#31 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:34 PM

Here's another quote from Dalton about it from three days ago:

AVC: The story from several sources has been that you were actually pitched the role of James Bond many years before you eventually accepted it.

TD: I was. After Sean Connery left.

AVC: And you just didn’t feel you were up to it?

TD: Oh, it just seemed like a ridiculous notion! I mean, I was very flattered that someone should even think that I should, but I don’t know, I was in my early 20s, I think, and… hey, look, on an intelligent level, it just seemed idiotic to take over from Sean Connery. I mean, if I was perfect for it, if I thought I’d be brilliant in it, if I’d loved the idea of taking over, I would’ve still said “no.” It is idiotic to take over from Sean Connery at the time when those movies were… I can remember as a kid going to see them. Not a child, but I was a teenager. I mean, you can’t take over for Sean Connery in that series at its height! After Dr. No, after From Russia With Love, after Goldfinger… I don’t know how many more he did, but to me, those were always the three great ones. You don’t take over. So of course I said no.

http://www.avclub.co...fault:1:Default

#32 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:57 PM

I saw the article. He only says taking over from Connery. He doesn't mention the film by name.

Notice also how spotty Dalton's memory is about certain things. For example, he initially gets wrong the order he did "Brenda Starr" and "Hawks". He can't even remember how many Bond films Connery made or what their names are beyond Goldfinger! He gets wrong his claim that he was 17 or 18 when he did "Troilus and Cressida" at the National Youth Theatre. It premiered on stage in 1965 when he was 19! Assuming of course you accept that he was born in 1946. If somebody clings to 1944 then Dalton would have been 21! He can't remember the part he played in a year-long tv series, his first onscreen acting role.

The "OHMSS" quote in the Pfeiffer/Lisa book was made around twenty years after the fact. So please, let's not take it as gospel.

I got lots more to say. In the mean time you may want to check out this thread. http://debrief.comma...dered-for-bond/

And this one too http://debrief.comma...ts/#entry523330

I don't think I'm outing anybody by mentioning that the DoubleNoughtSpy who maintains Dalton was approached for "Diamonds are Forever" is none other than Charles Helfenstein, author of the definite book on the making of OHMSS. He interviewed Peter Hunt who was intimately involved in the OHMSS casting process. See what he has to say about the "Dalton approached for OHMSS" rumors.

#33 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:42 PM

I'm aware of what Peter Hunt said. But, going by your own rules, why should his 27-year-old memories be considered any more reliable than Dalton's?

In any case, if Dalton was approached for OHMSS, Peter Hunt would almost certainly have been unaware of it, anyway. It would have been with the casting director Dyson Lovell at that stage.

#34 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:51 PM

re: The Pfeiffer/Lisa book. Here's the full quote:

There was a time when Sean Connery gave up the role. I guess I, alongside quite a few other actors, was approached about the possibility of playing the part. That was for On Her Majesty's Secret Service. I was very flattered, but I think anybody would have been off their head to have taken over from Connery. I was also too young, Bond should be a man in his mid-thirties, at least - a mature adult who has been around. I was not approached for Live and Let Die, but there was a time in the late 1970s, when Roger may not have done another one, for whatever reason. They were looking around then, and I went to see Mr. Broccoli in Los Angeles. At that time, they didn't have a script finished and also, the way the Bond movies had gone - although they were fun and entertaining - weren't my idea of Bond movies. They had become a completely different entity. I know Roger, and think he does a fantastic job, but they were different kinds of movies. Roger is one of the only people in the world who can be fun in the midst of all that gadgetry. But in truth my favorite Bond movies were always Dr. No, From Russia With Love, and Goldfinger.

I can't tell if Pfeiffer & Lisa personally interviewed Dalton or quoted a newspaper interview they'd read. Journalist/author Tony Crawley has a portion of that quote up on his website but it ends differently. Dalton allegedly says, "But in truth my favorite Bond movies were always…the first three." So who has the accurate quote?

Furthermore the awkwardness of that interjection, "That was for OHMSS." makes me think the interviewer asked Dalton if he could remember what film it was. What if Dalton replies "It was the one Connery didn't do but it wasn't the one Roger did."? How would you interpret that? The way Dalton supposedly says, "That was for OHMSS", makes me think it was a later addition, or the interviewer asked a clarifying question in between Dalton's quoted sentences. Interviewers paraphrase quotes. I've transcribed and edited interviews so I know what happens. How many times have newspapers printed retractions because they misquoted somebody in an interview? How often do people claim they were misquoted?

I've already said in this thread that Dalton apparently said this twenty or so years after the fact. People's memories aren't reliable going back that far. Dalton has certainly shown that in the other interview you cite. Our own Zorin Industries had some telling comments on this subject. I wish I could find his post. He'd worked on a film several years ago and a fan questioned him about it. The fan knew every detail and expected Zorin Industries to remember everything too and the truth is, Zorin Industries couldn't remember. It was just a job for him. It didn't hold the same fascination for him that it did for the fanboy interrogating him. Tell me, Royal Dalton, how sharp is your memory about stuff that happened twenty years ago?

I already mentioned the AV Club interview where Dalton can't even remember how many Bond films Connery did. I don't believe Dalton or Bond actor can immediately identify other actors' Bond films. I don't believe a single Bond actor can properly recite the correct order each film got released. We can. We're fanboys. They aren't. I don't even think the actors can recite in reasonable order the non-Bond films they themselves did without lots of pauses and groans, hemming and hawing. If you don't believe me, go back and re-read Dalton's AV Club interview.

Elsewhere Dalton says he doesn't remember what film he was "up for." In one newspaper interview he couldn't remember the film. He only could say it wasn't the one Roger was up for. I'll try and find the article. I hope it's on the MI6 site 'coz otherwise I'm screwed. Any of you tried using Google News will know what I mean. Google has done almost everything they can to wreck that once wonderful service.

Dalton has several times said the producers didn't contact him until he'd done "Mary, Queen of Scots". He says it on TLD making of documentary. Here are his quotes:

Timothy Dalton: I was about 24, 25 then, had a good career as a young man in films and had done The Lion in Winter, Cromwell, Mary Queen of Scots, Wuthering Heights and Mr Broccoli very kindly asked me if I would be interested."

Timothy Dalton: "I think Bond should be between about 35 and 40 and as a 25, 26 year old you know, it would not have been right."

Am I right in assuming you now don't believe Dalton was born in 1944 and are leaning to 1946? 'Coz 24-25 is 1970-1971. Dalton also gets the order of those films wrong. "Wuthering Heights" came before "Mary, Queen of Scots".

No matter how you parse that first quote, the producers approached him no earlier than 1971. Dalton specifically says this when he mentions his burgeoning career in films. Hint, hint.

Dalton consistently maintains the producers approached him when he was 24 or 25. He's never wavered from that. I've read interviews going back to 1986 where he specifically states how old he was at the time. That's a lot easier to remember than year, or heaven forbid, the Bond film up for grabs. Dalton was born in 1946. When asked in interviews he has always given an age consistent with a 1946 year-of-birth. "The Lion in Winter" press materials say Dalton is 22. In one of the birthday threads somebody mentions an on-set TLD interview where Dalton says he's 40. I think blame for the 1944 year of birth goes to film critic Leslie Halliwell who came up with this year in his "Who's Who" guides. This was in the pre-internet age so a lot of reporters turned to Halliwell's guides. Halliwell was hardly infallible. His guide claimed Guy Hamilton died in 1985. Why did Halliwell get TD's y-o-b wrong? Maybe it had something to do with actor/singer Roger Daltrey who was born in 1944? Daltrey follows Dalton.

But if you still believe that the producers approached TD for OHMSS, then please explain why they contacted an unknown actor with no film credits? George Lazenby had no film credits, you say? George Lazenby actively sought the part. Dalton didn't. On the other hand the producers would contact an actor who had several "leading man" film credits. If anybody still truly thinks the producers contacted TD for OHMSS (let alone saw any Bond potential in "The Lion in Winter"),  then in the considered words of our wise and distinguished member Charles Helfenstein, please put the crack pipe down.

Some people claim the producers saw TD in "The Lion in Winter", and that's why they contacted him for OHMSS. Er, that film didn't get released until October 1968 in the U.S. - after EON had signed George Lazenby. The UK release is even worse - December 1968!

Two Bond historians dispute the "Dalton up for OHMSS" story. Our own Charles Helfenstein, for one. I've already linked to his pointed comments in several other threads. Note he refers to a Good Morning America interview where Dalton either names "Diamonds are Forever" or the year 1971. Stephen Jay Rubin - author of several Bond film reference books - himself also cites DAF. Elsewhere Charles Helfenstein notes that Harry Saltzman took charge finding the new Bond for OHMSS. Broccoli took charge on DAF. Dalton's memories all revolve around Broccoli; no mention of Saltzman.

I've already mentioned Dalton's spotty memory. Hell, it happens to the best of us. But Dalton has claimed or is alleged to have claimed the following:

a. He doesn't remember the film but it wasn't the one Roger did.
b. OHMSS.
c. Around the time of OHMSS.
d. DAF.
e. Around the time of DAF.
f. When he had a good career in films.
g. After "Mary, Queen of Scots" (1971).
h. 1971.
i. When he was 24 or 25.

Peter Hunt claimed that TD was never considered or contacted for OHMSS. Peter Hunt was intimately involved in the Bond casting and so were the producers. John Glen claims TD was considered *around* the time of OHMSS. This opens up the possibility that the producers saw Dalton in "The Lion in Winter" and so contacted him even though OHMSS was in the can but yet to be released.

So we're left with conflicting statements. Ultimately, what does common sense suggest? An unknown actor doing provincial theater who has no film credits or a leading man with a burgeoning film career? If you still think the producers approach an unknown provincial theater actor with no film credits then please share your proof that the producers contacted every actor in the nation. 'Coz that's what they'd have to do in early '68 to learn that TD even existed!

Here's a theory. Dalton genuinely doesn't know what film it was. It was around fifteen years before TLD and around 20 years before that quote in the Pfeiffer/Lisa book. So TD narrows it down. Or maybe Pfeiffer/Lisa do it for him. Or maybe EON productions does it for him. Let's see... Connery had left the series. It wasn't the one Roger did. It's after YOLT but before LALD. That leaves OHMSS and DAF. TD thinks they wouldn't have approached him if they had gotten Connery back for DAF - if you've got Connery you don't need or want anybody else. So by process of elimination this proves it must have been OHMSS. The problem is Connery wasn't scheduled to do DAF. John Gavin was. Connery was a last-minute deal courtesy of David Picker. Broccoli and Saltzman had given up on Connery coming back. So DAF is now back in play. Other actors claim they auditioned for DAF. More and more likely, the producers contacted TD for DAF or around the time of DAF.

I know the TLD DVD documentary pushes the claim that EON considered Dalton for OHMSS. This won't be the first time the filmmakers have made a fact out of a lie or invoked faulty recollection. Broccoli and Saltzman always claimed that Roger Moore was Ian Fleming's first choice for the role in "Doctor No". Fleming had seen Moore in "The Saint" and was very impressed... which as we now know can't be true because "The Saint" didn't premiere until after "Doctor No" opened in Britain. John Gardner has always claimed IFP hired him in 1981. Er, no. Try 1979. Broccoli claimed in a 1985 Starlog interview that over the years he has consistently rejected the idea of hiring an American to play Bond because Bond must be British. (*cough* John Gavin *cough) And there was that infamous Entertainment Tonight interview where Broccoli claimed in 1986 or 1987 that they never considered Brosnan for the role. Dalton was their first and only choice. Seem to recall Broccoli appeared both perplexed and angry. John Glen claims on the "The Living Daylights" DVD that Alan Hume didn't shoot the 1987 Bond film because he got delayed making "Return of the Jedi" (1983!). Lots of Bond scholars always get Saltzman's birthtown wrong. It's Sherbrooke Quebec Canada and not St. John's New Brunswick Canada. Ian Fleming Publications - the official Fleming copyright estate - claims that Kingsley Amis's authorship of "Colonel Sun" was a well kept secret for many years. http://www.ianflemin...ks/colonel-sun/ They seem to imply that Amis's involvement only came out in 1991! So nobody bothered to look at whose name was on the 1968 American first edition hardcover. Does anybody here really believe the book "was a great success on publication" let alone "the intriguing mystery of the author’s identify was well kept."? No? Don't blame you.

#35 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:58 AM

I haven't said, and I don't believe, that the producers themselves ever approached Dalton for On Her Majesty's Secret Service, or that he was ever seriously considered for it by them.

Dalton himself said in that interview, or, at least, the quote is attributed to him, that he was approached for it and turned it down. But he didn't say who approached him.

If it is true that he was approached for OHMSS, then it would almost certainly have been only an initial approach by the casting director to ask him if he'd be interested in auditioning for it, and nothing more than that.

There's no real reason why he couldn't have been approached for it. He wasn't a complete unknown at the time. He'd already played one of the leads in a series shown on national television, and his profile would have been raised by his role in The Lion in Winter, even if the film hadn't been released at that point. And he would have been known to all the casting directors anyway.

Now, you may well be right that he could have got the film title wrong, or that his quote was embellished by somebody else, or whatever. But that can't really be proven one way or the other.

Regarding the 24/25 thing, I think it's highly likely that Dalton first came to Broccoli's attention through Ken Hughes and his role in Cromwell. So, that probably would have been in 1970, when he was 24.

That doesn't necessarily mean that the OHMSS story is wrong, though. They could both be true.

#36 SirCliff

SirCliff

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:19 PM

I think even hypothetically Dalton would be way too young to play Bond in OHMSS but especially because of the nature of the movie it just wouldn't work.  

If any actor would be allowed to do it in their prime or during their Bond era I find it really hard to recast OHMSS.  I think Lazenby's performance leaves alot to be desired - his fight scenes are fantastic but any dialogue is awful and wooden.  

Connery by this stage was visibly bored with Bond but even if OHMSS was filmed earlier I cant see his Bond being convincing in this movie, I cant see how that super cool 60s swagger, sexism and slapping girl's bums man could be falling in love and getting married. I dont think he could pull it off.  

Dalton would have a good go but like Craig they seem too hard edged and rough for the love story.  
Pierce is too hammy and would struggle.  

As ridiculous as it seems if I had to pick another actor for this movie I would go for Moore.  I can see Moore's Bond falling in love with someone and in all Moore's movies he has a good chemistry with the 'girl'.  Clown suits and Tarzan swings aside I think if he had this movie as a starter his whole era would be much better (as much as i enjoy it anyway) as it would have toned down many of the excesses and comic elements.  

I also think it would have changed the franchise, im sure it would have been well received and not got the luke warm reaction Lazenby got and the Moore era would continue in this vein with book to movie adaptations.  

In my opinion..... : )

#37 The Krynoid man

The Krynoid man

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:34 PM

Actually I've often thought that Moore would have been perfect for this film, but never mentioned it for fear of ridicule.

#38 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:49 PM

I haven't said, and I don't believe, that the producers themselves ever approached Dalton for On Her Majesty's Secret Service, or that he was ever seriously considered for it by them.

Dalton himself said in that interview, or, at least, the quote is attributed to him, that he was approached for it and turned it down. But he didn't say who approached him.

If it is true that he was approached for OHMSS, then it would almost certainly have been only an initial approach by the casting director to ask him if he'd be interested in auditioning for it, and nothing more than that.

There's no real reason why he couldn't have been approached for it. He wasn't a complete unknown at the time. He'd already played one of the leads in a series shown on national television, and his profile would have been raised by his role in The Lion in Winter, even if the film hadn't been released at that point. And he would have been known to all the casting directors anyway.

Now, you may well be right that he could have got the film title wrong, or that his quote was embellished by somebody else, or whatever. But that can't really be proven one way or the other.

Regarding the 24/25 thing, I think it's highly likely that Dalton first came to Broccoli's attention through Ken Hughes and his role in Cromwell. So, that probably would have been in 1970, when he was 24.

That doesn't necessarily mean that the OHMSS story is wrong, though. They could both be true.

I don't buy the casting director argument. Every agent who dreamed of riches, and every actor interested in the part contacted EON. EON didn't have to contact anybody other than perhaps a handful of people.

I've always thought Dalton's words here are awfully vague. Doesn't say who he met, where he met them or even if he met them in person.

There's an excellent reason why he wouldn't have been approached. He was an unknown. Yes he had that tv series where he played a rich teenager. However the producers and Peter Hunt were looking for another Sean Connery type. Lazenby? Sure. Dalton. Nope.

I don't think Dalton would have been known to casting directors until after "The Lion in Winter" was released. Notice the gap in his career. Next two films didn't come out until the summer of 1970.

Your Cromwell theory is interesting. Ken Hughes and Broccoli were friends.

#39 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:22 AM

Dalton would have a good go but like Craig they seem too hard edged and rough for the love story.  
Pierce is too hammy and would struggle.  

I'd have to disagree regarding Dalton.  He did quite well with the romantic material in The Living Daylights, which really wasn't all that gritty or hard-edged of a film, but only felt so coming off the heels of Roger Moore's tenure.  I could quite easily see Dalton taking on the events of On Her Majesty's Secret Service and doing quite well with it.  

#40 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:08 PM

Sir Cliff has put forward an intriguing "what if" which wouldn't have occurred to some - what if Roger Moore had appeared in OHMSS. And the more I think about it, the more "Moore" might have worked in it.

OHMSS has a reputation of being a downbeat movie, because of its ending. But apart from that, it is a typical Bond film - drama, adventure, action and humour. Roger Moore could have fit into it quite well. On the one hand, it would have allowed him to demonstrate his acting skills further, with the love story element (And don't forget Moore was trying to branch out a bit at that time into roles that stretched him - "The Man Who Haunted Himself", for example) On the other, OHMSS doesn't lack the lighter touch - the flirting scenes between "Sir Hilary" and Blofeld's  "Angels Of Death" are genuinely funny and risqué, funnier indeed in my view than some of the humour scenes in some of the later Moore movies.

Finally, given that Moore had been around for several years as The Saint but mentioned in dispatches as a potential future Bond, I think one line in the film might have raised an even bigger chuckle - "This never happened to the other fella."