What makes you think...

39 replies to this topic

#31 Howland

Howland

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

I think he was goading Silva too. But at the same time, 6 years had passed between QoS and SF and as Q says "field operatives must often use every means at their disposal to achieve their objectives." So it's possible that Bond has had some form of homosexual encounter previously, if the mission necessitated it.

I could not imagine that in a million years, Bond seducing a man! :D But each to their own, it's an amusing thought, and a
really great line/scene.

For England James !! No... For me

#32 FlemingBond

FlemingBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

i thought it was just a bit of verbaul dueling with Silva, although not one i would have used in that situation LOL.

#33 Howland

Howland

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

i thought it was just a bit of verbaul dueling with Silva, although not one i would have used in that situation LOL.

Because you know someone who would have been in this situation... ?

#34 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

I picked up on that in the theater and I did NOT read nearly as much into it as the mainstream media did. (but then they HAVE to. They've got papers to sell don't they?). That being said, I don't think Bond is gay. I don't think Silva was either, for that matter. I think it was just a matter of circumstance; an opportunity to to make Bond uncomfortable during an interrogation. That's what I suspect Bond was referring to when he mentions his "first time".

Moreover, it surprises me that so much emphasis has been made over this one innocous scene when in fact, hardly ANYTHING was mentioned about LeChiffe's interrogation with Bond in 2006. Now there was scene that could have been interpreted as homo-erotic, though no less creepy. ("I've got a little itch... down there. Would you mind?") Sinister and frightening as Bond is naked, helplessly tied to a chair. And yet nobody was even phased in the slightest.

I do not feel that the producers need to alter Bond's image in order to appeal to a gay audience. I think he'd be just fine as he is.

Edited by Miles Miservy, 30 November 2012 - 03:30 PM.

#35 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

I didn't read much into it either. I figured Silva was just trying to make Bond as uncomfortable as possible, and the "first time" comment was just Bond trying to retort and turn the tables a little bit.

#36 jamie00007

jamie00007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:34 AM

It was obvious bravado, I really dont understand how anybody could read any more into it. The whole point of the scene was Silva trying to mess with Bond and intimidate him, he even says something like "Has your training prepared you for this?", knowing (as a former MI6 agent) full well that it hadnt and that Bond had been trained for every other interrogation technique.Its psychological warfare. Bond's reply is him being a smartass and showing that he is unphased. No different than the "waste of good scotch" line in the next scene.

#37 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:05 AM

The scene in question, imho, has Bond showing he isn't the least bit impressed with Silva's attempt to unsettle him. And in a movie with a fair number of references to previous Bond films - albeit done rather more subtly than in DAD - this scene is meant to remind one of the episode in CR when Bond is tied to a chair and something rather more damaging is done to him. And even then, in the throws of agony, he manages to turn the tables on the villain - "I've got a little itch, down there. Would you mind?"

Even M gets a mention in this SF "homage" to CR: Bond - "Well, she's never tied me to a chair before". Silva - "Her loss!"

So does this scene in SF show Bond is bi-sexual? Well, he went to an all boys public school, so we can't rule out a homosexual approach from a fellow pupil. But is Bond similarly inclined? After all those ladies, I doubt it! ;-)

#38 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

Yeah I just thought it was just counter banter to Silva. I mean Bond is not homosexual.

#39 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:37 AM

The part with Ronson was there to pave the path of M doing the same thing to Bond ("take the bloody shot"). When Bond went to Ms flat, he clearly showed a grudge with the way M handled the situation. Ronson was nothing more than a fellow agent and maybe a friend.

Did anyone else hope they'd refer to Ronson as 003?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#40 Howland

Howland

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

Didn't think much about it. Actually what would have been cool, is to know how they call the lesser agents which are not Double 0. Maybe refer to Ronson as simple 0 three, something like that.