17 replies to this topic

#1 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:17 AM

Just curious to hear others' thoughts on this. Throughout the first 21 Bond films, Bond never once wears jeans at any point. However, in the climaxes of both Quantum of Solace and Skyfall Bond is wearing jeans. I just find it interesting that in the newer films he tends to wear more casual clothing as opposed to suits all the time.

#2 FOX MULDER

FOX MULDER

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:28 AM

Can you imagine Connery - as Bond - in jeans, drinking a bottle of lager? 

Different times, different level of class.

Realism is overrated, if you ask me. Bond should always be smart, no matter what he's doing. 

But then, I thought Roger Moore's leather jacket in A View to a Kill was pushing it a bit...

#3 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:15 AM

Craig's got one of those in Skyfall too....

#4 Zographos

Zographos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:38 AM

Edit: grappling with this quote glitch

Edited by Zographos, 05 December 2012 - 02:40 AM.

#5 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:06 AM

The wardrobe in SKYFALL doesn't really bother me all that much. I think it would have been rather inappropriate to have Bond running around during the finale wearing a suit as well. Also, the film has so many other problems that its wardrobe choices really don't rank anywhere near the top of the list.

#6 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:15 AM

Man tdalton, you really are not a fan of Skyfall at all.

#7 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:44 AM

In the book DOCTOR NO Bond is actually wearing jeans on Crab Key.

#8 supernova

supernova

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:19 AM

Really liked the suits Daniel Craig wore in Skyfall -- the material was gorgeous. Particularly noticed this when he was in the digger cab on the train and and there was a long close up of his hand on a control lever -- the moment gave a nice product placement moment for his Omega watch -- and at the same time noticed how expensive and elegant the suit fabric was from his suit sleeve.

However, my peeve is, all his suits (including tuxedo) were TOO SHORT AND TOO TIGHT. The designer for the movie has said that the intention was to give an impression of James Bond 'breaking out of his suits,' -- I suppose like some kind of spandex comic hero. However don't think their objective worked and the tight clothes looked hot, uncomfortable and plain ridiculous.

#9 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

Can you imagine Connery - as Bond - in jeans, drinking a bottle of lager? 

Different times, different level of class.

Realism is overrated, if you ask me. Bond should always be smart, no matter what he's doing. 

But then, I thought Roger Moore's leather jacket in A View to a Kill was pushing it a bit...

Yeah, I actually could see Connery pulling that off, especially as that was so much closer to him in real life. In Dr. No he wore something similar to denim in the Crab Key sequences.

Moore, Brosnan and Dalton, no. Lazenby maybe.

#10 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:07 AM

I agree, I think Connery could in certain films. Definitely Dr. No, it was close but not denim. Thunderball would've worked, however, he only ever wore suits or swimming trunks (save for the one small scene at Shrublands). He could've pulled it off in YOLT too. Lazenby maybe and heck I think Dalton could've too, but not Moore or Brosnan.

#11 supernova

supernova

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:55 AM

WHY ARE DANIEL CRAIG SUITS SO TIGHT IN SKYFALL - DOES NOBODY ELSE CARE ABOUT THIS?

#12 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

I think, they were great and made to show of his body - as easy as that. The clothes designer said so herself. So - you either lke it or not, but here we go...I like to see some muscle underneath a suit or pants...nothing wrong with that..

#13 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

I think the suits fit him best in Skyfall. The Brioni suits in CR didn't fit him terribly well, and while the QoS suits were nice, as others have mentioned above, the fabric in Skyfall is really great. I like the way they look. That's how I'd like my suits to fit me, anyway.

#14 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

Doesn't Connery wear jeans in Dr No? Moore is seen in double-denim and a vest in Live and Let Die.

What are we talking about again, changing times or something?

#15 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

No, Connery wears blue clothes but not jeans and I don't Moore did either. I remember him wearing khaki pants and a blue shirt in the bayou, but not jeans.

#16 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

Well Connery's blue trousers are very jeans-like for the beach scene in DN and Moore's fishing get-up in LALD is almost exactly like a full denim outfit. 

Still, how times have changed - once we only had stuff that looked very, very like jeans - now we have jeans. Stop the world, I want to get off!

#17 delfloria

delfloria

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

Ah yes changing times............ The real question is what kind of hat is he going to throw onto the cloths rack in the next film. Stingy Brim Fedora........... Baseball cap (with the size sticker still on it)???????

#18 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:48 PM

Ah yes changing times............ The real question is what kind of hat is he going to throw onto the cloths rack in the next film. 

Hatstand, please.