#1 Forward Look

Forward Look

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2062 posts
  • Location:Atlanta, Georgia USA - home of the 1996 Summer Olympic Games

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

Strange Report is a short-lived British television series, produced by ITC and broadcast on both the BBC and on North American network television, for the 1969-70 TV season only. I remember seeing this show in America during my childhood, thinking it was similar to the Bond films and Roger Moore's The Saint. And indeed it was, with known British actor Anthony Quayle turning in a credible performance as Dr. Adam Strange, a retired MI-5 criminologist freelancing to solve bizzare crimes in the UK and in swinging 60s London. Supporting cast members Kaz Garas and Dr. Who veteran Anneke Wills account well for themselves as they help Quayle's Strange character solve cases. Strange Report was shown in Britain and the USA, is available on DVD, and the show still has a small following of fans but has not been mentioned in this section of the CBn forums. Does anyone else on this forum remember Strange Report?

http://en.wikipedia..../Strange_Report

#2 saint mark

saint mark

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

Have seen one episode because it was on the Return of the Saint boxset from Australia as an extra because Ian Ogilvy was in it. Hard to make a judgement based upon it.

#3 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

I got it on box set. Very good show. Only finished because Quayle thought he had made enough episodes (as a film/theatre actor, he wasn't quite used to making television). Good use of character actors in it too (Frank Windsor, Robert Hardy etc).

Edited by DavidJones, 02 January 2013 - 05:38 PM.

#4 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

I also have the boxed set, and I remember the series when it first came out in the late 1960s. It was from the same ITC stable as a lot of my favourite TV shows from that time, such as The Saint, The Baron, Department S and so on. And yes, it was very good too. The last episode I watched featured Thunderball's Guy Doleman as a rabble rousing British politician being manipulated by sinister outside influences - Strange (Anthony Quayle) investigates.