#391 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:01 AM

Homefront - 3.5/5

It was Thanksgiving week, and there were no showings for 12 Years A Slave. However it didn't complete suck as I chose to see Homefront instead which was a fun time to waste.

Jason Statham plays DEA Agent Phil Broker, who during an undercover mission gets his cover blown and lands a biker jail, retires to a quiet southern town with his daughter. Being relatively new to the town, the locals don't seem to take him too likely and find him trouble. He then becomes an issue for the local Meth kingpin (no it isn't Walter White), Gator Bodine, who goes snooping around his house to find out that Broker is a DEA agent and is the one responsible for sending an associate of his to prison. Gator begins to terrorize him until Broker says no more.

This isn't really your average Wham bam action film, as I look at it more of something along the lines of Statham's 2011 feature, Killer Elite, where it balances a good enough story with good enough action. Surely it's nothing groundbreaking, but it's still damned good fun and good ol' Statham. Should be worth noting that the screenplay was written by Sylvester Stallone, which was a pleasant surprise to find out. The direction is something that chose to focus a bit more on the story and it's characters than the overall action scenes, but it's not a bad thing.

Jason Statham is Jason Statham as usual, but like Killer Elite plays a human and not some superhero. He plays a character that's plausible. James Franco plays the villain, Gator Bodine, whom in the trailers looked somewhat menacing, but he doesn't really emulate the villain archetype in the film, and is more of a backseat type of villain. He does a decent job, but with some improvements, I think he think he could do a better job.

All in all, Homefront is a pretty good action that hits most of the right buttons and proves to be decent escapist fun for the action fan and for the Jason Statham fan.

As for 2013 films:
SEEN:
Texas Chainsaw 3D - 0   The Last Stand - 5
Movie 43 - 0   Bullet To The Head - 3.5
Stand Up Guys - 2.5   Side Effects - 4
A Good Day To Die Hard - 2   Snitch - 3.5
Dead Man Down - 4.5   Evil Dead - 1
Oblivion - 3.5   Mud - 4.5
The Lords Of Salem - 3.5   Pain & Gain - 5
Iron Man 3 - 0   Star Trek Into Darkness - 3.5
Fast & Furious 6 - 2       Behind The Candelabra     - 3

The Purge     - 2      Man Of Steel    - 2 
World War Z    - 4     Pacific Rim   - 4.5 
Only God Forgives   - 5    The Wolverine  - 4.5 
Elysium   - 4   The World's End - 1.5 
You're Next  - 1   Riddick - 3 
Don Jon - 4   Metallica: Through The Never 3D - 4.5
Machete Kills - 2.5/5   The Conjuring - 2
The Counselor - 4     Homefront - 3.5/5

LOOKING FORWARD TO:
The Iceman - May 3rd, DVD-September 3rd
Ain't Them Bodies Saints - August 16th
Escape Plan - October 18th
The Wolf Of Wall Street - December 25th
Her - November 20th
Out Of The Furnace - November 27th
American Hustle - December 6th
Lone Survivor - December 27th

#392 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:13 AM

The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug - 5/5

"I am fire. I am... DEATH" -Smaug

I was surprised at how well I enjoyed An Unexpected Journey, and I was really pumped up to see The Desolation Of Smaug. Waiting in the theater on midnight with a packed house and hearing the roar of the crowd as the lights dimmed was amazing. The second part in The Hobbit Trilogy is by far better than the previous installment and improves on many things, and is a jolly good time.

After escaping the Misty Mountains, The hobbit, Bilbo Baggins, the wizard Gandalf, and the twelve dwarves led by Thorin Oakenshield continue on with their journey to the kingdom of Erebor to reclaim their gold and defeat the mighty dragon known as Smaug. Over the course of their journey, they come under imprisonment from the Wood Elves, and the Orcs grow stronger and receive commands from The One, The Necromancer. With even more obstacles in the path ahead of them, They still continue, until they come to their destination. The Kingdom Of Erebor.

What can I say, I absolutely loved this one! It was filled with great adventure, great action, great humor, just great everything! One of the good things about this is the pacing. The story was set up in An Unexpected Journey and The Desolation Of Smaug picks up where the latter ended and moves at a well steady pace. Nothing feels rushed and nothing feels drawn out and bloated.

There is even more action this time around then in the previous film, and it's all great fun. Everyone kicks ass in this one, especially Legolas and Tauriel, whom my wide attention when they were onscreen. This is definitely more fun then the first, and that's saying much, considering the first was fun too. Really enjoyed the scene between Gandalf and the Necromancer, though it was short, I just liked it. One of the best scenes has to be the River scene with the dwarves in the barrels. That was laugh out loud, great action adventure.

Though those things, along with others make the film great, they certainly are not the highlight of the film, or even the star. The highlight and star of the film is the lonely dragon himself, Smaug. When Smaug was unveiled my jaw dropped. The effects on the dragon were unbelievable. Benedict Cumberbatch was phenomenal through motion capture and vocal performance as Smaug. Such an amazing job on the dragon. You just couldn't look away when he was onscreen. Smaug has to easily be the best incarnation of a dragon in cinema.

Just like the previous film, the art design, effects, props, production, and cinematography are all fantastic. Favorite sets have to be Smaug's Lair and Laketown. Also worth noting that this is in 48fps and I strangely couldn't tell a difference, except for a few scenes.

The Desolation Of Smaug is a wonderful follow up to An Unexpected Journey. It's definitely worth seeing, though I'm beating myself up for not seeing this in IMAX 3D, as I know it would have been much more awesome, especially with Smaug's scenes. I know it seems to be a bit crazy that I'm giving this five stars, but it was just too much damn fun and I couldn't find a reason to dislike it. This is probably my inner nerd speaking, but whatever.

Cannot wait for December 17th, 2014. The journey comes to an end, and It's going to be a hell of a ride!

Prisoners - 5/5

How far are you willing to go to find the truth and to commit acts of justice? Prisoners was a film that had so much praise behind it, and I can see why. It's a dark, yet disturbingly beautiful film about the measures we are to take.

On Thanksgiving day, The Dover family head to their friends, The Birch's for dinner. After Dinner, Keller Dover cannot find his daughter Anna and Franklin Birch cannot find his either, Joy. After searching through the neighborhood, Keller's son, Ralph tells his father that he saw the kids playing on an RV before they went inside. Keller dials in the police and Detective Loki apprehends the suspect in the RV, Alex, but tests deduce that Alex has the IQ of a ten year old. Loki requests more time with him, feeling that he did it, despite there being no signs of the kids being in his RV. Alex is later released, and a visibly upset Keller begins to take matters into his own hands, holding Alex in a building, since he feels that he did it. As the search for the kids rages onwards, Loki must continue his search for the real abductor of the kids.

The hugest positive of the film is it's cast and their A-game acting. With a superb cast that includes Hugh Jackman, Jake Gyllenhaal, Maria Bello, Terrence Howard, Viola Davis, Melissa Leo, and Paul Dano, everyone is absolutely fantastic. Dano is creepingly good as Alex. Jake Gyllenhaal is mostly reserved for a good portion of the film, but even then he still delivers a brilliant performance as Loki. Hugh Jackson was just amazing as Keller, playing a man of faith, who takes matters into his own hands. Don't believe me by his performance? Just watch the scene with him, Dano, and Terrance Howard in the bathroom, that scene was fucking intense. Also, sweet goatee, Jackman.

I've read that some people see some similarities with David Fincher's Zodiac, mainly with the cold nature of the film, and with the hard detective work, but for the most part, both of these films are completely different, and in a good way. David Fincher is one of my favorite directors, and I absolutely love Zodiac but Denis Villeneuve did such an incredible job handling Prisoners that I might just have to bump it up a notch over Zodiac.

It has a very disturbing, yet beautiful look to the film. Where the music sets the mood, and the climate in the film only enhances it, but Roger Deakins beautiful cinematography triumphs here. It has the look of a mystery film, but certain parts of the film had me looking at it more from a film noir aspect. While it may not conventionally have the film noir look, but at times it certainly feels like one.

Many emotions will be flowing when watching this film, and it's definitely not for the faint of heart. The twist was great and for the first time in a long while,

I didn't really see it coming, despite a clue being there. The ending I also thought was just perfect. I read reviews where people seem to see the ending as a weak spot, but I don't. I can't really discuss it due to spoilers, but I loved it.

Prisoners is definitely one of 2013's best films and is a great film in general. One of the biggest positives about this film is that everything worked and everything fit perfectly. Prisoners should not be missed.

As for 2013 films:
SEEN:

The Counselor - 4     Homefront - 3.5

Prisoners - 5/5     The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug - 5/5

LOOKING FORWARD TO:
The Iceman - May 3rd, DVD-September 3rd
Ain't Them Bodies Saints - DVD-December 17th
Escape Plan - October 18th
Her - December 18th
Out Of The Furnace - December 6th
American Hustle - December 20th

#393 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:05 AM

Updated:

SEEN:

• Byzantium A+
  • Mama  A+
  • World War Z  A
  • Warm Bodies  A
  • Free Samples A
  • Oblivion  A-
  • My Amityville Horror  A-
  • Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters  A-
  • The Last Stand  A-
  • Iron Man 3  B+
  • The Numbers Station  B+
  • Girls Against Boys  B+
  • Texas Chainsaw B+
  • It's a Disaster B
  • This is the End  B
  • Hank: Five Years From the Brink  B
  • Fast & Furious 6  B-
  • Broken City  B-
  • We Steal Secrets  C+
  • 2 Guns C+
  • Maniac  C+
  • Superman: Unbound  C+
  • Dead Man Down  C+
  • We're the Millers  C
  • Evil Dead  C
  • Side Effects C
  • Straight A's  C
  • Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part 2  C
  • Room 237  C-
  • The Last Exorcism Part II  D+
  • The English Teacher  D
  • A Good Day to Die Hard  D
  • Liars All  D-
  • The Haunting in Connecticut 2: Ghost of Georgia  F
  • On the Road F
  • A Haunted House F
  • Movie 43  F

LOOKING FORWARD TO:

• The Family
  • Kick-Ass 2
  • CBGB
  • American Hustle
  • The Conjuring
  • Passion
  • Prisoners
  • Insidious: Chapter 2
  • Escape from Tomorrow
  • Olympus Has Fallen
  • The Lifeguard
  • The Iceman
  • Killing Season
  • Redemption

Edited by tdalton, 15 December 2013 - 02:47 PM.

#394 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:25 AM

Seen;

Officer Down**
The Last Stand**
Bullet to the Head**
Stand Up Guys*
A Good Day To Die Hard***
The Incredible Burt Wonderstone***
Welcome to the Punch*
Admission*
Olympus Has Fallen***
G.I. Joe: Retaliation***
The Place Beyond the Pines*
Oblivion*
Iron Man 3**
Pain & Gain*
Star Trek Into Darkness**
Fast & Furious 6***
The Hangover Part III*
Now You See Me*
This Is the End***
Man of Steel***
World War Z****
White House Down***
Grown Ups 2***
Killing Season*
Pacific Rim*
RED 2**
The Wolverine****
2 Guns**
We're the Millers**
Elysium**
Kick-Ass 2**
Paranoia**
Getaway*
Prisoners****
Machete Kills****
Captain Phillips***
Gravity**
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug****

Still to see;

Rush
Escape Plan
The Fifth Estate
Thor: The Dark World 
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues
47 Ronin
Lone Survivor

#395 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:19 AM

^ Definitely should see Catching Fire. I thought it was way better than the first film which is good because the second book is actually a lot better than the first in my opinion.

#396 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:48 AM

Updated:

SEEN:

• Byzantium A+
  • Mama  A+
  • The Family  A
  • World War Z  A
  • Warm Bodies  A
  • Free Samples A
  • Oblivion  A-
  • The Last Stand  A-
  • Iron Man 3  B+
  • Girls Against Boys  B+
  • Texas Chainsaw B+
  • It's a Disaster B
  • This is the End  B
  • Kick-Ass 2  B-
  • Fast & Furious 6  B-
  • Broken City  B-
  • We Steal Secrets  C+
  • 2 Guns C+
  • Maniac  C+
  • Dead Man Down  C+
  • We're the Millers  C
  • Evil Dead  C
  • Side Effects C
  • Straight A's  C
  • Room 237  C-
  • The English Teacher  D
  • Liars All  D-
  • On the Road F
  • A Haunted House F
  • Movie 43  F

LOOKING FORWARD TO:

• CBGB
  • American Hustle
  • The Conjuring
  • Passion
  • Prisoners
  • Escape from Tomorrow
  • Olympus Has Fallen
  • The Lifeguard
  • The Iceman
  • Killing Season
  • Redemption
  • Trance
  • Pacific Rim
  • The Wolverine
  • Man of Steel
  • The Purge
  • Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues

#397 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:02 PM

American Hustle

Superbly acted and with some great dialog, this movie chronicles the 'Abscam' scandal of the late 70s.  Starring Christian Bale and Amy Adams' cleavage (seriously, every outfit) as two con artists who are forced to help the feds bring down bigger fish.  Problem is, the fish get way too big for everyone's own good setting the stage for one final con.  The soundtrack makes for a fun trip down 70s lane.  Jeremy Renner holds his own against the likes of Bale and Bradley Coooper.  There's even a surprise cameo as the stakes get incredibly high (to say the actor or even the genre of character would spoil the surprise, as it makes perfect sense).  That being said, it's slow in spots--three people feel asleep snoring at different times.  Still, a satisfying ending with the characters having more redeeming qualities than you'd think.  Louis CK plays Cooper's sad sack boss and there's a running gag about telling an ice fishing story that's amusing.  Don't be surprised if Jennifer Lawrence gets another academy nomination this time as supporting actress, though Amy turned in a fine performance too.  But Lawrence is going to dazzle us with her acting chops in the coming years.

#398 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:16 PM

Gravity - 2/5

I knew it was too good to be true when I was seeing all of these five star reviews for Gravity. Am I saying that all of you suck and my opinion is the best? Absolutely not, that is the biggest reason I am on here: Opinions, the sheer fact we can share our love for cinema and have opinions and carry on at the end of the day. However, Gravity, while it may look dazzling with it's visual effects, and the great sheer realism of space, the story is extremely lacking. Even for a guy like me, who didn't want to see it in the first place, but was reluctant that it may be good.

Set in space, We see a very long, yet wonderful opening shot showing a team during a mission aboard the Explorer. However they come in contact with shrapnel from a missile strike from the Russians. The shrapnel destroys the Exploerer and drifts the team apart. Dr. Ryan Stone begins to drift out into the open vastness of outer space, until Matt Kowalski comes and grabs her, before setting out to an ISS, which in then causes them to have their tether split apart and Ryan becomes the only person who appears to be a survivor of her team. It then becomes a race against time for her to get back to Earth and have safety once again.

The story is nothing more than that of a survivor tale, though there are the underlyings that are present, and the grieving mother aspect that is Dr. Ryan Stone, played by Sandra Bullock. She plays the astronaut who is on her first mission, whereas Clooney, who plays Kowalski is on his last. Surely the story can be about Ryan overcoming hear fears and grievances and working towards succeeding and looking for a new found strength to live and return safely back to earth. The overall basic idea of someone having to overcome something and going through hell to make it back has been done, so the overall story for me wasn't really there and it honestly did nothing for me.

I will hand it to the visual effects team, they did do an awesome job creating the visual effects and truly capturing what Space is, whether you look at it as an astounding beauty or a sheer horror, it was nice. There are some very cool shots in the film, where the opening 13 minute long shot comes instantly to mind, and some of the the point of vision shots, but you also cant help, but to understand that this is greatly helped by CGI. Yes I understand that Warner Bros. Couldn't send a team to space to film Gravity, but to try to understand where I am coming from on this. I also liked the Music score too, so kudos, Steven Price!

This was only the second film by director, co-writer and producer, Alfonso Cuaron that I have seen, the first being Harry Potter and The Prisoner Of Askaban. The man gets a lot of praise throughout his career, mainly towards his 2006 outing, Children Of Men, which I have not seen despite owning. I can't really say much about the man and his work, but I'm pleased on how well he worked on creating with the rest of the production the best looking space film, but I'm also disappointed in how he doesn't try to push the story further than that of the visual effects (if this makes sense).

There is nothing wrong with liking Gravity, but I just can't like this film, aside from the technical aspects. The story just wasn't engaging and it wasn't there for me. I never felt on the edge of my seat and I never felt like I was one with the characters. But hey, that's just me. A film can look as sparkling beautiful as it can, but in the end, it's not the visuals that make it so great, it's the story, and it wasn't here for me.

As for 2013 films:
SEEN:

Prisoners - 5     The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug - 5
Gravity - 2/5

LOOKING FORWARD TO:
The Iceman - DVD/BR-September 3rd
Ain't Them Bodies Saints - DVD/BR-December 17th
Escape Plan - DVD/BR - February 4th, 2014
Her - December 18th
Out Of The Furnace - December 6th

#399 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:27 AM

^ Definitely should see Catching Fire. I thought it was way better than the first film which is good because the second book is actually a lot better than the first in my opinion.

I always felt that the second book was just a rehash of the first one. It's good, don't get me wrong, I just like the first book more. That said, Catching Fire is loads better than Mockinjay....ick.

#400 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:02 AM

American Hustle

The plot is basically how Professor Pi describes it above. Very loosely based on the events of ABSCAM (A title card proclaims, "some of this actually happened.") it is a colorful romp from the late '70's featuring plenty of mystery, intrigue, and double-crosses, with a healthy dose of sex. (Amy Adams  or Jennifer Lawrence? Don't make me choose!) Great cast all around.

A minus

#401 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:57 PM

I always felt that the second book was just a rehash of the first one. It's good, don't get me wrong, I just like the first book more. That said, Catching Fire is loads better than Mockinjay....ick.

It is kind of but I like Catching Fire because you can tell that a rebellion will happen. Mockingjay was not good I definitely agree with you about that.

#402 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:07 PM

Updated:

SEEN:

• Byzantium A+
  • The Conjuring  A+
  • Trance  A
  • The Family  A
  • World War Z  A
  • Warm Bodies  A
  • Free Samples A
  • Oblivion  A-
  • The Last Stand  A-
  • Iron Man 3  B+
  • Girls Against Boys  B+
  • Mama  B+
  • Texas Chainsaw B+
  • It's a Disaster B
  • This is the End  B
  • Kick-Ass 2  B-
  • Man of Steel  B-
  • Fast & Furious 6  B-
  • Broken City  B-
  • We Steal Secrets  C+
  • 2 Guns C+
  • Maniac  C+
  • Dead Man Down  C+
  • We're the Millers  C
  • Evil Dead  C
  • Side Effects C
  • Straight A's  C
  • Room 237  C-
  • The English Teacher  D
  • Liars All  D-
  • On the Road F
  • A Haunted House F
  • Movie 43  F

LOOKING FORWARD TO:

• CBGB
  • American Hustle
  • Passion
  • Prisoners
  • Escape from Tomorrow
  • Olympus Has Fallen
  • The Lifeguard
  • The Iceman
  • Killing Season
  • Redemption
  • Pacific Rim
  • The Wolverine
  • The Purge

#403 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:41 AM

Out Of The Furnace - 3.5/5

Scott Cooper's Out Of The Furnace is a pretty straight forward revenge thriller set against the backdrop of a dying small American town. It boasts an impressive cast that includes Christian Bale, Casey Affleck, Woody Harrelson, Willem Dafoe, Sam Shepard, Zoe Saldana, and Forest Whitaker. Though it's simple, that's just about it, there's nothing new or interesting about it, other than it being worth a watch.

Russell Baze(Bale) works in the local steel mill and takes care of his terminally ill father, along with his brother, Rodney(Affleck). Russell gets sent to prison for some time and his brother does time for his country in Iraq for the US Army. Upon being released he finds out that his father passed away, his girlfriend, Lena(Saldana) moved on, and that his Brother has got involved with some serious crime rings, underground fighting. Russell returns to his old job and begins to live a quiet life, while seeking help from his uncle Red(Shepard), but his brothers behavior has gotten out of control.

Rodney turns to the man he owes money for, John Petty(Dafoe) to book him a fight in Jersey, one last fight pay off his debts and move on. Petty initially declines doing so, as the people up there are vicious and live by a law of their own, but proceeds onwards. After his fight is book, he meets the man responsible for the fights in Jersey, Harlan DeGroat(Harrelson), who tells him to take a dive in the fight. Rodney takes the dive, albeit without taking a vicious beating in the process, and it seems that the debts between all men are settled. While leaving the area, DeGroat stops them and kills The Two of them. Russell contacts the police about going up there and looking for his brother and arresting DeGroat, but the captain, Wesley(Whitaker) won't allow it, and leaves it to the police up there to do it. Russell wanting revenge and needing closure goes on his own mission to avenge Rodney's death.

Like I said it's a pretty simple, straight forward revenge film, it's been done many times, whether it's good or bad, but Out Of The Furnace Falls right in between that fine line. It doesn't introduce anything new, and while the story may be compelling with it's brotherly love, that's about it. It can drag a bit in a few spots, but for the most part, it moves steadily. The direction from Scott Cooper is spot on, as he makes the most of his cast, and uses everything well to his advantage in making a bleak, yet dark revenge story. I was much more impressed with Cooper and this film than his previous outing, Crazy Heart, a film that I didn't like, but I liked with what he did on this film.

The acting is one of it's strongest points in the film. Christian Bale is one of my favorite actors and while he was good in this, he seemed to be a bit more reserved in this one. I was waiting in the theater for him to let it all out and deliver, but like I said, he was more reserved. Case Affleck continues to prove that he is a better actor than his older brother, Ben, and rightfully so he is. I personally think Affleck was the star of this film, I thought he was better than Bale in the scenes he shared with him. Harrelson plays your typical small town villain, but his acting as Harlan makes it interesting to watch him. Anther performance I liked was Dafoe's as John Petty. Surely he doesn't have enough screen time in this, but I think Dafoe is perfect in just about anything.

Another strong point is the music in the film, composed by Dickon Hinchliffe and Eddie Vedder. The score perfectly captures the emotions of love, hatred, and pain. It was perfectly matched up with each scene and brought a special life to the film. The music told it's own story with the backdrop of the small dying American Town. And then there's the Pearl Jam song "Release" which was used perfectly in the opening and closing titles and went well with the film. It's a damn fine song and hearing it in the theater surround sound speakers was just unspeakable.

Out Of The Furnace is worth watching, whether you see it now or wait for DVD and Blu Ray. It's a good film that tells a simple revenge story, although nothing new is ultimately brought into the mixture.

Ain't Them Bodies Saints - 4/5

Oh, What to say about David Lowery's Ain't Them Bodies Saints. Pretty straight forward plot, wonderful direction, and acting. It's the story about two lovers; Bob Muldoon and Ruth Guthrie, and they are on the run. When taking cover, Ruth shoots an officer and wounds, however it's Bob it takes the blame and responsibility for the shot, for the fear of not wanting Ruth to go to prison. Bob is ultimately sent to prison, and during his duration behind bars, Ruth gives birth to a baby girl, Sylvie. Feeling tired of waiting, Bob breaks out of prison and sets out to return to Ruth and see her and his daughter.

At it's core, it's a romance story, and a pretty simple one too. The criminal shade only enhances it a bit more and makes it more interesting and watchable as it doesn't stray off and become something we've seen already. Two people who have committed crimes, one looking for redemption and wanting a new life, the other continuing that life of crime just to see the one he loves. I suppose you can say that I enjoyed this a little more than I should have.

First time writer/director David Lowery brings a unique side to the film. Situations don't feel blown out of proportions, scenes don't feel dragged, the dialogue is simple, yet effective, and the film looks beautiful. The cinematography is a story of it's own in this film, as complements the film in many ways. It's a visual feast, whether it's the most beautiful of scenes, or the most simplest of scenes. Almost feeling like poetry.

The acting is very, very well done. Ben Foster does a great job of playing Officer Patrick Wheeler, a pretty grounded character for the most part, who develops feelings for Ruth over time. It's a bit of a different role for Foster as it strays away from his usual menacing and/or gruff roles that he is akin to. Casey Affleck is great in the role of Bob Muldoon, the man who loves Ruth Guthrie and breaks out of prison to see her and his daughter. He, once again proves to be a much better actor than Ben. He breaks out, but only to cause more attention to be raised to him and Ruth, as he still feels like he has a chance with her, even though, over the course of time, it's about as slim as you can get. He doesn't portray our character as a tough, western guy, which is nice, he plays Muldoon as a simple criminal who is in love. Rooney really shines in this one as Ruth Guthrie. The significant other to Bob and mother Sylvie, she brings a special charisma to the screen and really breaths life into the character. The character for the most can be as flat as possible, but it isn't, She really handles Ruth well, in which she plays a woman who can end it all if she just tells the truth. No secret that I like Rooney, and I really enjoyed her in this one.

It has a special atmosphere to it, which feels too good to be true, but You really can't look away from the screen, With the simple, yet great music score and lush cinematography. It all slowly builds up over the course of it's 90-minutes duration. Speaking of the duration, for a story like this, 90-minutes seems to be enough, though the ending felt a little rushed to me, and I think the film could have benefited with another fifteen to twenty minutes to better make the most of things. It works well, and isn't drawn out, but with more time, the film could have better sprawled out and had a conclusion it really deserves, instead of a sudden one.

The finished product is a fairly well told story, that is executed perfectly (for the most part) Doesn't bring anything new to the Romance and/or crime genres, but the direction and acting alone are worth watching.

As for 2013 films:
SEEN:

Gravity - 2       Out Of The Furnace - 3.5/5

Ain't Them Bodies Saints - 4/5

LOOKING FORWARD TO:
Her - December 18th

Well the new year approaches, and it's time for a new set of films. In comparison, 2014 is either about the same or less than that of 2013. The biggest year will easily be 2015. In the meantime, head on over to the 2014 film thread, I'll be doing some film updates soon in that thread.
http://debrief.comma...m/#entry1269166

#404 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:26 PM

Olympus Has Fallen - 2/5

I was originally going to give this 3 Stars, but an hour after thinking about it, I really thought about that decision. Antoine Fuqua's Olympus Has Fallen is an action film you could say is by the book for the most part, and a call back to old-school 80's and 90's action films, but It's far from interesting and far from great. Gerard Butler stars as Mike Banning, a former Special Forces Operative who now works in the Secret Service. When our country comes under attack from North Korea, and the President and the White House being Taken by guerrilla's, it's up to John McCl- uhh I mean, Mike Banning to save the day.

Where Do I begin... Well Gerard Butler for the most part isn't that bad of an action hero. He can kick ass, and delivers cheesy one-liners pretty well. The only problem is he comes across almost as a wanna be carbon copy of John McClane. The action for the most part is pretty much everything you've already seen before, so It's nothing special, but it can be pretty fun at times watching Gerard Butler stab terrorists in the throat with a knife. The assault on the White House relies on so much CGI it's pretty embarrassing. While the acting in the scene alone is pretty brutal and fun, the CGI tones it down a few notches. After that, the lighting in the rest of the action scenes is too dark and the action is too repetitive (I know, I'm starting to contradict myself at this point.

As a Proud American (despite problems stemming from within the Country [No I will not discuss Politics]), this film is way to damn Amurican. Nothing wrong with Patriotism, but The patriotism is so high in this one. It's like watching a serious Team America: World Police. It also relies too much on the the Die Hard formula, which was evident in the trailer, but I didn't expect it this much. I'm surprise Butler didn't say "Yippie Ki-Yay, Motherfucker!". Not to mention relies on predictable cliches and twists. Oh and Rick Yune plays a blander villain than the one he did in the 007 film, Die Another Day

There's not much to say about Olympus Has Fallen other than it's basically Die Hard In The White House. While it's better than John Moore's A Good Day To Die Hard It's still bland for the most part feels a bit drawn out. Funny, if this had better retooling, this probably could work with John McClane and would have been better than the latest Die Hard outing. There's the similar film which was released in 2013 which was directed by the master of disaster (literally) Roland Emmerich called White House Down. I wonder if that will be worse than this or better. If you want action film escapist, just do yourself a favor and pop in John McTiernan's timeless classic Die Hard, starring Bruce Willis.

The Family - 2/5

Luc Besson's The Family executive produced by Martin Scorsese is a film I had been anticipating for much of 2013. It sounded like a great crime film with a great cast and with Besson returning to helm. The problem was the trailer, it made me lose interest in it quickly as it tried to come off as a poor crime comedy, and fortunately I was pretty much right.

The film is a about the Manzoni Mafia family that undergoes witness protection in a small town in France. Following the father and husband, Giovanni (Robert De Niro), the mother and wife, Maggie (Michelle Pfeiffer), the daughter, Belle (Dianna Agron) and the Son, Warren (John D'Leo). While trying to blend in with the locals, back home in New York, The Family is trying their hardest to locate Giovanni and and take him out.

It's a pretty straight forward plot, and while I figured that It would have been a crime drama type of film it would work, but when trying to blend in comedy and action, it doesn't work. When watching the film, one wonders if this was better being a comedy. The jokes fall incredibly flat, leaving maybe a chuckle or two to expel from you. The action scenes are nothing more than the Manzoni family beating up other people with their New York toughness, even though we've already seen that with just about every other Mob film. The climax of the film is anything but climatic, as it's extremely underwhelming and the film for the most is pretty predictable.

The acting is pretty good for the most part, with the exceptions going to Michelle Pfeiffer and John D'Leo who I thought were well. Tommy Lee Jones who plays the Manzoni family supervisor appears bored throughout the film and his role is anything but memorable. Dianna Agron, whom is exceptionally beautiful is too old for the part, and it really shows, It's hard to believe someone who is almost in their thirties to play a 15-18 year old. And then Robert De Niro, one of my favorite actors of all time appears to be doing his best impersonation of Robert De Niro in this film, and it isn't well.

The film tries a bit hard to be something it isn't and Besson's direction is poor. He can't really seem to push the story along swiftly without relying on old Mob film and black comedy film cliches which really hinders on the film. If anything, he's trying to make the film look more like something Scorsese would make, but I know Scorsese wouldn't make something this bad or even remotely disappointing (then again, maybe). Scorsese's involvement didn't come along until the film was in post-production and from what I heard, it was maybe in the editing room. I find it odd as Marty strikes me as the type of fellow to correct some wrongs that are obviously present. Then again, maybe he heard about the film from De Niro and just decided to slap his name on it.

The Family is a disappointing, dull wannabe mob comedy. Ain't nothing else to say, other than this is the best Luc Besson, the man who directed a highly underrated action/crime film known as The Professional, made Jason Statham an action star with the The Transporter made a cool sci-fi film with Bruce Willis with The Fifth Element and made Liam Neeson a bad ass with Taken. This was the best he could do? I'm not impressed.

As for 2013 films:
SEEN:

Gravity - 2       Out Of The Furnace - 3.5

Ain't Them Bodies Saints - 4     Olympus Has Fallen - 2/5

The Family-2/5

LOOKING FORWARD TO:
Her - December 18th

#405 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:27 PM

Updated:

SEEN:

• Byzantium A+
  • The Conjuring  A+
  • Trance  A
  • The Family  A
  • World War Z  A
  • Warm Bodies  A
  • Free Samples A
  • Oblivion  A-
  • The Last Stand  A-
  • Iron Man 3  B+
  • Girls Against Boys  B+
  • Mama  B+
  • Texas Chainsaw B
  • Pacific Rim  B
  • It's a Disaster B
  • This is the End  B
  • Kick-Ass 2  B-
  • Man of Steel  B-
  • Fast & Furious 6  B-
  • Broken City  B-
  • We Steal Secrets  C+
  • 2 Guns C+
  • Maniac  C+
  • Dead Man Down  C+
  • We're the Millers  C
  • Evil Dead  C
  • The Wolverine  C
  • Side Effects C
  • Straight A's  C
  • Runner Runner  C-
  • Room 237  C-
  • All the Boys Love Mandy Lane  D+
  • Insidious: Chapter 2  D+
  • The English Teacher  D
  • Liars All  D-
  • On the Road F
  • A Haunted House F
  • Movie 43  F

LOOKING FORWARD TO:

• CBGB
  • American Hustle
  • Passion
  • Prisoners
  • Escape from Tomorrow
  • Olympus Has Fallen
  • The Lifeguard
  • The Iceman
  • Killing Season
  • Redemption
  • The Purge

Edited by tdalton, 09 January 2014 - 06:19 PM.

#406 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:42 AM

Lone Survivor - 4.5/5

"You can die for your country, I want to live for mine"

Lone Survivor tells the story of the real life military mission, Operation Red Wings in 2005. The film though goes to the book that was written by the only surviving Navy SEAL from the operation, Marcus Luttrell. There is no propaganda, this isn't a recruitment film, it is simply showing the real mission brought to life and showing the heart, courage, and bravery those four SEALs showed.

In 2005, four Navy SEALs, Marcus, Murphy, Dietz, and Axelson go on a mission in Afghanistan to capture and kill a Taliban leader.When they are compromised, they hike onwards to radio in extraction only to get ambushed by many Taliban soldiers. It begins a fight of four men against a small army and shows the bravery and the Brotherhood of the SEALs.

This doesn't have any propaganda or makes you want to join the military and kill terrorists. Peter Berg presents us the true story of Operation Red Wings. He presents us with our characters and drops them in the gritty realism that is war. While the action scenes are top not h, you seem to get more out of the scenes featuring the SEALs whether it's scenes with them in between battle, or talking to one another. The feels real with the action and the brotherhood.

The acting in the film was outstanding. No flaws from anyone. They are believable in their roles. I do wish Eric Bana had more screen time, but of what he had I enjoyed him. The SEALs, including Mark Wahlberg as Marcus, Taylor Kitsch as Murphy, Emille Hirsch as Dietz, and Ben Foster as Axelson. The cast was great, though for me, Ben Foster was a scene stealer in almost everything. His final scene was heartbreaking and I almost broke down in tears.

On a technical side, this film had some pretty damn impressive sound. From the littlest of things like a tree branch moving to an explosion. Everything sounded perfect. The cinematography was good for the most part, wasn't an over usage of the shaky cam, and for the most part, action scenes were handled pretty well, though it wasn't really brought to us in a new manner.

Really enjoyed the music score too by Explosions In The Sky and Steve Jablonsky. Subtle enough, but really effective. It was also nice to see Berg favor natural war ambiance and gun fire for his action scenes instead of music score, which is something that I really detest. The use of Peter Gabriel's cover of the David Bowie song Heroes was great and emotional too.

Put aside differences, politics, and just witness how the filmmakers brought to life the real life mission, and well too. It was emotional for me, as I nearly cried at least four or five times. It was just well made, inside and out. It was a challenge to fight back those tears. I was so glad this didn't follow into the footsteps of Black Hawk Down and not allow breathing room in between the action and the story, as that would have been disappointing.

Overall, Lone Survivor is a damn good war film, and moving one about the brotherhood of the SEALs and their bravery and dedication and commitment to their country nearly ten years ago.

The Wolf Of Wall Street - 4/5

Jordan Belfort is a motherf****r. He's a disgusting, sleazy, druggie, motherf****r. Martin Scorsese's The Wolf Of Wall Street doesn't in any way glorify him. It goes and shows you the motherf****r that is Jordan Belfort, The Wolf Of Wall Street.

Without a doubt, Scorsese brings outs the very best in our leading man, Leonardo DiCaprio, who is literally magic on screen. He dazzles like a diamond as Belfort, portraying the sleazy wall street stockbroker. He is crazy, he is hilarious, he is ruthless, he is greedy, and he is (once again) a motherf****r. Belfort isn't the type of guy you want to be around. He is all about himself, and making himself richer than he already is. Remove a soul from Gordon Gekko and add in sleazy disgustingness (I know that isnt a word) and you get Jordan Belfort.

The rest of the acting is sensational! Jonah Hill is fantastic as Belfort's right hand man, Donny. With a performance like this, it only means big things for Hill and his acting career. He is exceptionally well under the guidance of Scorsese and has electric chemistry with DiCaprio. The rest of the cast includes Margot Robbie who is beautiful yet funny as Belfort's wife. Rob Reiner who is hilarious as Belfort's dad, Jon Bernthal as an associate of Belfort's, and with limited screen time, Matthew McConaughey who was pretty damn outstanding. The chest thumping scene was way more funnier than it probably should have been.

Martin Scorsese does a hell of a good job bringing this crazy, drug and booze induced world that Belfort is a product of, to life. From start to finish, everything is crazy. From Belfort snorting cocaine out of the anus of a prostitute, slow motion quaalude scenes, extreme nudity, intoxicated masturbation from Jonah Hill, and other crazy S***. Scorsese doesn't let you take a breath on his ride through New York, and his direction in this is some of the best.

Rounding off the the film are the sharp cuts from the editing by Thelma Schoonmaker and that damn good soundtrack. There is no original score present in the film, as Scorsese goes with a more music driven route. The soundtrack brings a whole 'nother life to the film and tells a damn good story with it, much like some of his previous music driven films have done. There are nice, efficient cuts through the film that make it tight (to an extent) Perfect example is the dialogue scenes,. Not once do they feel boring, then again when has a Scorsese film ever had a sense of bore to it, with such fine editing.

Though the film is outstanding and an absolute journey through the land of Holy S*** That Was Crazy, it doesn't go without its problems, which happen to be a few gripes of mine. I believe the last Scorsese film that was three hours long was Casino, and not once did that film ever feel like it was dragging its feet. With this film having an exceptional running time, an hour, maybe an hour and a half into the film, you start to feel the effects of the long run time. To think this film was at once nearly four hours long is absurd. I don't mind long films, so long as their engaging, but The Wolf Of Wall Street does tend to show more than we need, such as more sex, more drugs, and more of the favorite word "F***".

I'd have settled for at least 20-30 minutes off the film. This doesn't make it it a bad film at all, it just brings it down a notch, a big one for me. For the most part, its highly urged to see this without family, as there's no telling how they will take it. So go out and see the roller coaster of a film that is The Wolf Of Wall Street,  I know I for sure will be seeing this again soon.

American Hustle - 1.5/5

"I hate plots, Christian, I'm all about characters" An actual quote from David O. Russell, the filmmaker behind American Hustle and it clearly shows since he doesn't know what film he is making. He has a general idea that is supported through the writing of a sub par script. Because of this and him favoring characters, he hopes the audience is wowed by the performances of the star studded cast then by the (weak) plot.

Irving Rosenfeld (Christian Bale) and Sydney Prosser (Amy Adams) are con artists in 1978 New York. When FBI Agent Richie DiMaso (Bradley Cooper) busts them for loan fraud, he will grant them freedom if they cooperate on an operation to bringing down corrupt officials that includes the new mayor of Camden, New Jersey, Carmine Pollito (Jeremy Renner).

As I mentioned earlier, O. Russell and his film relies on his cast and their acting more so than ever. While a supporting role from Louis C.K. and a cameo by Robert De Niro are great, the main cast isn't all that you think. Bale may look impressive to the audience with his comb over and pot belly, but like his earlier film this year Out Of The Furnace, he is reserved and while he feels like he is meant to a part of the film, his acting isn't to great. Thanks for trying! Amy Adams is much like Bale in this in terms of performance, but her breast inducing wardrobe and horrible accent don't bring any interests. Bradley Cooper is one of the better parts of the film, and Jeremy Renner was underused and needed more screen time. Jennifer Lawrence was too young for the part and her acting felt fake and forced. Looking back on the film, I honestly think it could have benefited from her not being in this.

So what exactly is American Hustle? It isn't a black comedy as there is nothing remotely funny in the film regarding the plot of characters. It isn't a character study as none of our characters are interesting enough to like or care about, and they don't go through extreme changes. It isn't a drama as it doesn't come off as compelling enough to the viewer whether it is the plot of characters. I guess it's a crime film, but even then it doesn't even feel or act like one.

While it has slick editing and an exquisitely chosen soundtrack, it is too long. The flashback scenes for Irving and Sydney didn't feel necessary and if it truly was needed it needed to be half of how long it was. There are many scenes that are not needed and are too long than they are originally are intended, so maybe the film could have benefited with a little more time on the cutting room floor.

So I ask again, did David O. Russell really know what he was making? I honestly feel like he didn't. I was hoping for a better experience than his previous film, which I shut off, but having seen nearly half of his filmography, this is nowhere near his best, and his best could possibly be The Fighter. This a weakly made film and it's original title was better suited: American Bullshit I think O. Russell was in way over his head for this film and shows. Its out of control.

Let me state that I was looking forward to this film. This review isn't me falling in line with the countless other people who started bashing it for the fact it got many Academy Award nominations. Did the bashing have an effect on me and my views on the film? Absolutely not, how I feel about this film is because of how I feel, not being supported by others bashing.

American Hustle is just weak film, nothing more, nothing less. The cons greatly outweigh the few pros in this one. On a side note, Jennifer Lawrence, don't ever sing along to "Live And Let Die" again please.

The Iceman - 2/5

The Iceman is a notorious hitman who worked for the mafia for nearly twenty years or so. He was a vicious man in which he killed over a hundred people. Before he was a hitman, before he was a porn dubber, he was a serial killer, not a lot of people know this(I'll discuss more later).

The Iceman chronicles Richard Kuklinski, whom works dubbing pornographic films in a DeMeo Crime Family operation. He comes off as your ordinary, loving family man, but he has a dark secret:He's a contract killer for the mafia. He begins doing favors for the boss of the family, Roy, until he eventually works his way up and begins doing his own freelance work and starts utilizing a method that earns him the nickname "The Iceman".

When it comes to organized crime, people are really interested in the likes of Al Capone, Whitey Bulger, John Gotti, and other notorious figures. For me, it was Richard Kuklinski. Whether you believe the over one hundred kills he has or him stabbing Jimmy Hoffa in the back of the neck and putting him in an oil drum and setting it on fire is up to you. When I mentioned that he was a serial killer, it was true, he would often kill people in the NY/NJ area for sport before becoming a hitman. He was a vicious psychotic man, and is one of the reasons im studying Criminal psychology to understand what makes men like him, and other notorious criminals and killers tick.

The film is essentially a by the books crime film and biography film. It really only tells us a fraction of who Richard Kuklinski is. While it shows the family man side of him, it also does show his ruthlessness to an extent. By that I mean they show that he was cold, but the filmmakers played it too safe in not really showing us the man he really was. When you read books and hear interviews and watch documentaries on Kuklinski, you'll know just how cold the man truly was. Our Kuklinski is nothing more than a mob movie hitman, it doesn't show him getting sloppy or evil.

This doesn't take away from Michael Shannon's performance as Kuklinski who plays him quite well and naturally exuberates the cold demeanor of Kuklinski. He his supported by a great supporting cast that includes Chris Evans, Winona Ryder, James Franco, David Schwimmer, Stephen Dorf, Robert Davi and everyone's favorite mob guy, Ray Liotta. The cast turn in wonderful performances throughout, but feel underwhelmed by the underwhelming script and are not developed enough (Chris Evans character for example).

While the performances are great, and the nature of the film is gritty, The Iceman just doesn't cut it. Like I said, it plays everything too safe, and with a character like Kuklinski, you cant just tell his story in under an hour and forty minutes. Utterly disappointed with this one.

As for 2013 films:
SEEN:

Gravity - 2       Out Of The Furnace - 3.5

Ain't Them Bodies Saints - 4     Olympus Has Fallen - 2

The Family - 2     Lone Survivor - 4.5/5

The Wolf Of Wall Street - 4/5     American Hustle - 1.5/5

The Iceman - 2/5

LOOKING FORWARD TO: The final films I'm looking at for my "Best Of 2013" List. All other films from the year will be review in the regular thread.
Her - December 18th

12 Years A Slave

Captain Phillips

The Hunt

#407 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:06 AM

Updated:

Seen:

A

Byzantium (+)

Prisoners (+)

The Conjuring

Trance

The Family

Blackfish

World War Z

Warm Bodies

Free Samples 

Oblivion (-)

My Amityville Horror (-)

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (-)

The Last Stand (-)

B

Iron Man 3 (+)

The Numbers Station (+)

Girls Against Boys (+)

Mama (+)

Texas Chainsaw 

Pacific Rim

It's a Disaster

This is the End

Hank: Five Years From the Brink

Kick-Ass 2 (-)

Fast & Furious 6 (-)

Broken City (-)

Man of Steel (-)

C

We Steal Secrets (+)

Killing Season (+)

2 Guns (+)

Maniac (+)

Superman: Unbound (+)

Dead Man Down (+)

Olympus Has Fallen

We're the Millers

Evil Dead

The Wolverine

Side Effects

Straight A's

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part II

Runner Runner (-)

Room 237 (-)

D

All The Boys Love Mandy Lane (+)

Insidious: Chapter 2 (+)

The Last Exorcism Part II (+)

Only God Forgives

The English Teacher

The Lifeguard

A Good Day to Die Hard (-)

Liars All (-)

F

The Haunting in Connecticut 2: Ghosts of Georgia

On the Road

A Haunted House

Movie 43

Big Sur

Edited by tdalton, 26 January 2014 - 06:34 PM.

#408 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:14 PM

Best Of 2013 awards List. These are IN NO WAY my predictions for this years Academy Awards, just my own personal awards list ;)
Top Ten
1.) Nebraska - Directed by Alexander Payne
2.) 12 Years A Slave - Directed by Steve McQueen
3.) Her - Directed by Spike Jonze
4.) Captain Phillips - Directed by Paul Greengrass
5.) Prisoners - Directed by Denis Villeneuve
6.) Only God Forgives - Directed by Nicholas Winding Refn
7.) Inside Llewyn Davis - Directed by Joel and Ethan Coen
8.) Frances Ha - Directed Noah Baumbach
9.) Spring Breakers - Directed by Harmony Korine
10.) The Wolf Of Wall Street - Directed by Martin Scorsese

Honorable Mentions; Films that I really enjoyed, of all types and that I thought were great but came up rather short of making the top ten.
1.) Mud - Directed by Jeff Nichols
2.) Side Effects - Directed by Steven Soderbergh
3.) The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug - Directed by Peter Jackson
4.) Pain & Gain - Directed by Michael Bay
5.) Behind The Candelabra - Directed by Steven Soderbergh
6.) Lone Survivor - Directed Peter Berg
7.) The Hunt - Directed by Thomas Vinterberg
8.) The Counselor - Directed by Ridley Scott

Awards List
Best Picture: TIE-Nebraska and 12 Years A Slave. Runner Up: Her. Honorable Mention: Captain Phillips.
Though Captain Phillips initially became my top film of the year it was surpassed rather quickly by Nebraska. I loved 12 Years A Slave greatly, and It shares a tie with Nebraska. Spike Jonze's Her, the Sci-Fi Rom-Com was the runner up as I feel it had a slight edge over Captain Phillips, which made the honorable Mention.

Best Director: Alexander Payne, Nebraska. Runner Up: Steve McQueen, 12 Years A Slave.

Alexander Payne impresses me once again with his top notch directing for Nebraska. Steve McQueen who directed 12 Years A Slave is a filmmaker I have been paying very close attention to for a while. This is without a doubt his finest film of his ongoing career (so far), while I love both men's direction, I had to go with Payne.

Best Actor: TIE-Bruce Dern, Nebraska and Chiwetel Ejiofor, 12 Years A Slave. Runner Up: Tom Hanks, Captain Phillips. Honorable Mention(s): Oscar Isaac,  Inside Llewyn Davis  and Joaquin Phoenix, Her. 
Bruce Dern delivers a performance of a lifetime and one that will surely be remembered, and the same can be said about Chiwetel Ejiofor who shares a tie with him. Tom Hanks is the runner up with his tense, awe-inspiring performance in Captain Phillips. Honorable mentions go to Oscar Isaac's performance in the Coen Brothers Inside Llewyn Davis and Joaquin Phoenix from Her.

Best Actress: Greta Gerwig, Frances Ha. Runner Up: Scarlett Johansson, Her. Honorable Mention: Rooney Mara, Side Effects.
Frances Ha was an Indie film that I really loved from 2013, and I really loved Greta Gerwig's performance as the title character with a need to find her place and grow up. Scarlett Johansson comes in very close with her masterful voice acting in Her and the Honorable mention goes to Rooney Mara's performance in Steven Soderbergh's Side Effects, a much layered role.

Best Supporting Actor: Jake Gyllenhaal, Prisoners. Runner Up: Michael Fassbender, 12 Years A Slave. Honorable Mention: James Franco, Spring Breakers.
Jake Gyllenhaal takes this spot (albeit in a tough decision) as the Hard headed Detective Loki with practically nothing to lose in the film Prisoners. Right behind him is Michael Fassbender with probably one of the most sinister and evil performances from him and of 2013 as he plays the evil plantation owner Edwin Epps in 12 Years A Slave. The honorable mention goes to James Franco in a role I loved not because of how he portrayed his character, but subject matter and the situations surrounding him. That role was Alien from Spring Breakers.

Best Supporting Actress: Cameron Diaz, The Counselor. Runner Up: Lupita Nyong'o, 12 Years A Slave. Honorable Mention: Margot Robbie, The Wolf Of Wall Street.
Cameron Diaz is someone I don't find that well of an actress, but her acting as the dangerous, conniving Malkina in The Counselor is her absolute best to date, and her acting thanks to McCarthy's script was top notch. Runner up goes to the deeply affectionate and emotionl performance from Lupita Nyong'o from 12 Years A Slave and the honorable mention goes to Margot Robbie's wonderful performance as Naomi, the attractive, funny, yet fiesty wife of Jordan Belfort in The Wolf Of Wall Street.

Best Original Screenplay: Spike Jonze, Her. Runner Up: Bob Nelson, Nebraska. Honorable Mentions: Cormac McCarthy, The Counselor and Jeff Nichols, Mud.
Spike Jonze does a wonderful job of writing the Sci-Fi Rom-Com Her, which is some of his best to date, with witty dialogue, heart warming romance, and a plausible science fiction future. Bob Nelson is the runner up with outstanding script of the journey of Woody Grant and his prize in Nebraska and Cormac McCarthy's first screenplay, The Counselor, and Jeff Nichols excellent coming of age film, Mud take the honorable mentions.

Best Adapted Screenplay: John Ridley, 12 Years A Slave. Runner Up: Billy Ray, Captain Phillips. Honorable Mention: Terence Winter, The Wolf Of Wall Street.
Adapting from the book of the same name, John Ridley's script for 12 Years A Slave is nothing short of brilliance as he captures the real, haunting times of some of America's darkest days; Slavery. Billy Ray, adapting from the book, "A Captain's Duty" for the film Captain Phillips is the runner up, as he makes sure to bring every ounce of detail and suspense possible. Honorable mention goes to Terence Winter, who adapts Jordan Belfort's insane story of being a Wall Street Broker.

Best Original Score: Hans Zimmer, 12 Years A Slave. Runner Up: Arcade Fire, Her. Honorable Mention: Daniel Pemberton, The Counselor.
12 Years A Slave has to be Zimmer's finest work in a VERY long time, Going for something much more subtle, yet emotionally powerful. Arcade Fire is the runner up with their score for Spike Jonze's Her, a score that was somewhat Reznor-esque, but still was perfect enough to move the film forward and bring a unique, beautiful sound. Honorable mention goes to Daniel Pemberton who through the uses of a beautiful spanish guitar, violent electric guitar, and nerve racking strings creates a score to accompany the volatile world of Ridley Scott's The Counselor.

Best Original Song: "Please Mr. Kennedy" from Inside Llewyn Davis. Runner Up: "The Moon Song", from Her.
The catchy, yet incredible folk song from the Coen Brothers' Inside Llewyn Davis takes this by a pretty wide margin, but the runner up, "The Moon Song" from Her is a great, little folk song as well and performed very well by Karen O in the credits and by Scarlett Johansson in the film.

Best Sound: Captain Phillips. Runner Up: Lone Survivor. Honorable Mention: The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug.
As a whole, Captain Phillips is superb, but the sound is some of the very best in terms of action thrillers. Great editing and mixing of the sounds, though it was closely contested with the war drama, Lone Survivor in which case the sounds alone made you feel like you were there with the SEALs and the honorable mention with The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug.

Best Production Design: The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug. Runner Up: Her. Honorable Mention: Behind The Candelabra.
The Desolation Of Smaug, like the other middle earth films features some amazing production value with lavish sets and intricate design (take Lake Town for an example) It was a tough to choose against Her which was shot in Shanghai, as it closely resembles what Los Angeles will look like in the future, where the film will take place. Honorable Mention goes to Soderbergh's Behind The Candelabra which brings to life with highly detailed sets of Liberace.

Best Visual Effects: The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug. Runner Up: Pacific Rim. Honorable Mention: Gravity.
I'm not a big fan of over using CGI, but while Pacific Rim had amazing visuals of Jaeger Robots and Kaiju Monsters, The Desolation Of Smaug has the upper hand with well... Smaug The Fire Breathing Dragon. Gravity gets the honorable mention as I feel the visual effects were definitely worth mentioning.

Best Film Editing: Christopher Rouse, Captain Phillips. Runner Up: Thelma Schoonmaker, The Wolf Of Wall Street. Honorable Mention: Douglas Crise, Spring Breakers.
Rouse's editing of fast cuts combined with the intensity of the cinematographer which further amps up the tension give Captain Phillips the edge. The Wolf Of Wall Street is the runner up, and well, when has a Scorsese film ever had BAD film editing? Douglas Crise's editing of Harmony Korine's Spring Breakers takes the honorable mention.

Best Cinematography: Roger Deakins, Prisoners. Runner Up: Benoit Debie, Spring Breakers. Honorable Mention: Larry Smith, Only God Forgives.
Roger Deakin's hauntingly beautiful camerwork for Prisoners is immediately felt from the first frame, and is some of the veteran cinematographer's best work yet. The runner up is Benoit Debie who's work on Harmony Korine's Spring Breakers is a visual feast for the eyes as is the honorable mention Only God Forgives which features cinematography akin to Spring Breakers with work by Larry Smith.