3 replies to this topic

#1 lazenbyland

lazenbyland

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:34 PM

As nowadays the union rules mean that everyone associated with the making of a film has to be listed, we end up with end credits of over seven minutes long.

With the early Bonds, and OHMSS in particular, we just have a short snippet of music accompanying the cast and a few acknowledgements. This adds to the impact but I've often wondered if OHMSS had been made more recently, what would Peter Hunt have done with the longer end titles?

Would we have Barry's re-arrangement of the Bond theme? A longer instrumental of WHATTITW before hearing OHMSS again?

#2 d21089

d21089

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:59 AM

I would have kept the silence for some time and then an instrumental of Time which would lead into the Louis Armstrong recording - but today it may well be something like Crawl, End Crawl remixing various elements of the score into something new

#3 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

Yes, i'm sure they'ed convolute it with unnecessary remixes of the Bond Theme. Crawl, End Crawl was the least offensive of these, but still had samples of the theme if memory serves.

I wish they'd take the end credits seriously. I mean, that saccharine tosh they allowed at the end of GE was ludicrously embarrassing! TND had a fantastic tune from KD Lang & Dave Arnold, but that was only available because Eon (i assume) didn't want it for the opening titles. Since then it's been a pretty mundane, functional part of the film, without any flare. I guess with CR they had an excuse - 'Bond' was born at the finale.

I totally endorse the long, if tiresome credit list. Everyone who contributed deserves a mention. I work in TV and nothing is more annoying for the filmmakers than the BBC shrinking the end credits so they can trail the next programme - particularly since they always manage to get it back to fullscreen in time for the Execs names and BBC logo (basically those who have often contributed the least to it's making, but just happen to be in upper management positions - not all, but most)...

Rant over... :)

For the end of OHMSS.2 i'd like a piece composed especially, involving the composer (no GE-esque cheese, though!).

No cheap '2for1' remixes! And please, not a dance version of the opening-titles song, a'la MR and DAD!!!

However, a reworking/epilogue/final 'act' of the opening theme song is acceptable, so long as it has lyrics/elements not in the original.

This should also be in keeping with the score, since a good Bond score should develop themes within the opening-titles song. Alas this no longer seems a high priority at Eon, since they appear to choose an artist for the theme far into post production, by which time the composer must surely have already worked out his ideas and arrangements in order to meet the delivery date.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 18 June 2012 - 01:03 PM.

#4 lazenbyland

lazenbyland

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:44 PM

I totally endorse the long, if tiresome credit list. Everyone who contributed deserves a mention. I work in TV and nothing is more annoying for the filmmakers than the BBC shrinking the end credits so they can trail the next programme - particularly since they always manage to get it back to fullscreen in time for the Execs names and BBC logo (basically those who have often contributed the least to it's making, but just happen to be in upper management positions - not all, but most)...

I have to admit, I am always one of the few who remain in the cinema to see out the end credits. For the Bond films it is usually to hear the music and an old habit of seeing 'James Bond 007 will return!" though they never say in what, these days. But like you I think the filmmakers deserve to have their names acknowledged.

Maybe one of the more teccy members of this forum can concoct an OHMSS end titles sequence ;)

Edited by lazenbyland, 18 June 2012 - 05:44 PM.