Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:56 AM

Just became aware of this:

http://www.harkitrec....com/dr_no.html

The description says:

"Commemorating the 50th anniversary of the release of the first James Bond movie “Dr. No”, this unique release contains music from the original album release plus many of the cues that were not on that album. Long a contentious issue about who actually scored the movie – Monty Norman won a celebrated court case in London – we will leave the listener to decide for him/herself.
With newly commissioned notes, this is definitely not a title to be missed!"

Track list:
1. Dr. No Main Title Sequence - John Barry Orchestra 2. James Bond Theme - John Barry Orchestra 3. James Returns Home - John Barry Orchestra 4. Three Blind Mice - Byron Lee & The Dragonaires 5. Jamaican Rock – Byron Lee & The Dragonaires 6. Jump Up! – Byron Lee & The Dragonaires 7. Audio Bongo - John Barry Orchestra 8. Under The Mango Tree – Diana Coupland 9. James Bond Twist - John Barry Orchestra 10. Under The Mango Tree - Byron Lee & The Dragonaires 11. Under The Mango Tree - Byron Lee & The Dragonaires 12. Jump Up! – Byron Lee & The Dragonaires 13. Dr. No’s Fantasy - John Barry Orchestra 14. Tarantula - John Barry Orchestra 15. Three Blind Mice – Diana Coupland 16. The Island Speaks - John Barry Orchestra 17. Under The Mango Tree – Monty Norman 18. The Boy’s Chase - John Barry Orchestra 19. Dr. No’s Theme - John Barry Orchestra 20. Theme For James Bond - John Barry Orchestra 21. Dr. No Visits James Bond’s Bedroom - John Barry Orchestra 22. Love At Last - John Barry Orchestra 23. James Bond Theme - John Barry Orchestra

#2 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:14 AM

http://debrief.comma...l__+harkit +dr.

Sadly it looks like a rip-off. Check out this thread at FSM:

http://www.filmscore...92151&archive=0

#3 agent007jb

agent007jb

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

the FSM thread (as Shark pointed out) seems to peg this release as being "mastered" off the music and effects track from the Criterion laserdisc. Indeed one of the samples on the Harkit website has the cue "Dr No Visits James Bond's Bedroom" and you can hear the sound effect of the door opening (revealing Dr. No silhouette). I guess its really no different from a trend lately where some labels are releasing albums with sound effects when no other source material exists. I think the extra negativity pointed towards Harkit was that they are releasing the album unofficially (utilizing a rumored 50 year copyright law loophole).

I enjoy collecting Bond scores and I see there being a higher than usual chance that the legal forces at MGM/Eon could put the kibosh on this album at some point in the future. I live in the States where it is now on preorder at Amazon.com (released November 13th, cost $25). I didn't know at the time and ordered mine from Amazon.co.uk for around $20 (converted from British pounds), but it still hasn't shown up yet. I can comment then and hopefully the informative liner notes could make up for a shady release and less than stellar sound quality. Still nice to see SOMEONE taking an interest in release expanded Bond soundtracks...even if it is somewhat legally questionable.

#4 mr.kidd

mr.kidd

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

I got the CD through the mail about two weeks ago directly from Harkit Records, and yes the added tracks "Main Title Sequence", "James Bond Returns Home", "Tarantula" and "Dr. No Visits Bond's Bedroom" are all from a music and effects track. In "Tarantula" you can slightly here the striking of the tarantula over the musical strikes. The last "James Bond Theme" on the disc is the alternate John Barry Orchestra version available elsewhere like the 30th anniversary discs. Having said that though, it is still great to have the added tracks as the original score sadly doesn't look like it will ever be expanded properly.

Like agent007jb said " nice to see someone taking an interest in releasing expanded Bond soundtracks".

#5 Victor Zokas

Victor Zokas

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

Got this CD also, and the Main Title track seems about a minute longer than on the DVD/Blu Ray main title sequence. Anyone know anything about that?

Edited by Victor Zokas, 11 November 2012 - 10:11 AM.

#6 Dan Gale

Dan Gale

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 185 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

The fact most of the tracks are attributed to "John Barry Orchestra" when Barry only worked on the one track and Monty Norman did everything else makes me suspicious enough to assume that the full care, attention and/or resources to make this a worthwhile purchase were not immediately forthcoming.

(i.e. it's been cobbled together by half wits)

#7 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

I've bought this cd in november last year on Ebay.

I can only say about this release: Don't buy it!

The extra tracks all sound like they ripped it from a dvd or laserdisc incl noises etc..

They all are very short and this expanded score is also all but no way complete.

For example the slow JB theme version, which you can hear in the scene's with the cabdriver and in the swamp, is missing.

Conclusion: not a great release.