been done in Skyfall.

That said, we all know that we're going to get another "this time it's personal" storyline.  EON can't seem to help themselves at this point when it comes to that tired and overused plot device. 

Agreed. I like many am tired of the 'personal' stuff. They've been doing this on and off since License to Kill and it's annoying.

It appears to me like they are either afraid or appear incapable of just writing a decent, suspenseful story that stands on its own.

It's almost like they are convinced that they have to resort to this 'personal' parlour trick as a plot device to keep the public interested.

Of course, it could be that they've lost faith in their audience to stay interested unless it's personal.....they may be right, but if so, that's sad all round.

At the risk of hurting my argument, I'm also similarly fed up with the Bond "Woman" as Bond's Equal bs. This is a James Bond movie after all, not Wonder Woman. At least some sexism creaped in during the Moneypenny/Bond parts in Skyfall, and I loved it!

#56 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 10:23 AM

I agree, the personal stuff is getting a bit tiresome. 

These are spy movies, not Bridges of Madison County ffs.

#57 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:30 PM

I agree, the personal stuff is getting a bit tiresome. 

These are spy movies, not Bridges of Madison County ffs.

Couldn´t agree more. Good old escapism served us with flair. No more personal stuff, por favor.

#58 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:09 PM

I guess the answer to this thread's title is whether one thought highly of Skyfall.

For my part, Berenice notwithstanding, I did not and so I do not have high hopes for this one either.  Much less when they say they wish to inject more humour.  Like Sir Roger Moore said, I don't think Craig needs humour.  Craig does angry and brutal splendidly.  The humour, less so.

I also hope they rely less on silly coincidences and less on women wittering 'Bond, Wot's going on?  Report.'

Anyway, this certainly will not detract from joining in on all the daily goings on...

#59 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:42 AM

I don't think you'd get agreement on here on whether or not Bond 24 is his best. We can't agree on what is his best so far so we certainly won't be agreeing on Bond 24.

There is no agreement on the best for each of the Bonds or the best 007 movie overall.

The humour I enjoyed in Skyfall included:-

- "Someone usually dies"

- the Komodo dragons

- "It's called a radio"

- M's dog ornament

- Kincade

- Bond adjusting his cuffs when entering the train

All good fun.

#60 Connerybond

Connerybond

Midshipman

• Crew