The James Bond Archives - Any Good?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Krest

Krest

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:34 PM

I've been toying with the idea of buying Paul Duncan's "The James Bond Archives" for a while now, but it's still quite expensive (cheapest I've found is £65).  Does anybody have it?  Is it worth investing in?  Interested to hear your opinions!!

#2 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:44 PM

There might be a thread on it already, or one with a few comments. From what I remember reading its a momster of epic per-portions. I think it's like 16 inchs in size and a few inchs think. 

#3 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:43 PM

I got it for my birthday last year.

It's the Panavision of coffee table books.

Like Ed McMahon used to say of Johnny Carson's lists,

"Everything you'd want to know is in there!"

#4 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:16 AM

It's on my wish list anyway...

#5 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:18 AM

It´s a must have.

#6 Poor Man's JB

Poor Man's JB

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:54 PM

I wouldn't recommend it as a first or only Bond reference book but if you're beyond the basic fan, then yes, a must have.

#7 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:54 PM

It's a very beautiful book, but.... the text (interviews etc) are almost completely taken from the already known dvd's and blu ray docu's, So you don't find a lot of new stuff in it. There must be tons more realy never before published material in the so-called archives than what one is getting with this book right now.

Also the pages are -in every book I saw- a lot of times creased or thumbed. For a new sealed book, that is costing so much, I think that is not a realy good thing.

Edited by Grard Bond, 13 April 2014 - 09:57 PM.

#8 Krest

Krest

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:48 PM

Thanks guys!

#9 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 09:55 AM

Recieved the new Spectre version last week and opened it yesterday.

The new version is a bit smaller than the original one, this means everything in the book is the same, but a little bit smaller (which is not always that great, especially with the smaller pictures).

The new Spectre chapter is exellent, it's not just two, or three pages with a couple of photo's (like most releases would do), but a full chapter like the other ones. Realy, realy interesting and beautiful done.

But... if I had to choose I would go for the original bigger one with the Dr. No moviestill in it. It was huge and looked more special.

Edited by Grard Bond, 22 December 2015 - 09:58 AM.

#10 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 02:39 PM

I just hope to get mine sometime soon. Ordered on Cyber Monday at Amazon but still don't have a status. Heard a few other fans also had similar frustrations with it,

I don't mind it being compact so long as the content remains the same. It's not worth paying practically 3 times as much, IMO. With discounts and gift cards I paid a little over $7 for mine. If I ever get it.

It also looks like Some Kind of Hero is running out at the Amazons and Barnes and Nobles as well. That's the other title I really want this season.