4 replies to this topic

#1 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

Hold your breath and count to ten... The cinema has gone dark, and Skyfall is finally on my very own silver screen :)

This is my "spoiler-free" review", and for those interested in discussing some particular points I'll be posting a spoilerful review in the right subforum, so be warned :)

Just a few random feelings and first impressions...

The 50th anniversary homage is very well done, nothing too ham-fisted. Much credit to the writers!

The story arc is good, although I could complain that it's a bit same-old same-old - others might rightfully argue that "same-old, same-old" is part of Bond's appeal.

Javier Bardem gives a really outstanding performance, it's safe to say he's already up there with the best. Daniel Craig is as good as usual. The Bond Girls give a nice performance too, although I'm sorry Miss Marlohe did not get more screen time.

There is classic Bond humour in this film, I am sure many of us will appreciate that. Good lines, nothing too cheesy, very nice alchemy between the actors.

Overall impression: this is good. Definitely. My mind was not blown, but it rarely is, I must say. Most Bond films grow on me with time. The action scenes are good and impressive, although no hand-to-hand fight really got me on the edge of my seat like the crane or the stairwell ones in CR for instance.
One thing I regret is that the locations seem to be underused - some of them at least - used just as a scenery, easy come easy go. It's not always the case though, and underused or not they are wonderfully filmed. Maybe some are just a scenery, but what a beautiful one!
I believe this is one of the most carefully written Bond films, not only because of the 50th anniversary nods. I am assuming that it will age well on the shelf, and stand the test of multiple viewings by the overanalyzing nerds that we are :)
This film is much about imperfection, and the struggle to live with it and overcome it. Many characters act in a reckless or downright stupid way, but in the end they do their best, do not yield and make up for that.

#2 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

Splendid, glad that you liked it, MkB!

#3 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:14 PM

Thanks, MkB!

I'm enjoying the spoiler-free reviews by fellow members/fans far more than the professional reviews. Great to know you enjoyed it!

SOS

#4 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:03 AM

Glad you enjoyed! Some very interesting points, and a far less rambling review than mine. I look forward to discussing further.

#5 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:10 PM

I've seen the film a second time today, and as I expected it's growing on me! I definitely enjoyed the second time better.