3 replies to this topic

#1 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:55 PM

I'm sure it's very well-known, but something I've not come across before: that John Barry is said to have written 'The More Things Change' (with lyrics by Hal David) as the love song for On Her Majesty's Secret Service before he went for 'We Have All The Time In the World'. Hear it here:

Is it correct it was for OHMSS?

#2 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:35 PM

Bond music historian Lukas Kendall disputes this. The song was released as a B-side to a single for "Do You Know How Christmas Trees Are Grown?", and appears on the album "Ready When You Are, J.B."

Edited by glidrose, 15 July 2012 - 08:41 PM.

#3 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:26 AM

Bond music historian Lukas Kendall disputes this. The song was released as a B-side to a single for "Do You Know How Christmas Trees Are Grown?", and appears on the album "Ready When You Are, J.B."

And also on disc 1 of the four disc CD collection "John Barry : Themependium". Disc 1 is titled "Spies and other secret agents", and the track is heard straight after Louis Armstrong's "We Have All The Time In The World". Should we read anything into this? On the one hand, "The More Things Change" appears in this collection on a CD which includes all of Barry's Bond themes. On the other, another track which did feature in OHMSS - "Who Will Buy My Yesterdays" - appears on disc 3 of "Themependium" which has 28 of Barry's non-Bond themes from the 1960s and 70s. I suspect the album producers were trying to fit the track in somewhere, rather than hint or even confirm that it was intended for OHMSS.

#4 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

I think the Louie Armstrong is better. I kind of like this onethough; in preference to "Do You Know How Christmas Trees Are Grown?".