19 replies to this topic

#1 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:03 AM

I could listen to him talk shop all day. Some really nice anecdotes about the production of the film. Really, really good stuff here, and well worth a watch.

#2 Clements

Clements

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:25 AM

Fantastic, Matt. Thanks for sharing this. I loved the part about the first time Bardem appeared on set in character. :)

It's revealing to hear about Mendes figuring out how long the set had to be for Silva's rat monologue. I just assumed that kind of thing would be delegated to the crew. Nice to see him involved and invested to that level of detail.

Edited by Clements, 11 December 2012 - 04:32 AM.

#3 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

Yes the insight into Bardem's character is quite good. Very interesting that the whole chapel scene was his idea!

#4 plankattack

plankattack

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

Great find. 

This was an excellent interview, with the previously mentioned insight. I found the discussion on P&W and Logan's role fascinating.

#5 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

Great interview and thanks for sharing. I get the impression he may very well return to direct a future installment. 

#6 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

Certainly doesn't rule out the possibility. If anything he comes right out and says that once he has recharged, he'd be more than willing to go for round two.

#7 Yellow Pinky

Yellow Pinky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 338 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

Wow!  Excellent stuff there!  Great find... Thanks for posting this!

#8 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

Yes, this is very good - Thanks Matt.

#9 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

Really excellent. Thanks for posting.

#10 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:55 AM

Knew you guys would like it. I hope he records a commentary track for when the film is released in March. That would really be something.

#11 supernova

supernova

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:00 AM

Its an excellent interview -- but would have liked it even longer - so many questions. Commander Bond can invite him along for a live question and answer session -- you think!

#12 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

Very interesting interview. As Matt says, this makes me excited for the audio commentary.

Also, I guess this confirms that Peter Morgan's "big hook" was the death of M.

#13 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

Also, I guess this confirms that Peter Morgan's "big hook" was the death of M.

Indeed, although Purvis and Wade say that idea had even been around since a draft of QUANTUM OF SOLACE, so I guess it may be something that the producers had been pushing for for a while.

#14 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

Really? That sure gives the lie to their public gushing over her. Based on interviews and press conferences, you might have thought they were planning to cling to Judi Dench until the heat death of the universe. Not that there's anything mysterious about that. As long as they're committed to an actor, it's in their interest to profess undying infatuation. But it makes me doubt even more that they have any sincere desire to retain Craig beyond their current two-film commitment.

#15 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

I guess Dench was looking to get out for reasons of age and her declining eyesight.

#16 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

That was also my assumption. But if the producers were considering killing her off in QOS, it sounds more like she was pushed.

#17 plankattack

plankattack

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

That was also my assumption. But if the producers were considering killing her off in QOS, it sounds more like she was pushed.

I don't know - I kind of think it was the opposite. P&W said that they'd considered killing her off in QoS - but I don't remember them attributing that idea to anyone but themselves. If anything, I suspect they/Haggis came up with the idea, and the producers put the blocks on it. I think EON have always been proud of having Dench onboard - let's not forget, she was the only person who made it through the "reboot."

I'd heard a story a while back that in fact that she had said that SF was going to be her last (for all the reasons listed elsewhere) and it's at that moment that M became the focal point. I've also heard someone (Mendes in another interview, P&W maybe???) that claim that there is very little of Morgan left in the script. Even as far as the big hook wasn't even "his".

#18 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

I remember listening to an interview with Morgan during which he related that he did not believe Bond made sense in our modern world, that it was a ridiculous notion that one man was gallivanting across the globe saving everyone from annihilation. Skyfall questions Bond's relevance in the modern era, the very notion Morgan seemed to possess, then seemingly sticks up a solid middle finger to the idea that he should be retired. It was evident that he was not a fan. As I said, only individuals who foster real love and appreciation for the character should be allowed near the production of these films. Listening to Mendes and seeing his enthusiasm when he discusses the film only solidifies this fact. You have to love Bond to work on a Bond. It simply can't be "another job."

Ah, here we go. 1:09.

http://www.youtube.c...v=PPOclBPE58E#!

#19 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

Really? That sure gives the lie to their public gushing over her. Based on interviews and press conferences, you might have thought they were planning to cling to Judi Dench until the heat death of the universe. Not that there's anything mysterious about that. As long as they're committed to an actor, it's in their interest to profess undying infatuation. But it makes me doubt even more that they have any sincere desire to retain Craig beyond their current two-film commitment.

I think Eon like and respect Dench, they’ve very much enjoyed working with her. But they’re sensible enough to know that realistically she had reached the end as M.

Presenting MI6 as a home for the elderly and infirm is best left back in OP and AVTAK.

They wanted to give Dench a worthy exit story and her fate in Skyfall is the result.

#20 FlemingBond

FlemingBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:35 AM

great interview. interesting he pretty much said straight out he'd consider doing another.

as to the part about 'commercial movies'that don't require you to think.... and art house movies..well we've been in that place for at least a decade,