http://www.imax.com/...atted-for-imax/

#2 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

Well that's pretty sweet, too bad I don't have IMAX where I am at.

#3 oatesy

oatesy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:03 PM

This could be good or bad, depending on whether Roger Deakins framed for 2.4 or 1.9. He most liked framed for 2.4 but left the 1.9 area safe (I.e. no boom mikes or other equipment visible in the expanded frame). He is an artist though and the composition of his shots may be compromised by the different aspect ratio, even though we are seeing "26% more" Bond movie

I remember when they first showed terminator 2 on TV and they opened up the frame from 2.4 and you could see Arnie's underwear in the opening scenes when he was supposed to be in the nip

#4 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

Mendes did mention how careful they were being with the frame. I am assuming he framed for 2.4 also but hard I suppose it depends if they went in wanting to shoot for IMAX. I'll be seeing it in IMAX on the 8th and probably in normal cinemas that weekend or after. I'll make sure to pay close attention.

I will say this though, from what we have seen of the set pieces, I am fine with a little more of a view.

#5 Robertsmiller

Robertsmiller

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:04 PM

How can they do this without filming with actual IMAX cameras?

#6 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

I remember when they first showed terminator 2 on TV and they opened up the frame from 2.4 and you could see Arnie's underwear in the opening scenes when he was supposed to be in the nip

Yes, I've noticed them doing this with quite a few films lately. Like the Bourne films and the first two Craig Bond films.

They share a common top, but the bottom of the frame is opened up to fill the 16:9 ratio.

#7 Armand Fancypants

Armand Fancypants

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

How can they do this without filming with actual IMAX cameras?

It's shot digitally, at a 1.77:1 ratio. The standard release is matted down to 2:35.

It's not shot in IMAX, and it's not a real IMAX film. I'm sticking to my regular theatre, especially since 2:35 is what Mendes has done all his work in and I'd bet is the directorial intent.

#8 Robertsmiller

Robertsmiller

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:54 PM

Thanks homie I see. I'm only seein it in IMAX cause I live in the US and we get it a day early in IMAX only.

#9 kerimgrant

kerimgrant

Cadet

• Crew
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:16 AM

My understanding is that Deakins and Mendes knew the film would also be released in IMAX, and I'm sure they were consulted. I've seen many films that were not originally shot in IMAX and then converted to the IMAX screen (Apollo 13, Matrix Revolutions, etc.) and they looked fantastic. Most films shown in IMAX theaters were not shot in IMAX originally because of the difficulty of using those huge cameras.I'll be there at the midnight screening of Skyfall in IMAX and I expect it to look gorgoeus.

#10 JB007YH

JB007YH

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 343 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:39 AM

Today was a great Bond day for me. I bought my midnite IMAX tickets,my pops bought me the James Bond Cologne(Both the stand alone bottle and giftset! Kohls.com if you are in the US) and my 007 legends came in the mail. I found 007 legends on Amazon.com from an affiliated merchant and got it 16 bucks cheaper than what it wouldve cost me from best buy! That price includes after shipping cost and it is a factory sealed ps3 game. I feel blessed by the 007 gods today