http://whatculture.c...must-return.php

#2 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

Those arguments were weak. Blofeld never tried to gain world domination - in YOLT Blofeld was working for Red China, nutcases trying to destroy the whole world were Sir Rogers headache. And bringing Tracy back... A terrible idea. And I am one of those who think that readapting Blofeld from the novels is a good idea if done with another name and without the white persian and a nehru jacket.

#3 Sir Godfrey

Sir Godfrey

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

But are you sure that EON are allowed to use Blofeld or SPECTRE ? I thought they didn't have the rights.

Edited by Sir Godfrey, 08 March 2013 - 06:16 PM.

#4 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

I believe the rights are back in the hands of MGM and EON. There was a court case in 1999 where Sony, who owned the rights to Thunderball/Never Say Never Again, agreed to give up anything Bond related - including Blofeld and SPECTRE, in exchange for MGM's rights to Spiderman. McClory still believed he owned the rights to the cinematic Bond and kept up the court cases - but they kept getting thrown out.

McClory died in 2006 and it doesn't look like anyone else will contest the usage in the EON films.

#5 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:45 PM

The fact Blofeld appeared in 007 Legends last year confirms they've got the rights back.

Also, I agree most of the points there are weak; however number 2 is very strong. The fact QOS ended with a cliffhanger, is a good reason to bring Quantum back, with Blofeld as head of them, even if with a new face and without Mr. Bigglesworth.

#6 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

Or I can give you 5 reasons why he shouldn't return

#7 Eric Stromberg

Eric Stromberg

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

It's all just misdirection. 

Blofeld must return because we (yes we) yearn to see another 007 villain in drag--wig, dress, heels, the whole kit.

#8 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:54 PM

Three reasons not to bring back Blofeld...

Austin Powers International Man of Mystery
Austin Powers The Spy Who Shagged Me
Austin Powers Goldmember

#9 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:20 AM

Austin Powers Goldmember

Apparently that means nothing because Madonna sung the theme too AP2 and then they picked her for DAD. Also they are planning on making another Austin Powers film which if I remember correctly will be more about Dr Evil but nothing has been confirmed yet. So if anything it might encourage them. 

#10 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:29 AM

You make very good points.

::shudder::

#11 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:21 AM

Bring Blofeld using the name Dr.Shatterhand..............Blofeld was never done right in the early movies that we still physically and then become other started to copy with a parody version of him.....wasted from the novel.........exception is when we do not see his face just his back or his body only 

#12 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:18 PM

Austin Powers Goldmember

Apparently that means nothing because Madonna sung the theme too AP2 and then they picked her for DAD. Also they are planning on making another Austin Powers film which if I remember correctly will be more about Dr Evil but nothing has been confirmed yet. So if anything it might encourage them. 

I heard the same, but I think the bad guy will be Dr. Evil's son Scott.

#13 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

Whether it´s Blofeld or someone else - I would welcome one big villain pulling strings and not being killed/caught at the end of one film. A villain that would really peel back the layers of Bond because he is just as invincible or prone to resurrection.

#14 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

yeah a villain who is the real mastermind and only mention by name to force bond and others to hunt for him make it a interesting twist

#15 bondjames

bondjames

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:57 AM

Agreed. We ned a big, multi-movie villaiin. And I have the guy for the job, whether he plays Blofeld, or the head of Quantum or whatever. Jeremy Irons. He'll be brilliant and works with Eon's new focus on quality Oscar nominated or winning actors.

#16 jmarks4life

jmarks4life

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:25 AM

I would like to see where the Quantum thing goes first before bringing back in Blowfeld, and Spectre.

#17 JamesPup

JamesPup

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:07 AM

I would like Blofeld to return but there are still many new and fresh ideas that the people that make these movies have. I don't mind them coming up with new and inventive villains. If they ever run into a block they could revisit Blofeld and make a movie or two or three with him in it. I loved Silva and thought Skyfall was great. They just need to do a movie like that one but with a new villain and location. It sounds so fun to make a Bond movie and come up with everything. I would love to have been on the team with the making of a Bond movie. Bond is the best!

#18 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:45 AM

Blofeld could return, along with SPECTRE, but that doesn't necessarily mean the return of the Mao/Nehru style suits, the white Persian cat and the whole late 1960s/early 1970s image which was well and truly sent up by Mike Myers.

There was a screen treatment for TSWLM which tried to do something very different with SPECTRE, it being taken over by younger, radical types - anarchists, Baader-Meinhoff, IRA, those sort. (I understand it never got beyond the screenplay stage because the producers were concerned that some in the audience might sympathise with the villains!)

It's over forty years since we last saw Blofeld and SPECTRE in the official series, excepting that brief appearance in FYEO's pre title credits. And, however much we try and fit the Craig films into the "timeline" of the whole series, to a great extent they are the first three films of a new Bond era. All the traditional elements - M, Q, Moneypenny, Leiter, Tanner - have been re-introduced now, "the same but different" (Most notably Q.) There's no reason now the rights issue has been resolved why Bond's most infamous adversary couldn't be re-imaged for this day and age as well. Blofeld could return, but following the way the reboot films have gone so far he probably wouldn't be a carbon copy of the ones we'd seen before - but he'd still be Blofeld. Quite how he would differ is up to the screenwriter, but I'd expect there would be enough to distinguish the character from the one of the Connery/Lazenby eras whilst still being Ernst Stavro Blofeld.

(The number one reason quoted in the linked article - "Tracey Bond RIP" - I don't think that would work while Daniel Craig is still Bond. His 007 has already loved and lost. However, if a new Blofeld is revealed as the mastermind behind Quantum/aka SPECTRE it would allow an opportunity for final resolution of the loss of Vesper Lynd in CR 2006.)

This character could return. Whether he should, or will, is another matter entirely.

#19 Sir Roger Moore

Sir Roger Moore

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:11 PM

A character somewhat similar to that of Blofeld may well turn out to be behind a worldwide criminal organisation like Quantum in a future Bond film but I'd be highly surprised if EON went down the route of using the name or physical likeness of Blofeld again. Too much time has passed in the Bond universe and I just can't see Blofeld fitting into the Craig films, or even a future Bond actor's films for that matter, but as I said they could well use someone similar.

I'm almost certain we saw the last of Ernst Stavro Blofeld in the pre-title sequence for 1981's For Your Eyes Only when good old Roger dropped the cat stroking, wheelchair bound nutcase down a huge industrial chimney stack from a helicopter.

#20 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:44 PM

I wouldn't mind if they went back to Quantum but I really don't want Blofeld to return. I think that's been done already before and I think it's good if we come up with something original, something Bond hasn't faced before. 

#21 FlemingBond

FlemingBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:14 PM

As far as Austin Powers, if they brought Blofeld back they don't have to bring him back bald or in a grey 1960s suit. He wasn't bald in the novels. He wasn't going to be on film until they happend to hire Donald Pleasance.

That being said, i think it's a mistake to rehash something that's already been done. He was only in 3 Bond novels, so he got onscreen more than that in the films. He should have been handled better after OHMSS, but that's all been done.

It would be cool to have a SPECTRE-like organization. They were ahead of their time in  a way. They didn't care about world domination, they were just out for the money. Much like Quantum. "East-West, just points on a map".  They were going to survive no matter who was running the countries.

#22 The Krynoid man

The Krynoid man

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:44 PM

I don't think that Blofeld should be brought back as a main villain. He should be the mysterious character, plotting in the shadows like in FRWL and Thunderball. If they are going to make him a main villain, then they should portray him the way he is in OHMSS, still a master plotter but with a physicality that makes it belivible that he could take on Bond. I worry that the producers won't realise what made the character so memorable and effective in the 60's films, and we'll just end up with another Charles Grey (and lord knows one film like DAF is bad enough).

#23 Zen Razor

Zen Razor

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 87 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:04 AM

I have to agree I would rather see Blofeld as a character hidden in the shadows than one that takes most of the screen time. I mean it's not a bad idea to have him most of the time but it adds more mystery to the character, But than again I believe everyone should already know who Blofeld is by now.