4 replies to this topic

#1 Satorious

Satorious

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 470 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

Occasionally I dabble with my midi-libraries just as a bit of fun and write a new track.

Feeling inspired after watching SkyFall and listening to Thomas Newman's new take on Bond scoring - I thought I'd have a go at something that felt a little bit Thomas Newman, a little bit old school John Barry and hopefully a bit me.

Couple of timing issues + I ran out of memory (so I'd definitely like to have beefed up the brass/strings artriculations so they are stronger). But hey I got a zither in there so I'm happy! Here it is just for fun. I've called the track the completely nonsensical/ambiguous title East meet West:

http://soundcloud.co.../east-meet-west

Would be great to hear some constructive feedback (in particular from other musicians on the boards such as Rich Douglas, The Shark or gkgyver).

#2 levitator

levitator

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

Well done ! A "Cold War" feeling came up. Very good !

#3 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

I dug it. I think you have some good motifs going on in this one... and I really like the synth arp you have running throughout the entire piece. I do think the orchestral sections could be reinforced and double backed for a bit more umph.. and some subtle bass synth work could help you on the lower end side of things and would fill the mix out a bit. Solid mixing too, sounded great on my studio setup.

LOVED the bit at the end on brass, very Barryish indeed. Not bad mate, not bad at all. Also, welcome to soundcloud, it's a great tool for sharing music like this!

Rich

#4 Satorious

Satorious

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 470 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

Wow, cheers guys!

In particular thanks Rich for giving me a bit more technical feedback. I completely agree with what you say. In particular that brass needed more "umph" when it kicked in (or rather it didn't). A bit more of a "dirty rasp" would be nice also. I may go back and have another play soon. Part of the problem was I ran out of memory with the orchestral elements, so my palette was severely limited.

Loved your latest gun-barrel/infiltration track by the way - put a huge grin on my face.

#5 JB007YH

JB007YH

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 343 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

Mad props! I can imagine hearing this in a bond film, great work!