4 replies to this topic

#1 Von Hammerstein

Von Hammerstein

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:01 PM

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere, I can't seem to find the search function. That's what happens when you're only computer semi-literate. Anyway, in 1967 during the spy craze there was this movie A Man Called Dagger, the poster for the film is slick and looks like maybe McGinnis did it, or Smolen, it's in that same Bond style. Paul Mantee plays the lead and Richard Kiel plays the big bad's henchman Otto, however the film is almost completely awful. It involves a Nazi war criminal kidnapping all the wrold's leaders, brainwashing them, then controlling them via radio sets imbedded in their teeth. Yeah, it's as bad as it sounds. But even worse Mantee's character is named Dick Dagger. He might as well have been Dirk Diggler.
Bright spot is the soundtrack score by Steve Allen, yeah, the comedian, Steve Allen. Little known that he was a classically trained concert pianist. That's him by the way on the Man Called Dagger insrumental version. The music is just great 1960's spy fare fun. And for the longest time was not available on CD.
I had the LP when I was kid and probably wore the grooves out listening to it. Anyway availabe on iTunes and Rhapsody is not only the original LP but the expanded score. Best tracks are "The Swinging Dagger Theme" and Maureen Arthur's title song A Man Called Dagger. Some of tracks have flute work very similar to that in LALD, or the other way round as Dagger came first. There are also spots that sound like George Clinton's Austin Power's stuff. I've been listening to this since I downloaded yesterday, and it's like I got a piece of my childhood back. Don't go out of your way to see the film, but for any 60's spy craze fan, the score should not be missed!

Edited by Von Hammerstein, 05 April 2012 - 08:13 PM.

#2 Brisco

Brisco

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:54 AM

Wow! Thanks for sharing, Von Hammerstein! I actually enjoy that movie more than most people and, honestly, that's still not much (you can read my review of it here), but you're right: the score is undeniably great spy listening. So I'm thrilled to know it's available in an expanded digital version! I'm going to download it from Amazon right now. Thanks again!

#3 larrythefatcat

larrythefatcat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 327 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

It's cool that the music's available... but when is this going to see a DVD release!? I would love to see it!

#4 Brisco

Brisco

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

It's cool that the music's available... but when is this going to see a DVD release!? I would love to see it!

Hm, I suppose it's possible it might turn up on MGM's "Limited Edition" MOD program. They've been releasing some good spyish obscurities, and there might actually be some interest in this title due to director Richard Rush. However, it's been easy to guess most of their MOD spy releases so far (like Kill A Dragon, Mrs. Pollifax - Spy, The House on Garibaldi Street, etc.) based on their availability on Netflix Streaming. The fact that Man Called Dagger isn't streaming makes me wonder if there might be a rights issue with it, and it's no longer in the MGM library? At any rate, as much as I, like you, would like to see it get some sort of official DVD release, there are much better Sixties spy movies that remain unreleased that I'd rather see on DVD first...

#5 Von Hammerstein

Von Hammerstein

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

Wow! Thanks for sharing, Von Hammerstein! I actually enjoy that movie more than most people and, honestly, that's still not much (you can read my review of it here), but you're right: the score is undeniably great spy listening. So I'm thrilled to know it's available in an expanded digital version! I'm going to download it from Amazon right now. Thanks again!

No problem my friend. Glad to spread the joy amongst true 60's spy connoisseurs.

Love the Double O Section by the way, I have it bookmarked. Keep up the good work!

Von