#1 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

Hi,

In the past few days, I've done a piece of Bond music that is hopefully in the vein of John Barry, which I'd like to share. It's a traditional gunbarrel sequence with music for Bond infiltrating a Russian base by changing identities or something. I didn't really have a particular scene in mind, just diddled away (and included some bars of Adele's Skyfall).

Hope you'll like it:

#2 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

And here is an arrangement of Adele's Skyfall as a lounge/jazzy version:

#3 Satorious

Satorious

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 470 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:17 AM

Yeah - I rather like these. Is there a reason you seem to be posting midi representations - rather than beefing things up using a sample library such as VSL or equivilent? Or are you just doing it to show-case your orchestrational prowess? :)

#4 Dan Gale

Dan Gale

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 185 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

I love John Barry. I love the simplicity of his later music. He'd find a bit of melody that worked for one bar then repeat it. Then embellish it and repeat that. Then end on along double note. That simple rule of thumb got him through many scores from 1983 onwards. It's such a simple style it's amazing more people (David Arnold especially) don't mimic this. I guess it would seem to be pastiche if they did - but if it works, why not use it?! Barry's style, once he'd got the Moog's, zithers and choirs out of his system, was very simple and you've tried to emulate that, something I appreciate.