This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Clive Owen: Was he ever seriously considered?

35 replies to this topic

#31 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:49 PM

I think he would've been perfect. But then Craig is my least-favourite Bond.

#32 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:26 PM

Clive Owen to be the Next Bond?

"Respected director Robert Altman reckons Brit Clive Owen is sure to the offered the role of James Bond - but hopes he won't take it. Altman, who helmed such Hollywood classics as Short Cuts, The Player and Mash, directed Owen in Gosford Park. And while he thinks the suave star is a shoo-in to be offered the 007 role when Pierce Brosnan quits, Altman thinks it would be a terrible move for his protege. He says, "People keep saying that he should be the next James Bond. I hope he doesn't do it because that would lock him into that role as an actor. But I have no doubt that he will be asked, because he has all that Bond-type stuff." Owen himself is far less certain about his chances - he just laughs, "This Bond rumor started because I wore a tux in Croupier."

#33 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 02:14 AM

From the previous page: I think Ewan McGregor would've been excellent. Though perhaps not straight after Brosnan. I think Craig was, and is, exactly what the franchise needs right now. However after his stint, I think an Ewan McGregor type would be a good idea. More on the comedic, well dressed side. Still able to throw a hard punch and drive a fast car, but not directly competing with the rough and tumble of Craig.

#34 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 02:31 AM

I wanted Owen to be Bond back in 2005 but I wasn't aware of Craig at the time.

As for Jackman, I was sure I heard or read an interview with Barbara Broccoli saying she never considered him as she didn't think he was manly enough. At the time, he was performing (dancing/singing) in The Boy from Oz.

#35 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 05:02 AM

As for Jackman, I was sure I heard or read an interview with Barbara Broccoli saying she never considered him as she didn't think he was manly enough. At the time, he was performing (dancing/singing) in The Boy from Oz.

I remember that quote but never thought this was accurate.  Broccoli produced the Broadway play which starred Jackman and Craig, and if you have seen Jackman perform you will know one thing: manly he definitely is.  I´m sure Jackman was on their radar as Bond but he already was Wolverine.  That, IMO, was already one reason to disqualify him.  Also, they were looking for a different type - Craig.

#36 trevanian

trevanian

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:29 PM

I remember that quote but never thought this was accurate.  Broccoli produced the Broadway play which starred Jackman and Craig, and if you have seen Jackman perform you will know one thing: manly he definitely is.  I´m sure Jackman was on their radar as Bond but he already was Wolverine.  That, IMO, was already one reason to disqualify him.  Also, they were looking for a different type - Craig.

Babs may have been looking at Craig alone, but in terms of type, Cavill is not Craig's type in the slightest. In fact, Cavill would have probably been perfect, given the notion that this was a YOUNG agent and somewhat immature -- plus he looked the part. Even Worthington (who is surprisingly good in THE DEBT) would have been better age-wise and therefore credibility-wise. If they really wanted to go older, they shouldn't have kept the BondBegins thing, which is now even more confused given he has has gone from rookie Double-0 to burn-out case very very fast.