If you could include any (007 film or novel ref) in future Craig

36 replies to this topic

#1 JSDude1

JSDude1

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:19 PM

What would they be? I know that CR is supposed to be a reboot, however I, myself don't need James Bond films to be completely accurate. That said I would like a few references which tie the Craig films with past movies. The dir. and producers already did this to a degree in Skyfall (Classic car w gun & reference to exploding pen). I'd like if Daniel Craig's Bond had a picture of Tracy Bond (Diana Rigg) in his wallet or something...

#2 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:54 PM

Bernard Lee, Robert Brown and Judi Dench portraits in MI6 offices would be really cool.

#3 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:37 PM

I'd like a film, for once, that doesn't include any references.  There have been far too many references to the other films in the recent films.

If EON wanted to go out and make a film that was a proper adaptation of You Only Live Twice or something like that, then fine, but any references just for the sake of having a reference shouldn't be included in Bond 24, or any future film for that matter.

#4 Tiin007

Tiin007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:59 PM

I'd like a film, for once, that doesn't include any references.  There have been far too many references to the other films in the recent films.

This is my BIGGEST complaint about the series from 2002 until now. The fact is, the producers seem so bent on giving us winks and nods to previous outings that I find it seriously detracts from the past four Bond movies. The films did great throughout the 70s and 80s without constantly self-referencing previous entries, and I think we need to return to that style. Sometimes it feels like this nostalgia-fest is a poor excuse for a lack of creativity.

And to all those who claim that Die Another Day contained the most references of the bunch, I'm not sure I fully agree- I found QOS and Skyfall to contain just as many, oftentimes less subtle (such as Fields being covered in oil).

The references in Skyfall in particular I did not enjoy because we've been getting these references for about a decade already. No need to continually acknowledge Bond's longevity. Time to move on.

#5 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:18 PM

I could live with a Baron Samedi effigy somewhere in the background of a future set. But I'd really rather have a film unburdened with the ballast of past adventures and tributes to a heritage, however obscure or on-the-nose they are. DN and FRWL didn't need such stuff and by the time of TSWLM it had grown into plain old stealing. That whole self-referential culture already came close to driving the vehicle into the ground once and should best be thrown overboard IMO.

#6 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:27 PM

Bernard Lee, Robert Brown and Judi Dench portraits in MI6 offices would be really cool.

I think I might like that. 

The throwbacks don't need to be in every film but I'm fine with the anniversary ones. I don't think they need to do another till the 75th anniversary. The 60th anniversary just might be to soon and unnecessary. 

#7 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:02 AM

It started way back with George Lazenby's OHMSS. The title credits - which I rather liked - showing scenes from the previous five films. The cleaner in Draco's warehouse whistling "Goldfinger". Bond rifling through his momentos of previous missions, with snatches of previous theme tunes in the background.

I could understand why the film makers did this with OHMSS - a kind of re-assurance that, inspite of the Bond actor not being "the one and only Bond", Sean Connery, the film was still a Bond film. But in general, I don't see any reason for back references unless they are relevant to the story, as with CR & QoS. (That said, I like the idea above of portraits of previous "M"'s on display at MI6.)

What I rarely liked in the Bond series, however, was the use of references, and even music, from other films. TSWLM, for example - we know Bond and Anya are stuck in the desert. Do we need the theme from "Lawrence Of Arabia" as a reminder? Or the theme from "The Magnificent Seven" in MR? Or probably the worst example - a pre-title credits which could have rivalled the one in TSWLM spoilt, imho, by the inclusion of "California Girls" when Bond "surfs". The only scene like that which worked for me was the use of "London Calling" in DAD, segued into some rather sinister music as Gustav Graves arrives at Buckingham Palace.

Sorry to sound a bit "stuffy" about this, but Bond is a strong film series. It doesn't need back references from other genres.

#8 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:54 AM

The only scene like that which worked for me was the use of "London Calling" in DAD, segued into some rather sinister music as Gustav Graves arrives at Buckingham Palace.

That was horrible. A shame that such a great band/song/album's only connection to Bond had to be in this film. Joe Strummer is still spinning in his grave.

I thought the subtle references worked in SF (It is the 50th anniversary, after all). But not in the other films. The DB5 in CR was unnecessary , as was the oil bath in QOS. DAD? well, that whole film was one giant mis-step.

Hopefully from here on they can stop mucking about with the references and just get on with it. Forwards, not backwards people!!

Edited by dtuba, 03 January 2014 - 01:56 AM.

#9 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:51 AM

The only scene like that which worked for me was the use of "London Calling" in DAD, segued into some rather sinister music as Gustav Graves arrives at Buckingham Palace.

That was horrible. A shame that such a great band/song/album's only connection to Bond had to be in this film. Joe Strummer is still spinning in his grave.

In case you're interested, the original music written for that scene was the guitar riff of James Bond theme, followed by Graves' theme. The latter part of the score was used in the movie, but the one they used was played by classic instruments, while the first version was much more electronic.

#10 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:40 PM

It started way back with George Lazenby's OHMSS. The title credits - which I rather liked - showing scenes from the previous five films. The cleaner in Draco's warehouse whistling "Goldfinger". Bond rifling through his momentos of previous missions, with snatches of previous theme tunes in the background.

I could understand why the film makers did this with OHMSS - a kind of re-assurance that, inspite of the Bond actor not being "the one and only Bond", Sean Connery, the film was still a Bond film. But in general, I don't see any reason for back references unless they are relevant to the story, as with CR & QoS. (That said, I like the idea above of portraits of previous "M"'s on display at MI6.)

What I rarely liked in the Bond series, however, was the use of references, and even music, from other films. TSWLM, for example - we know Bond and Anya are stuck in the desert. Do we need the theme from "Lawrence Of Arabia" as a reminder? Or the theme from "The Magnificent Seven" in MR? Or probably the worst example - a pre-title credits which could have rivalled the one in TSWLM spoilt, imho, by the inclusion of "California Girls" when Bond "surfs". The only scene like that which worked for me was the use of "London Calling" in DAD, segued into some rather sinister music as Gustav Graves arrives at Buckingham Palace.

Sorry to sound a bit "stuffy" about this, but Bond is a strong film series. It doesn't need back references from other genres.

I never understood why they used 'California Girls' in AVTAK when the same band 'The Beach Boys' also have a song called "Surfin' U.S.A."

#11 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:20 PM

I never understood why they used 'California Girls' in AVTAK when the same band 'The Beach Boys' also have a song called "Surfin' U.S.A."

For that matter, why not a cover of the Beatles singing "Back in the USSR"?

#12 Leon

Leon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:37 AM

I think they've done quite enough homages. The best way to pay tribute to the classic Bonds would be just to concentrate on writing a brilliant spy story that really delves into and builds the intrigue to then allow for a proper build to big action later on. Also interesting characters with more quirkyness than overtly slick-talking wise-crackers. Maybe also a PTS that isn't directly related to the main plot of the film, as it's been a while.

#13 billy007

billy007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:25 AM

The series has survived for over 50 years, come close to being bankrupt at least twice, and is still considered a family business that rivals  Francis Ford Coppla.  If they want to pay homage let them. They have earned  it. It is still the most recognized series in cinema history.  I will gamble that every reader of this post/website schedules the time to see a new 007 movie as soon as it is released,as well as personal time at home to watch a 007 video.

That being said, Cubby once said to his kids giving them control of EON "When in doubt go back to Fleming"

DON'T FORGET THE BOOKS!

#14 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:32 PM

Because Bond hates listening to Beatles without wearing earmuffs.

#15 Pushkin

Pushkin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

IMHO Skyfall's references were perfect for a film coming out in the franchise's 50th year and it was a lot better than DAD which got too carried away I think.

Moving forward, I think if they do any refences they need to be subtle. For instance, if they had portraits of former Ms as was suggested , the camera should not linger on them but just pass them by quickly. Other references could be something that is more of an inside wink (e.g., the stolen painting in Skyfall - I actually did not know the painting in Dr. No was stolen until a few months before Skyfall came out). If a scene was taking place in Bond's office or home (I would like both please, but for legitimate plot reasons) you could have a momento or two sitting about but not try to draw attention to (e.g., if you wanted to reference Skyfall have the bulldog from M, but not out front).

A few such references are fine, but they should be subtle and not with neon lights (hi everyone look at the reference we're making)... at least not until we get to the 60th anniversary. When they get to that anniversary, perhaps they could have a picture of Diana Rigg and George Lazenby together and have Bond note that it's a picture of his late parents. ;-)

#16 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:17 PM

The only references I'd like would be Craigverse stuff. Like the bone China 'Jack' M gave to Bond in her will, sitting on his desk, for example.

#17 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

Because Bond hates listening to Beatles without wearing earmuffs.

You know what. Surfin USA wouldn't work because I'm an idiot and some reason thought the PTS in AVTAK was in Alaska but that was only where Bond was going, "It's five days until Alaska."

#18 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:59 PM

I loved the use of "London Calling" in DAD, sad and wistful.

I'd love it if when Craig-Bond is in the USA, Sheriff J.W. Pepper gives him a speeding ticket. Hey, you're that secret agent! That British secret agent from England. Who you all chasing this time, boy?

Or Craig-Bond is in the dentist's chair, and Jaws is the dental hygienist.

Or Bond hooks up with Stacey Sutton the next time he's in California. Maybe a three-way with Dr. Christmas Jones.

Don't know why Wilson and Broccoli never return my calls.

#19 Leon

Leon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:14 PM

I'd like if Daniel Craig's Bond had a picture of Tracy Bond (Diana Rigg) in his wallet or something...

What? Why?

That would make NO sense.

#20 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:46 PM

IMHO Skyfall's references were perfect for a film coming out in the franchise's 50th year and it was a lot better than DAD which got too carried away I think.

Moving forward, I think if they do any refences they need to be subtle. For instance, if they had portraits of former Ms as was suggested , the camera should not linger on them but just pass them by quickly. Other references could be something that is more of an inside wink (e.g., the stolen painting in Skyfall - I actually did not know the painting in Dr. No was stolen until a few months before Skyfall came out). If a scene was taking place in Bond's office or home (I would like both please, but for legitimate plot reasons) you could have a momento or two sitting about but not try to draw attention to (e.g., if you wanted to reference Skyfall have the bulldog from M, but not out front).

A few such references are fine, but they should be subtle and not with neon lights (hi everyone look at the reference we're making)... at least not until we get to the 60th anniversary. When they get to that anniversary, perhaps they could have a picture of Diana Rigg and George Lazenby together and have Bond note that it's a picture of his late parents. ;-)

How could Tracy have a son with Lazenby, if she died straight after the marriage? o.O

#21 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:22 AM

How could Tracy have a son with Lazenby, if she died straight after the marriage? o.O

That's not what he meant. Lazenby and Rigg would be Bond's own parents - Andrew and Monique.

#22 Pushkin

Pushkin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:55 PM

That's not what he meant. Lazenby and Rigg would be Bond's own parents - Andrew and Monique.

Glidrose is right. I meant that it would a picture of Bond's parents with a wink to the fans. I am also saying this tongue in cheek as I don't think they would ever do this but I hereby release any intellectual claim to such an idea. Eon please feel free to use it. ;-)

#23 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:37 PM

I'm just afraid that Bond 25 (being the 25th Bond film and all) will be another homage- and reference-filled jokefest al a DAD.

#24 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:51 AM

I don't think they'll do a reference film like DAD or SF until the 75th anniversary, though I wouldn't be surprised if the Bond films until then have a few references like CR and QOS.

#25 Janus Assassin

Janus Assassin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1898 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:19 PM

I wouldn't want any film references. What I would like is unused Fleming material such as:

1. The Garden of Death

2. The Spangled Mob (only would work as henchmen)

3. The Gala Brand character

#26 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:33 PM

I wouldn't want any film references. What I would like is unused Fleming material such as:

1. The Garden of Death

2. The Spangled Mob (only would work as henchmen)

3. The Gala Brand character

Agreed.  If there are to be references, it should be to the unused Fleming material, of which the three that you listed are ones that the series will hopefully adapt at some point.

No more film references, not even for any of the upcoming anniversary films.  The best way to honor the franchise on any of these particular anniversaries is to make the best film possible, not litter the screenplay with a bunch trite references to the older films in order to not-so-subtly wink at the audience, as if to say "look, we've been here for x-number of years".

#27 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:35 PM

If EON wanted to go out and make a film that was a proper adaptation of You Only Live Twice or something like that, then fine, but any references just for the sake of having a reference shouldn't be included in Bond 24, or any future film for that matter.

I think that ain't a half bad idea... however remaking previous entries should be a no no. Rather than remake that, I think they should do something with the parts of the plot that weren't used. 

The film should be Shatterhand and the whole "garden of death" thing could be pretty cool. Also that could be a cool way to re-introduce the Blofeld character, something that I think is a very good idea. Maybe work Our Man meeting Tracy - him marrying her - and then her death into it? 

We've had him meeting Felix Leiter again in the new continuity. I guess having him meet Tracy again isn't out of the realms of possibility. 

#28 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

Actually adapting Fleming's You Only Live Twice wouldn't be remaking EON's film, as practically nothing from the novel, save for the Japan location and a few character names, are included in the film.  They could very easily do a faithful adaptation of the novel and put a different title on it and not really have an issue with that at all.  Tracy, and the Blofeld stand-in, would have to be introduced prior to any adaptation of You Only Live Twice, as the unused portions of that novel can't really be adapted without her having already met her end in a previous installment.

Edited by tdalton, 24 February 2014 - 03:32 PM.

#29 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:24 PM

Actually adapting Fleming's You Only Live Twice wouldn't be remaking EON's film, as practically nothing from the novel, save for the Japan location and a few character names, are included in the film.  They could very easily do a faithful adaptation of the novel and put a different title on it and not really have an issue with that at all.  Tracy, and the Blofeld stand-in, would have to be introduced prior to any adaptation of You Only Live Twice, as the unused portions of that novel can't really be adapted without her having already met her end in a previous installment.

The truth has been spoken! Finally someone who uses logic.

Having Craig's Bond married would be great. They don't necessarily have to adapt OHMSS novel, just introduce a new love interest for Bond in Bond 24, and getting married either at the end of Bond 24 or Bond 25, and the following film could easily be a YOLT adaptation. Then the next movie could be an adaptation of the first part of TMWTGG novel, especially the

Spoiler

#30 Pushkin

Pushkin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:34 PM

Walecs I liked everything you said but think the spoiler you refer to was done in Skyfall and even a bit in TWiNE (though can't remember if it went that far). If I recall the book correctly, part of that plot is also in DAD (what you are refering to happens after Bond is captive for a while right?). But overall, I like the ideas you have and think it could make for a nice thread for 24 and 25.