What If, there was no DB5

17 replies to this topic

#1 screamingmoonrock

screamingmoonrock

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

As per title, what if Sean Connery drove a Jaguar E-Type or a Jaguar MK2 3.8 in Goldfinger/Thunderball, would this be any less iconic? I have always pictured SC driving a MK2 3.8 more than a E-Type, in my eyes the Jaguar MK2 was better looking than the DB5 and elegantly sinister. Any thoughts?

#2 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:07 PM

I guess the Aston Martin DB5 largely became iconic because it caught the audience's imagination in GOLDFINGER and then reappeared in other movies as Bond's car of choice. If a Jaguar had been driven by Bond in the early movies and it appealed to the cinema-goers, then I see no reason why it couldn't have established a similar reputation.

#3 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

The E-type may be a little bit too 'loud' for Bond, almost a muscle car. It used to inspire penis comparisons for a reason. Not that Bond wouldn't like the car, far from. But I suspect it might be a bit too vulgar and on-the-nose for his tastes. Film Bond? Would drive whatever is decided for him. Result would be much the same, only Aston Martin would then likely have folded in the 70s and nobody would know them any more today.

The Jaguar MKII is a beauty but I somehow associate it more with the wheels of the villain, bit like a Mercedes.

#4 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:22 PM

A car I think Bond should have had (although it was released the year after Goldfinger so wouldn't have replaced the DB5) is the AC 428. British, stylish, massive American engine... it's right up Fleming's street:

Posted Image

Connery thought the DB5 was a 'lady's car'; that's a man's car. I'd say it's a fresher design than the DB5 too; I love the DB5 but it's really a 50's car.

#5 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:19 PM

I reckon the iconic status was as a result of both the car and the fact it had all the gadgets stuck in it.

So, to answer the question, if a Jag had the gadgets then I do believe we would be thinking of it in the same way as we do the AM.

#6 Mr. Arlington Beech

Mr. Arlington Beech

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:37 PM

As per title, what if Sean Connery drove a Jaguar E-Type or a Jaguar MK2 3.8 in Goldfinger/Thunderball, would this be any less iconic? I have always pictured SC driving a MK2 3.8 more than a E-Type, in my eyes the Jaguar MK2 was better looking than the DB5 and elegantly sinister. Any thoughts?

Yes, I have to admit that the Jaguar MK2 3.8 is a very Conneryesque car, but I'm not so sure if it's looks like a Bondish vehicle

A car I think Bond should have had (although it was released the year after Goldfinger so wouldn't have replaced the DB5) is the AC 428. British, stylish, massive American engine... it's right up Fleming's street:

Posted Image

I'd say it's a fresher design than the DB5 too; I love the DB5 but it's really a 50's car.

Yes, it's true the DB5 design is a little bit stucked on the 50's particularly the rear end of the car.

#7 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:10 AM

Honestly (and I say this as a huge Jaguar enthusiast), I don't think the Jaguar would have reached the Bond iconic status of the Aston Martin. Why? Because the production was higher and many more people owned them. Seeing an Aston Martin is a rare thing and when most people see them they associate Bond. There are many more Jaguars on the road than there are Aston Martins.

#8 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:11 AM

Good point.

#9 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:29 AM

Honestly (and I say this as a huge Jaguar enthusiast), I don't think the Jaguar would have reached the Bond iconic status of the Aston Martin. Why? Because the production was higher and many more people owned them. Seeing an Aston Martin is a rare thing and when most people see them they associate Bond. There are many more Jaguars on the road than there are Aston Martins.

I think it was about half the price of a DB5, wasn't it? And faster.
I'm sure I've read that Jaguar refused to supply an E-Type too.

#10 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:59 AM

I agree with Vauxhall.

#11 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:29 AM

I think it was about half the price of a DB5, wasn't it? And faster.
I'm sure I've read that Jaguar refused to supply an E-Type too.

It is the TV show The Saint that you are thinking of. Since Bond drove and Aston Martin in the book GF, that is what the producers went after. As far as I know, an E-type was never an option.

#12 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

Not according to Evo magazine. Empire magazine too.
They may be wrong, of course. I don't have my copy of Most Famous Car in the World with me.

In fact, search for 'E-Type Goldfinger' and you'll find that story all over the place; so, no: it's not The Saint I'm thinking of.

Although oddly Bond's DB5 did make an appearance on The Saint before fiding fame in Goldfinger, 'BMT' numberplate and all!

#13 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

I concur that the E-type Jag story was related to the Saint. Which was why Jaguar didn't make the same mistake again come Return of the Saint when they offered the XJS.

However, I don't know about the Jag story relating to Goldfinger. There is nothing I could see in the Most Famous Car in the World book. Aston did refuse to lend them an AM, so thoughts did veer towards Bentley and a Chevy(!), but they always wanted the AM. And they got it.

#14 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:08 AM

Yep, I'm not convinced it's true; but it is all over the place as I linked above so I wasn't wrong to think I'd read it about Goldfinger.

Some say the E-Type story for The Saint is actually erroneous: Roger wanted a Mk X, and although Jaguar were happy to supply it, they couldn't do it in time.

As a sidenote; I watched the slightly rubbish Tower Heist a few weeks ago: there's an amazing replica of a Ferrari 250 GT Lusso in that, which was apparently made from a Volvo P1800. It's an incredible bit of work.

#15 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:28 PM

Curious that Jaguar were happy to supply that which they couldn't supply, but didn't want to supply something that (we are, over time, lead to believe) they could supply.

I must admit to not knowing or having forgotten the Mk X story.

#16 delfloria

delfloria

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:05 PM

Bond's Bentley? The books or even FRWL.

#17 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:34 PM

Curious that Jaguar were happy to supply that which they couldn't supply, but didn't want to supply something that (we are, over time, lead to believe) they could supply.

Not really: it's the same thing. They'd give them a car but they'd have to go on the waiting list.

#18 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:42 AM

Ah, ok.