Photo

SKYFALL's new Quartermaster

34 replies to this topic

#31 201050

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:33 AM

I work for a major energy company. When our second in command IT guy isn't taking care of my dept (western US), he runs a web site devoted to tracking the movements of large schools of fish throughout the Atlantic, Pacific, Gulf of Mexico, and the Carribean. His site uses proprietary software that he wrote and marries it with regularly updated bathymetry data he receives from NOAA, as well as satellite data from the USGS.

For an upcoming fishing tournament, with a purse of close to $800,000, he's been contacted by several of the entrants to see if he would accept payment to be part of their crew. It's a two-day tournament and the offers have been very generous. He turned them all down and said he prefers to concentrate on his site instead, and making sure its at it's peak during the tournament.

This guy is 28 years old and all of what he does on his own site is just a hobby, separate from his energy E&P career. I have no issues with the casting of this new Q what so ever. It's right on with what's going on in the real world.

#32 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:07 AM

From the trailer it really doesn't seem like there will be many gadgets if that but I look forward to seeing how they re introduce the character. Interesting they give Bond the line, "You must be joking."

#33 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:56 PM

I honestly had never heard of the guy, but when I really looked at him I recognized him from an earlier Daniel Craig film, Layer Cake.

I was a little unsure of how a young Q character would work, but after seeing the trailer I see they went for the complete opposite of the "traditional" Q character in the films........and I must say, I like it. I like it a lot. The way they reintroduce Q to the audience is delightful. "You must be joking," "Walther PPK," "Q.....007." Can't Wait!

Edited by 00 Brosnan, 01 August 2012 - 04:21 PM.

#34 Glockenspiel

Glockenspiel

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:09 PM

I'm not familiar with this new fellow but, from a casting point of view, one would think that an actor with a little bit more maturity would suffice. (Does his Mommy know he's playing w/gadgets?). He looks like the kid I buy my morning coffee from.

Yes, why don't they choose Desmond Llewelyn to play the part?
He's old enough, no?
Oups, he's dead... Sorry...
(I'm a bit sarcastic... but really, I think it's time to move on. Q is back, that's great ; he's a modern Q, that's great too).

#35 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:16 AM

Probably in a minority of one on this, but I'm disappointed Q is returning. I've never been much of a fan of the quartermaster scenes, other than the gun exchange in DN which is terrific. Mostly, they are ruined by the weak humour in all the silly stuff going on in the background. Cleese was just abysmal, playing the role like he was back on the set of Fawlty Towers. So I suppose in a sense the only way is up with this new bloke. But I'd rather skip the whole Q thing like CR and QoS, which were better off without it.

In CR, a boffin provided Bond with a microchip in his arm

in QOS, a tweed-jacketed boffin wearing glasses geekily explained to Bond and M what had happened with LeChiffre's money

I believe we had Q in the last 2 movies. Now, in Skyfall they are actually going to speak to each other, and just from the trailer, I suspect some chemistry between the 2 actors. In fact it looks like the roles have reversed and Bond is the old sceptic and Q is the young whippernapper.

________________________________________________________________________________