91 replies to this topic

#1 Colombo

Colombo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

Just got back from the first screening of SKYFALL (and in my opinion it's the Craig era high-water-mark 3rd entry/Goldfinger that I've been hoping for B) )

But while the final third of the movie was on, I couldn't help thinking what if the producers managed to convince Sean Connery to play Kincade? I wonder if that was ever a thought or possibility that may have entered their minds?

Even if it was, considering SC's retirement from movies & hands-off stance re the 50th anniversary so far, it would have no doubt been rejected by him. But I cant help wondering, 'what if'?.... "Jamesh? Jamesh Bond?" :rolleyes:

On the negative side since SC's greatest strength (and weakness) has always been him being "Sean Connery Playing a Character" in his roles...maybe it would have been too distracting (in a Robin Hood Prince of Thieves way) especially in the final scenes. But then again then if Kincade was a father figure who taught young master Bond to shoot, who better to play it than the man who started it all? And he is Indiana Jones' father...so why not at least Bonds father-figure/mentor?

With tabloid talk of Moore wanting to return as a villain & memories (nay nightmares) of SC as Sir August DeWynter in a teddy bear costume... Surely this would have been the best way to return a former bond to an important role, if not a cameo. An almost Spock like moment (fanboy admittedly :happy:)of passing the mantle from the old generation to the new & echoing one of the themes of the movie?

Edited by Colombo, 09 November 2012 - 03:09 PM.

#2 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

I'm afraid he would have been a total distraction. Even played by Finney, one has the suspicion that Kincade is an allusion to Connery. It's subtle, but you feel it. But if Connery had actually played the role, it would have felt as if the entire final act, and the choice of Scotland as the setting, was nothing but a gimmick to justify Connery's involvement. It would have cast a really strange shadow over the entire film. It would have been the one thing everyone would talk about, and all the film's other elements would be overshadowed by something totally extraneous to the story. I'm not totally opposed to stunt casting in all circumstances, but it can't be so obvious or so distracting.

#3 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

Yep, Connery's presence in Skyfall would only succeed in setting the whole film off balance.
It would detract from the story they are trying to tell and pull the audience out of the film's reality.

#4 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

Absolutely disagree. They got the guy who created Jason Bourne instead, who would get the joke? But Sean, and esp. if they had managed to keep it a secret, would have been awesome and elevated the movie to 5/5 level. As is, it's a 3.5. Remember The Rock, Sean last Bond movie. Awesome.

#5 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

Well, Mendes has confirmed that they did actually consider it; they quickly decided against it, though:

http://www.empireonl...y.asp?NID=35710

"There was a definite discussion about that – way, way early on,” says Mendes. “But I think that's problematic. Because, to me, it becomes too ... it would take you out of the movie. Connery is Bond and he's not going to come back as another character. It's like, he's been there. So, it was a very brief flirtation with that thought, but it was never going to happen, because I thought it would distract."

#6 Colombo

Colombo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

Ahh. Didn't hear about that one. It's something that just struck me at the time. Thanks for the link marktmurphy :)

Actually i do see the obvious downside...but it's one of those 'What if SC stuck around for OHMSS?' thoughts...but there again, who knows if we would have got a totally different movie that wasn't nearly as good as it stands right now...

Edited by Colombo, 09 November 2012 - 04:02 PM.

#7 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

Absolutely disagree. They got the guy who created Jason Bourne instead, who would get the joke? But Sean, and esp. if they had managed to keep it a secret, would have been awesome and elevated the movie to 5/5 level. As is, it's a 3.5. Remember The Rock, Sean last Bond movie. Awesome.

He wouldn't have been playing Bond or even a Bond-inspired character though. He'd have been playing an initially outwardly feisty gamekeeper, who turns out to be a cowed and scared old man, hardly a role befitting an actor who was once Bond himself.

#8 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

So you think to cast Jason Bourne creator is better?

#9 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

So you think to cast Jason Bourne creator is better?

That's hardly the way I'd describe Albert Finney.

#10 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

Yeah it's... Albert Finney.

Finney, Dench, Fiennes, Bardem, Craig all in a Bond film. It's still a bizarrely great cast!

#11 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:13 PM

I had heard the rumor and am also glad they did not go with Sir Sean. I agree that it would have been a distraction to the film's final act. As it is, I thought Finney was great as Kincade and the final act was the highlight of the film. Although, I wouldn't object to having Connery or Moore or Dalton or any of them making a cameo appearance in a coming film as an homage, but not a major character.

#12 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

Finney created Bourne (in Bourne 3), Sean created the movie James Bond. I think Finney in here is another unecessary nod to Jason Bourne. Sean would have made much more sense, this being the 50.

#13 plankattack

plankattack

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

It would have been a disaster. SC's presence would have completely undermined the film, overwhelming any and every other detail. Every review, every interview, would have been about SC returning to the franchise.

SC is my favourite Bond for sure and the debate about who gets the most credit for the franchise/cinematic character's success is one so many of us have indulged in over time. But by the time Sir Rog took the role, one thing was abundantly clear - Bond is always bigger than the man playing him. I just fear that SC being the film would have thrown everything out of whack again.

That being said, I can't imagine the angst for us in the chat room if the original James Bond appeared as Kincade. If the appearance of the DB5 has thrown some people's logic circuits out of whack ("but it was left-hand drive in CR" and "how can it have an ejector seat if he hasn't met Q yet"), then imagine two "James Bonds" in one film!! :D Bets on how long it would have taken one of us to have posted a "Kincade is really his dad" thread!!!!!

Codename theory, plastic surgery, oh-my-god it would all come out in a Dr Who style orgy of time-travel logic twisting!!!!!! :)

#14 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

Finney created Bourne (in Bourne 3), Sean created the movie James Bond. I think Finney in here is another unecessary nod to Jason Bourne. Sean would have made much more sense, this being the 50.

Do you not agree it would have been a disservice for the actor behind the first movie James Bond to portray an ultimately unheroic figure in the 50th anniversary movie though?

#15 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

Remember The Rock, Sean last Bond movie. Awesome.

What are you? 11?

#16 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

Absolutely disagree. They got the guy who created Jason Bourne instead, who would get the joke? But Sean, and esp. if they had managed to keep it a secret, would have been awesome and elevated the movie to 5/5 level.

Yes, a memorable gimmick can elevate a film. And a bull can elevate a Spaniard. Tacky stunts may be required to mask the taste of crap, but Skyfall is not Die Another Day. No need to vajazzle the Venus de Milo.

Remember The Rock, Sean last Bond movie. Awesome.

What are you? 11?

Nothing wrong with liking your beer loud and your TV cold. Bond should rock a tux, flash his guns, and chow down on bold flavors, you guys.

#17 FOX MULDER

FOX MULDER

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

I'm glad he didn't play Kincade. That was too measly (and somewhat pointless) a role for someone of Connery's stature.

And I'm only half joking when I say Connery could still play Bond.

#18 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

Now that would certainly shake the formula up for BOND 24!

#19 FOX MULDER

FOX MULDER

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

It could be done. It would be a very different type of Bond film, less action, more psychological. Imagine a retired 007 threatened by someone with a grudge from the past. It could even be a way for Bond to die - if they ever want him to - like an old warhorse on the battlefield.

#20 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

All his gadgets would come from Liberty Medical.

#21 L4YRCAKE

L4YRCAKE

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

I'm just surprised that Mendes describes them as having turned down the idea of Connery for the role, it seems impossible that he would have accepted had they asked. And the dialogue seemed so obviously intended for Connery, I thought the film could have spent just a bit more time explaining what Kincaid was doing in the house in the first place. Did he really not know what Bond did for a living when he asked?

Also, it would seem kind of strange to now throw the character down the memory hole since he's so closely linked to Bond's past, I wonder if he'll return in Bond 24 and beyond...?

#22 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

The part where he took off his hat after ---- was RIDICULOUS. Connery would have made it work. The guy is basically Fauchon from Hard Target.

#23 jamie00007

jamie00007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

I agree with those who think it would have been a distraction, but being the 50th and all I think it would have been cool this one time. Not that they'd have had a hope in hell of actually getting him of course.

#24 Secret007

Secret007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:58 AM

I was hoping so much since they began filming SKYFALL that they would ask Sean Connery to appear in the movie, it being the 50th Anniversary. If Connery would have played The Doctor or Kincade, it would have fit into the movie perfectly. Maybe it had to do with the budget, I don't know. I noticed that some of the lines Albert Finney spoke like "That was for Scotland" would have been perfect for Sean Connery to say.
Another great idea that never came to be.

#25 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:00 AM

I'm completely fine with it. I thought the entire third act was great and wouldn't change anything.

#26 Berni99

Berni99

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

I don't forget that Connery says in a Talk Show "Cubby Broccoli was the first Bond-Villain".

So its a very good decision that Connery play not the Role

#27 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:01 AM

Look, Connery got raped for royalties. Full stop. You rob my pocket, and I'm goona be pretty disgruntled, too.

As for Connery playing Kincade? It would be too much Dr. Who - parallel universe for the film.

#28 bond_azoozbond

bond_azoozbond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 383 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:15 AM

Not good idea at all I think .. Connery is bond and I wouldn't mind having him back but for playing bond for sure :D ..

#29 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

So it would have been a distraction, but the Aston Martin being the one from GF instead of the one from CR isn't? Get real guys. Connery don't look like younger Connery anymore, he would have made the character work. And again, friggin Jason Bourne creator is also Bond creator...

#30 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:08 AM

two thoughts

a) Glad they didn't head down the Connery road, given the way he's treated the series I don't think he deserves it. And it would have overshadowed everything else. the series is much better for having gotten past the baggage of the past (and i'm sick of hearing how EON 'mistreated' SC, they took a second rate actor and turned him into the biggest star in the world....and he still has issues...)

B) Albert Finney is a terrific actor with half a century of great work behind him, can you please stop referring to him as 'Bourne's creator' FFS......

Lastly, on the subject of 60s icons,,,,I'd LOVE to see Terence Stamp show up in a Bond movie.