Release Dates? USA?

26 replies to this topic

#1 Robertsmiller

Robertsmiller

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

I understand England getting this first because Bond lives there. But why the [censored] does Finland get it two weeks before America? How is this a good move on their part? I know about 300million people who are gonna see this illegally online instead of waiting two weeks.

Edited by Robertsmiller, 14 October 2012 - 06:56 PM.

#2 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

You know about 300million people? How many times has America shown movies before the rest of the world? Over here in the UK we are used to waiting for films to come out later - yes we too have large on-line piracy - and frankly, you should count yourself lucky that the majority of the time you get to see the top movies, tv series etc before the rest of the world.

On the odd occasion such as this, where you have to wait a little longer, you guys should think "hmm, I wonder if this is how the rest of the world feels?".

Now, go to your 300 million friends and tell them how fantastic Skyfall is going to look on the big screen - and if possible tell them to go for the imaxx experience.

Spread the word!

#3 TheManwiththeWaltherPPK

TheManwiththeWaltherPPK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:24 AM

Economically, OP has a point. The US is the largest film market in the world. For instance, The Dark Knight Rises' opening weekend performance in the UK was 1/5 of its American box office draw. Releasing late in the US could arguably lose Sony and MGM a lot of money to internet piracy. The risk is much higher than if the situation was reversed. Thus, OP does indeed have a point. Given the greater availability of inexpensive high speed internet in the US as opposed to anywhere else in the world and the country's status as the highest grossing entertainment market in the world, it does beg the question why release the film so much earlier in the UK? We wouldn't have reached the 50th anniversary if the powers that be put sentiment in front of dollars (or pounds). Is Bond really that much more popular in his native land? Do American audiences need the extra marketing of critical and internet buzz coming from UK audiences to go see the film?

Edited by TheManwiththeWaltherPPK, 14 October 2012 - 09:33 AM.

#4 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

"But why the Posted Image does Finland get it two weeks before America?"
a simultaneous release would be preferable. strange Finland hatred

"How many times has America shown movies before the rest of the world?"
lots.but so has france,UK,china ... every country has

"The US is the largest film market in the world."
don't forget india , plus the rest of the world is now more financially important to the US film industry than the US itself

"The Dark Knight Rises' opening weekend performance in the UK was 1/5 of its American box office draw"
the US has about 5 times the population

"Releasing late in the US could arguably lose Sony and MGM a lot of money to internet piracy."
yes. don't understand why they are doing this

"Is Bond really that much more popular in his native land?"
yes

"Do American audiences need the extra marketing of critical and internet buzz coming from UK audiences to go see the film?"
no

Edited by quantumofsolace, 14 October 2012 - 01:17 PM.

#5 QOS4EVER

QOS4EVER

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 368 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

lol @300 million freinds :D

#6 Robertsmiller

Robertsmiller

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:01 PM

Yeah thats what I meant. I have 300 million personal friends here. Or could that have possibly been an allusion to the size of the market they're partially throwin away? hm...

And I picked Finland because it's the first country on the list my eyes fell too. I could name any other one. I don't hate Finland.

It's not about me wanting USA to have it first, so Lt. Commander, I'm really glad you're getting your revenge for crying into your Beatles blankets everytime you have to wait for a movie. I don't give a [censored] if I have to wait for the Boosh or anything, I'll get around to it. And thats a WAY smaller market than James [censored]ing Bond. Like someone said, if they waited two weeks to release TDKR over there, do you really think they would've made as much money in the theatres? Thats not my point though. Why doesn't England get it early (I think this is actually a good idea, like I said . . . ) and the rest of the world get it at the same time?

I'm actually not pulling the "America is #1" [censored] you seem to be accusing me of, I'm just saying they're going to lose a [censored] ton of money by waiting two weeks, just long enough for a lot of fans to say [censored] it lets look online and just long enough for damn near perfect bootlegs to come up for download.

From a $ standpoint it doesn't make any sense.

Edited by Robertsmiller, 14 October 2012 - 06:05 PM.

#7 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:24 PM

Yeah thats what I meant. I have 300 million personal friends here.

That was a joke, sorry if I offended you.

It's not about me wanting USA to have it first, so Lt. Commander **I think this is aimed at me** I'm really glad you're getting your revenge for crying into your Beatles blankets everytime you have to wait for a movie.

Did I make a blanket(Only saw this unintended pun after posting) stereotype about America? Just because I'm British, doesn't automatically mean I'm a Beatles fan. (I happen to like their music, granted, but I don't have any memorabilia - especially blankets)

I don't give a [censored] if I have to wait for the Boosh or anything, I'll get around to it. And thats a WAY smaller market than James [censored]ing Bond.

Do you really have to resort to swearing? I know I was a little sarcastic, but I kept it clean.

Like someone said, if they waited two weeks to release TDKR over there, do you really think they would've made as much money in the theatres?

I don't think it would have effected it as much as you think. The people who go online to find a pirate download are usually those who would have done that anyway because they download every film. Yes a few American Bond fans may go for the illegal download route to see the film early, but the effect is awful and if the film is as good as the reviews suggest, I doubt they would pass up the chance of seeing the film on the big screen.

Why doesn't England get it early (I think this is actually a good idea, like I said . . . ) and the rest of the world get it at the same time?

Are there any big films screening at the moment in America that the studios may see as competition? They may want the best opening date that isn't effected by competing films.

I'm actually not pulling the "America is #1" [censored] you seem to be accusing me of,

I never said this.

I'm just saying they're going to lose a [censored] ton of money by waiting two weeks, just long enough for a lot of fans to say [censored] it lets look online and just long enough for damn near perfect bootlegs to come up for download.

I highly doubt this will happen in any great numbers.

From a $ standpoint it doesn't make any sense.

I don't think it will make much of a difference.

Again, I apologise if you took offence at my light hearted tone

#8 Robertsmiller

Robertsmiller

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:49 PM

Dude you're way overthinkin this. You sound anything but lighthearted. Again, I didn't mean you literally deposit your tears into "Beatles memorabilia" everytime you miss a movie. Sorry if my lighthearted tone offended you though. I took from your post that you were a little upset that this American who always gets movies first was bitchin cause UK was gettin it for once. Maybe I'm wrong.

And of course I'm still gonna see it in theatres, but you're sort of lumping everyone in the audience together. I'm sure a lot of people will download it, and then, like you say, jump at the chance to see it on the big screen. But maybe instead of seeing it three times in the theatre, they'll have already seen it online and only go pay to see it once. In simple terms, thats 1 ticket paid for instead of 3 tickets paid for. My entire point is, what is the point of this? I still don't know why they stagger the dates like this outside of UK getting it first, which makes sense to me.

And James [censored]ing Bond has never been clean. That's why he's James [censored]ing Bond. Not really "unclean" in my opinion, my godawful language there is acutally just my personal emphasis on how big a deal James Bond is over here, and a lot of people are not gonna wait two weeks when they can get their fill online. I'm sure the same thing happens over there when they release a really BIG movie two weeks after the US gets it.

Edited by Robertsmiller, 14 October 2012 - 06:51 PM.

#9 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:02 PM

And James [censored]ing Bond has never been clean. That's why he's James [censored]ing Bond.

Whilst Bond does enjoy drinking, sleeping with sexy women etc, he seems to draw the line at swearing. Any swear words in a James Bond film are exceedingly rare. The closest you can find to the word [censored] is by J dubya Pepper in Live and Let Die - and that is drowned out.
Spoiler

#10 Invincible1958

Invincible1958

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 354 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

It's very easy, why the film gets a mid-November release in the US.

The US box office has to big seasons: the summer season from May to August, and the fall/winter season starting in mid-November.
The opening weekends in the other parts of the years are way lower than they are in those time periods.

So Skyfall will be the first blockbuster opening of the season.

Releasing it at the end of October would be bad, because less people go to the cinema in the US at the end of October in general than 2 weeks later. That's not joke.
So even if millions of people watch the movie online in those 2 weeks, the opening on Nov. 9 will still be bigger than it would be on Oct. 26.
It's tactics.

In Europe it's a different story. For exemple big movies will never be released in Europe while a soccer turnament is on. So there is no real summer season for the movies in Europe.

And Halloween in the US is much bigger than in Europe. And Horror movies will be the No. 1 movies at the end of October. That would hurt Bond, too.

#11 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:11 PM

]Again, I didn't mean you literally deposit your tears into "Beatles memorabilia" everytime you miss a movie.

I was just pointing out that I didn't use any American stereotypes, I wasn't sure why you used a British one.

Sorry if my lighthearted tone offended you though.

No offence taken

but you're sort of lumping everyone in the audience together.

Not really, I did use words like "Usually" and say "In great numbers"

My entire point is, what is the point of this? I still don't know why they stagger the dates like this outside of UK getting it first, which makes sense to me.

What is the competition in cinemas at the end of October, early November?

#12 Robertsmiller

Robertsmiller

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

Sub Lt, that makes sense I suppose. I might be a little more plugged into James Bond than most people here, I guess it never occured to me that another film could compete with a James Bond! I guess I'll have to admit that and swallow the wait!

Edited by Robertsmiller, 14 October 2012 - 07:20 PM.

#13 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:22 PM

Robertsmiller, the ranks above our avatars aren't our usernames. They denote how many times we have posted on the forum.

This used to be the ranking system, but not sure if it's changed over the past couple of years:

Recruit: 0-4 posts
Cadet: 5-19 posts
Midshipman: 20-99 posts
Sub-Lieutenant: 100-499 posts
Lieutenant: 500-999 posts
Lt. Commander: 1,000-2,999 posts
Commander: 3,000+ posts

It gets confusing if you refer to people by their rank, as there are usually several posters with the same rank on one thread.

#14 Robertsmiller

Robertsmiller

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:35 PM

Ah I'm used to the name right above the avatar! At least you're well on you're way to bein a Captain one day ha!

#15 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:49 PM

It's a new practice to release movies into the demostic market first to cut down on piracy. Better get used to it, I'm sure this is how it will be for a while.

#16 Invincible1958

Invincible1958

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 354 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:33 PM

It's a new practice to release movies into the demostic market first to cut down on piracy. Better get used to it, I'm sure this is how it will be for a while.

Bond always gets a relatively late US release, because he is a way bigger phenomenon everywhere else in the world.
Bond is not a US-product.

In Europe "Skyfall" will be much more succesful than "The Avengers" or "Batman". Not so in the US.

#17 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:38 AM

It doesn't alter the fact that they're releasing it outside of the US so early to cut down on piracy. By the time it comes out over here, everyone else will have already seen it. So there will be no market for pirated copies from the US.

#18 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:44 AM

I'm no expert on piracy, but what stops other countries from releasing the film onto the black market? Isn't it just as easy, or more easy, for somebody in a foreign theater to capture and upload the film?

That question aside -- I don't think there are huge numbers of people who will choose a poor pirated version over the theater. Bond is one of those "experience" movies that people gladly pay to see on the big screen, methinks.

#19 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:03 AM

That's a good point. I think the issue is not so much pirated copies showing up in the US, though that does happen. The problem has been that movies that are released early in the US, get pirated and then sent to other countries. That's what they've been cracking down on by releasing many Hollywood films in foreign countries first.

#20 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:15 AM

But why the [censored] does Finland get it two weeks before America?

If we look at percentages, Bond has always been bigger in Finland than in America, perhaps the year 1965 excluded. The films were touring the cinemas constantly in the 60's and 70's playing to full houses and Bond films were most rented video tapes the whole 80's. In fact, several people who worked in the home video business in its infancy have stated that it took 2 films released on video to sell VCR to Finnish consumers and they were Thunderball and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.
But I can feel your pain, OP.

Edited by AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän, 15 October 2012 - 03:21 AM.

#21 cory47

cory47

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:09 AM

One of the hardest things for me to do as I wait for SKYFALL here in the U.S. is to avoid reading much concerning Bond on the internet. I commend CBN for for always giving "spoiler alerts" on the website. Being the huge Bond fan that I am, I know many little odds and ends type small spoilers about the new film and have seen many trailers and clips but I certainly want to avoid major plot surprises! I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing it and I've already got my theater ticket for the 12:07AM showing on November 9th.

So is the 2 week delay for the U.S. release mainly due to pirating issues and the start of the "holiday film season" here? Has there been an "official" reason for this given by EON or MGM? November 9th is the open date for the U.S. and Canada. . .is this the start date for all other non-european countries as well? Such as Japan and Australia? Who has to wait the longest?

#22 Invincible1958

Invincible1958

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 354 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:02 AM

So is the 2 week delay for the U.S. release mainly due to pirating issues and the start of the "holiday film season" here? Has there been an "official" reason for this given by EON or MGM? November 9th is the open date for the U.S. and Canada. . .is this the start date for all other non-european countries as well? Such as Japan and Australia? Who has to wait the longest?

Why should there be an official reason given by EON?
It's normal, that movies don't get the same release date everywhere in the world.

And yes, I think in the US movies do more box office in mid-november than end-october.
Just look at the US box office. The Number One movie last weekend just did $12 million.

The last release date is December 6th in the Dominican Republic:

http://www.imdb.com/...638/releaseinfo

#23 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:17 AM

It looks like the UK will be getting a few films first - As well as Skyfall, The Advengers was released early over here and Iron Man 3 will be released in the UK a week early http://www.digitalsp...uk-release.html So, it's by no means only Eon that are doing this.

#24 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

Hi, Robertsmiller. I think I may have some explanation for "Skyfall's" delayed opening date in the US.

I was fortunate enough to attend the Royal premiere at the Albert Hall, so I've seen the movie, but I live in the Midwest and have several very enthusiastic Bond fans as friends. Yes, the delay is getting to them, especially to those who are getting wound up by all the reviews and trailers but who want to stay spoiler free.

Obviously, the US is a huge potential movie market, but Bond's box office numbers have often been bested here by other releases. My hunch is that MGM wants the level of excitement about the movie to build, for positive reviews and word of mouth from other markets to permeate the US, and to create a sense of heightened anticipation in both reviewers and the potential audience. MGM doesn't want the public to sense that this is just another Bond movie, but rather that it's something truly extraordinary (and take my word for it, it is!). That means they want to assemble the cast here for the premieres and talk shows, not to have half of them making appearances in other important markets. It means being able to splash our media with ads proclaiming it the biggest Bond ticket seller in history.

There's no way that the studio wants to devalue the American market. To the contrary, they want a huge turnout in North America. The delay may drive some of the US fans a bit wild, but we're (and that includes me) going to see the movie anyway. The studio wants to haul in all those millions of other American moviegoers, and my guess is that they think this is the best way to do it.

#25 cory47

cory47

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:08 PM

Thanks for the info and link Invincible1958. It makes sense but doesn't ease the pain! And, Major Tallon, your insight and ideas on this are very good. I'm also from the midwest (Des Moines, Iowa) and I'm glad you were able to attend the Royal premiere. That must've been very cool! The only IMAX theater here is in the Science Center and I've checked their website but SKYFALL is not scheduled unfortunately (at least not yet). They did run DARK KNIGHT RISES in July.

I've just got to bite the bullet for another 10 days.

#26 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

Hi, Robertsmiller. I think I may have some explanation for "Skyfall's" delayed opening date in the US.

I was fortunate enough to attend the Royal premiere at the Albert Hall, so I've seen the movie, but I live in the Midwest and have several very enthusiastic Bond fans as friends. Yes, the delay is getting to them, especially to those who are getting wound up by all the reviews and trailers but who want to stay spoiler free.

Obviously, the US is a huge potential movie market, but Bond's box office numbers have often been bested here by other releases. My hunch is that MGM wants the level of excitement about the movie to build, for positive reviews and word of mouth from other markets to permeate the US, and to create a sense of heightened anticipation in both reviewers and the potential audience. MGM doesn't want the public to sense that this is just another Bond movie, but rather that it's something truly extraordinary (and take my word for it, it is!). That means they want to assemble the cast here for the premieres and talk shows, not to have half of them making appearances in other important markets. It means being able to splash our media with ads proclaiming it the biggest Bond ticket seller in history.

There's no way that the studio wants to devalue the American market. To the contrary, they want a huge turnout in North America. The delay may drive some of the US fans a bit wild, but we're (and that includes me) going to see the movie anyway. The studio wants to haul in all those millions of other American moviegoers, and my guess is that they think this is the best way to do it.

I know they had faith, and the film is fantastic, but it could have been risky if the attendance and reviews were poor.

#27 cory47

cory47

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:34 AM

I hope North America gets the DVD/Blu-ray release 2 weeks before the rest of the world! :)