60 replies to this topic

#31 BlackFire

BlackFire

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:57 PM

Cancun, Mexico. Y'know, just for a beach sake.

#32 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:09 PM

I think it just depends on what country gives the most tax breaks (?). In any case the producers should consider Dubai, but I agree with most of the posters that Bond should go to a snowy location (Switzerland perhaps) at least once in Craig's tenure. The cold sites were overused in Broz's films, so I can see why the producers won't consider it. 

#33 DrShatterhand

DrShatterhand

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:52 AM

Dubai would've been an obvious one with plenty of scope for hanging out in a rich man's playground with the backdrop of some stunning architecture. But like you say, Ghost Protocol got there first so unlikely.

Definitely would like some snow, if even only for a PTS where Bond is on an infiltration or recovery mission. Some where Eastern and remote, say Kazakhstan?

Other than that, I like the suggestion of Berlin, Bond always seem best in old Europe. As for the US, I've always hated it when Bond is set anywhere there, just seems way out of his jurisdiction

#34 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:17 AM

Snowy locations: Kitzbühel, Austria, Kola Peninsula, Norwegian Arctic coast and Finnmark.

#35 Pushkin

Pushkin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:32 PM

CANADA FOR GOD SAKE!

I agree but let's make sure we take it right out of the source material and have him stop by Ottawa!  I recall reading For Your Eyes Only and feeling thrilled when he came to my home town. Fleming even named one or two streets! Incidentally, when I was looking for information on this online I came across a real JB in the local newpaper who passed on seven years ago: 

http://www.legacy.co...76609&fhid=5973

#36 JamesPup

JamesPup

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:20 PM

I liked Russia, India, Japan, and United Kingdom the best, not in any order. I like the idea of Germany though. I could use some Nazis myself.

#37 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:51 AM

If Bond goes to Canada can he ski? I think it would be good to have an opening where we see Daniel Craig escaping from bad guys on a hill, kind of like the Spy Who Loved Me.

#38 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:34 PM

Vancouver for sure! Close enough for me to drive up there and have a looky-loo.

#39 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:53 AM

Australia

Denmark

#40 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:57 PM

the rumour about the Bond 24 girls indicate somewhere from Northern Europe could be a choice.......so sweden norway? denmark? finland? 

#41 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:39 AM

I'll still stick by most of the places I've already said:

1. San Sebastian-Donostia, Spain

2. Vancouver

3. Hokkaido, Japan

4. Hawaii

5. Australia

6. South Africa

7. Middle East

#42 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:48 PM

Australia is another really good choice. 

#43 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:58 PM

With the rumors of a Swedish Bond girl and a black Bond villain, Sweden and South Africa may be good guesses as to where he IS going next.

Dave

#44 Bourbon Woman

Bourbon Woman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:45 PM

New places to go:

Argentina - varied geography and rich history, history of conflict with UK would add dramatic spice

Australia - plenty to do here, with obvious Commonwealth connections

the Channel Islands - if the villain is a tax exile, perhaps

Canada - Commonwealth again, plus winter sports and a lot of space to hide a giant space laser

Dubai - it's like a real-world Ken Adam set

Himalayas - extreme setting, rich history

Iraq - still very dangerous, but not so much in the news that it would be "ripped from the headlines"

Ireland - or maybe Northern Ireland - obvious terrorism angle

Israel - plenty of reasons for a superspy to visit, and a good excuse for a Felix Leiter appearance

Malta - connections to the UK, and an all-around picturesque and odd place

New Guinea - wild, beautiful, and the perfect place for a supervillain to conceal himself

Socotra, Yemen - a weird island that MGW has probably already thought of using

South India - richest part of India, and full of potential for mayhem, perhaps connected with the film industry

Texas - Felix Leiter's birthplace, and plenty of color and drama; I just want a scene of Bond buying ammo at Wal-Mart

Spain - I guess Bond has already visited Spain, but only for a few minutes in a PTS. I want a whole act of a film to take place in Spain, preferably in a colorful and distinctive place like Grenada or Barcelona. 

Zanzibar - if only because the name "Zanzibar" sounds so cool

Places to return to:

Brazil - It's been more than thirty years since Bond's last trip to Brazil, and that was a brief touristic sojourn. A lot more could be done with such a huge setting. 

Japan - Almost forty years since YOLT, so it's high time. A proper Japanese villain would be great.

Russia - It's been almost twenty years since GE, and "things are very different now". Bond in Moscow would be interesting.

Locations to keep away from, because they've been overused:

Caribbean islands in general

France - unless they choose a non-cliche part of France, like a seedy Corsican bar in Marseilles or a farmhouse in Normandy or something.

Florida

Italy - as with the Caribbean islands, it sometimes feels like the producers are confusing "interesting location" with "pleasurable shoot" 

I'd also like to see another fictional setting, like Isthmus in LTK. A fictional setting allows a lot of narrative freedom. The government can be as corrupt and malevolent as necessary, without offending anybody in the real world. 

#45 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:33 AM

Spain - I guess Bond has already visited Spain, but only for a few minutes in a PTS. I want a whole act of a film to take place in Spain, preferably in a colorful and distinctive place like Grenada or Barcelona. 

I'd also like to see another fictional setting, like Isthmus in LTK. A fictional setting allows a lot of narrative freedom. The government can be as corrupt and malevolent as necessary, without offending anybody in the real world. 

I've suggested Spain several times (I mean I live here, but I'm not biased or anything ;)). It's a major European country that has been all but ignored by the Bond films, for the most part. We got the short scene in the PTS of TWINE, that took place in an office and didn't show any of Bilbao, and a basically uncredited appearance in FYEO. I think it may have had to do with Franco's reign that Spain has been skipped by the Bond films, but that's been over for 40 years. Setting a portion of the Bond films in the Basque Country, say in San Sebastian or Bilbao (properly), could allow for the use of ETA (or a fictional version of it) into the plot. All that said, how has James Bond NOT gone to Barcelona in 23 films?

#46 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:40 AM

London (Briefing)

The Azores (Central and/or Oriental Islands of the archipelago)

Mainland Portugal (Lisbon or Porto)

Spain (Barcelona)

The Pyrenees (Ski chase anyone?)

in that order

#47 SkyfallCraig

SkyfallCraig

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:57 AM

Absolutely Rome. It's absurd Bond never had a mission in the most amazing city in the world

#48 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:52 PM

With tongue firmly in cheek, I'm tempted to say Mount Rushmore, South Dakota. Having done homage to the crop duster scene in North by North West with the Bond-v-helicopter bit near the end of FRWL, it would be an opportunity to recycle that other memorable bit from the Hitchcock classic. As I say, though, with tongue in cheek on my part! ;)

As for other locations - South Africa's long overdue (For understandable reasons up until the 1990s), as is Australia and Canada. Or even New Zealand (Very nice scenery, as any Tolkien film fan will know.) Scandinavia as well (Finland provided the backdrop for the Michael Caine film "Billion Dollar Brain".)

But there's a danger of trying to shoehorn a story into a location just so Bond can tick the "been there, done that" box. The story should come first. One other consideration - cost. Bond doesn't have to actually "go" to another country to appear there in the film - remember the North Korean scenes in DAD? Filmed in that well known suburb of Pyongyang known as "Wales"?  ;)

#49 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:23 PM

But there's a danger of trying to shoehorn a story into a location just so Bond can tick the "been there, done that" box. The story should come first. One other consideration - cost. Bond doesn't have to actually "go" to another country to appear there in the film - remember the North Korean scenes in DAD? Filmed in that well known suburb of Pyongyang known as "Wales"?  ;)

After the billions that Skyfall has raked in, I'm sure money is not an issue. Permits, on the other hand, are. I believe it was a major factor in moving Skyfall's PTS from India to Istanbul. As for location shooting, I am not a fan of using more convenient places as a stand in. Pyongyang wasn't actually featured. I believe it was just set in the DMZ which is mainly forest, so really any forested areas could stand in. But as for using cities, it wouldn't work. Imagine being forced to use a set in London to double for Shanghai or Tokyo. It just doesn't work. I remember a film (unfortunately not the name) that was set in Philadelphia, but is embarrassingly obvious that it was filmed in Glasgow. If Bond were to go to the African savannah or Johannesburg, I would actually want the production set to feature in the African savannah or Johannesburg. If not, Bond didn't really go to Africa. He just went to a backlot in London (again).

#50 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:37 PM

How about the Scandinavian countries? Sweden, Norway or Finland?

#51 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:04 PM

After the billions that Skyfall has raked in, I'm sure money is not an issue. Permits, on the other hand, are. I believe it was a major factor in moving Skyfall's PTS from India to Istanbul. As for location shooting, I am not a fan of using more convenient places as a stand in. Pyongyang wasn't actually featured. I believe it was just set in the DMZ which is mainly forest, so really any forested areas could stand in. But as for using cities, it wouldn't work. Imagine being forced to use a set in London to double for Shanghai or Tokyo. It just doesn't work. I remember a film (unfortunately not the name) that was set in Philadelphia, but is embarrassingly obvious that it was filmed in Glasgow. If Bond were to go to the African savannah or Johannesburg, I would actually want the production set to feature in the African savannah or Johannesburg. If not, Bond didn't really go to Africa. He just went to a backlot in London (again).

But didn't Bond actually go to Africa, or not very far from it, in CR when he had that parkour chase around that building in Madagascar? Filmed, I assume, nowhere near the island (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

#52 Janus Assassin

Janus Assassin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1898 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:27 PM

I'd like to see Paris used again soon. We really only saw it briefly in AVTAK. Australia, South Africa come to mind as well.  

#53 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:14 PM

my choices for locales:

Ireland

Argentina

Uruguay

South Africa

Singapore

Indonesia

Saudi Arabia

Barcelona, Spain

Australia

Sweden

#54 The Krynoid man

The Krynoid man

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:10 PM

He should go to New Zeland and team up with Worzel Gummage to defeat Sauron's evil army of Orcs.

Edited by The Krynoid man, 17 May 2014 - 07:10 PM.

#55 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:26 AM

With the World Cup in 2014, and the Olympics in 2016, Rio would seem like a likely location – would love to see 007 back there after only a brief glimpse in Moonraker.

#56 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:18 PM

With the World Cup in 2014, and the Olympics in 2016, Rio would seem like a likely location – would love to see 007 back there after only a brief glimpse in Moonraker.

I'd like to see them feature Rio again as a location as well. 

#57 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:29 PM

South Africa is home to any number of mansions that look like a Bond villain could live there:breathtaking-first-crescent-house-in-sou

The Tat house in Johannesburg:modern-residence-South-Africa-House-TAT.

Glen Avenue in Higgovale, Cape Town:glen_higgovale_s251012_1.jpg

#58 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:04 AM

And if we find Bond in Sweden, maybe they should use part of the Stockholm metro, which is like a big art gallery.  Mostly, though, there's the rather foreboding looking part of it:

5983982249_29d0fc4d41_z.jpg

stockholm-metro-1.jpg

http://upload.wikime...0050808_002.jpg (this picture is even better IMO but too large to share here)

Dave

Edited by rubixcub, 26 May 2014 - 01:13 AM.

#59 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:12 AM

Stockholm is also picturesque at night:

stockholm-night-view-453.jpg

Dave

#60 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 02:42 AM

But didn't Bond actually go to Africa, or not very far from it, in CR when he had that parkour chase around that building in Madagascar? Filmed, I assume, nowhere near the island (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

Weren't the Madagascar scenes filmed in the Bahamas?