This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Soundtrack reissues coming for 50th anniversary?

21 replies to this topic

#1 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:20 PM

Any news about possible soundtrack reissues for the 50th anniversary this year?
Is licensure the same for all the soundtracks?

I have really been enjoying picking up the Star Trek soundtrack reissues! They are so well done!
I see that there are some familar names doing the work on the Trek scores that also worked on the Bond scores from 2003. Lukas Kendall and Jeff Bond.

#2 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:01 PM

I was hoping for the usual suspects of soundtrack labels to re-release the scores through the year. But until now - nope, nothing.

Maybe we will get a box set close to the release of SKYFALL.

To have a golden Bond anniversary and NOT get the scores re-released would be a major offense. To me.

#3 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

I was hoping for the usual suspects of soundtrack labels to re-release the scores through the year. But until now - nope, nothing.

Maybe we will get a box set close to the release of SKYFALL.

To have a golden Bond anniversary and NOT get the scores re-released would be a major offense. To me.

I agree. Hopefully it happens. It would probably make sense for a small label to handle the work this time. Intrada or someone like that.

I really think it's time to get the full scores for The Man With The Golden Gun, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, Octopussy, A View To A Kill and License To Kill.

Hopefully instead of hearing that the lie that "can't find the tapes or masters", they actually look for them and get it done!

#4 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

Agreed. They could also take the time to re record all the music, if they actually can't find the masters. Not everyday a movie franchise celebrates 50 years.

#5 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:01 AM

Agreed. They could also take the time to re record all the music, if they actually can't find the masters. Not everyday a movie franchise celebrates 50 years.

The masters are out there. They just need to bother to look for them, instead of saying they can't find them.

Sometimes it's just easier to say you can't find something than to have to field the question of why you didn't do the job right.

Hopefully there is some confirmed news on the Bond soundtracks soon. I would be fine if a label like Intrada took over distribution. They do an amazing job with soundtrack resissues.

#6 Bond... Raybond

Bond... Raybond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:47 PM

Other than the fact that this year is the the 50th anniversary of the Bond films the only other 'evidence' (or straw clutching hopes) that we have is a comment by one Douglas Fake of Intrada Records who has stated (back in January), regarding 2012 soundtrack releases, that "In fact, projects with virtually every major studio are now under way... including a milestone new series with one of them. Look for classic recordings you thought you'd never see available. More details on that soon!" (my underlining). Lots of folks over at Film Score Monthly's forum have taken milestone to mean anniversary.

Like everyone else I hope that this is indeed a cryptic reference to new Bond soundtrack expansions later this year. One can only wait and hope... oh, and save, lots & lots of pennies :D (just in case).

#7 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:07 AM

A box set of complete soundtracks would be a very attractive offer. Hope springs eternal.

#8 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:59 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed the previous re-issues. It would be nice to think the soundtracks that were re-issued but weren't expanded could be. Whether they will be is anybody's guess. I hope they are though. It would fit in well with the 50th anniversary, and remind the public of the great contribution made by the film composers in general and the late John Barry in particular.

I have another suggestion - why not a double CD, one disc with the official themes, and the second with the "rejected" versions? Dionne Warwick's "Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" appeared on the 30th anniversary album and Julie Rogers' totally different version of "You Only Live Twice" was on the "Special Edition" double CD, but most of us know that other attempts at Bond themes were made and for some reason not taken up.

If it was produced, I'd buy it, out of curiosity.

#9 larrythefatcat

larrythefatcat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 327 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed the previous re-issues. It would be nice to think the soundtracks that were re-issued but weren't expanded could be. Whether they will be is anybody's guess. I hope they are though. It would fit in well with the 50th anniversary, and remind the public of the great contribution made by the film composers in general and the late John Barry in particular.

I have another suggestion - why not a double CD, one disc with the official themes, and the second with the "rejected" versions? Dionne Warwick's "Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" appeared on the 30th anniversary album and Julie Rogers' totally different version of "You Only Live Twice" was on the "Special Edition" double CD, but most of us know that other attempts at Bond themes were made and for some reason not taken up.

If it was produced, I'd buy it, out of curiosity.

There certainly are enough alternate theme songs by artists like Johnny Cash, Pulp, Alice Cooper, Pet Shop Boys, Ace of Base, Blondie, Eric Clapton and a few others. Most of those songs are on the artists' albums in some form, but it would be cool to have an official compilation... however unlikely that may be.

Edited by larrythefatcat, 04 April 2012 - 10:18 AM.

#10 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:50 PM

A complete The Spy Who Loved Me remastered is one of the very very few film score wet dreams I still have.

#11 Hector Pelon

Hector Pelon

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:24 AM

A complete The Spy Who Loved Me remastered is one of the very very few film score wet dreams I still have.

Agreed, I was mortally offended when I bought the soundtrack to TSWLM. They turned the [censored]ing score into elevator music!

#12 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

Other than the fact that this year is the the 50th anniversary of the Bond films the only other 'evidence' (or straw clutching hopes) that we have is a comment by one Douglas Fake of Intrada Records who has stated (back in January), regarding 2012 soundtrack releases, that "In fact, projects with virtually every major studio are now under way... including a milestone new series with one of them. Look for classic recordings you thought you'd never see available. More details on that soon!" (my underlining). Lots of folks over at Film Score Monthly's forum have taken milestone to mean anniversary.

Like everyone else I hope that this is indeed a cryptic reference to new Bond soundtrack expansions later this year. One can only wait and hope... oh, and save, lots & lots of pennies :D (just in case).

Thanks for the news tip and reminder! I hope FSM is putting the soundtracks together for the Bond films. Hopefully this is the case. We will have to wait and see what the year holds.

I would most likely re-purchase every one of the James Bond titles if FSM releases them.

#13 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:17 PM

Would love to see the Bond scores given this kind of treatment..

http://trekmovie.com...comment-4816221

The comparison bar has just been raised very high!!!

#14 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:22 PM

Same here!

#15 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

Same here!

Yes. As well as most of the Roger Moore Bond scores expanded... Golden Gun, Spy, Moonraker, Octopussy and A View to A Kill.

Huge hole in the expanded soundtrack lineup.

Maybe Intrada, FSM or La La Land will pick up the Bond scores for reissue. They've done outstanding work with the Star Trek soundtrack reissues.
I'd love to see the Bond scores get the same care and treatment!!!

#16 YoYoBoy19

YoYoBoy19

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:54 AM

There's about three or four scores I'm dying to get expansions of. GoldenEye, Moonraker, A View to A Kill, and Octopussy, all in that order. So much amazing stuff left off all those albums. A View to A Kill was so great, and about Moonraker, I'm confused as to why they would leave one of the best reinditions of the Bond theme (freefall music) off the album. I hope the masters for Moonraker can be found.

#17 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:15 PM

There's about three or four scores I'm dying to get expansions of. GoldenEye, Moonraker, A View to A Kill, and Octopussy, all in that order. So much amazing stuff left off all those albums. A View to A Kill was so great, and about Moonraker, I'm confused as to why they would leave one of the best reinditions of the Bond theme (freefall music) off the album. I hope the masters for Moonraker can be found.

Found? Don't you mean that they bother to look for them? They have to look for them first before the write them off as "lost". : )
From my understanding, many of the "lost" James Bond scores were never really looked for to begin with.

Let's go MGM and EMI. Get with it. Farm it out to some of the smaller labels if you need to.

#18 chriso

chriso

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:55 PM

As much as I wish that this come true I think that there will be just another Bond theme song compilation.

But the idea of a box set including all scores or some parts of them sounds great!

#19 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:48 PM

Perhaps this time they will compile the extended CD in the same order of the tracks as they appears in the movie, and not the half assed LP tracklist first, and the bonus tracks later, like they stupidly did the last time round. It's hell putting it back together in the right order in iTunes.

#20 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:56 PM

Perhaps this time they will compile the extended CD in the same order of the tracks as they appears in the movie, and not the half assed LP tracklist first, and the bonus tracks later, like they stupidly did the last time round. It's hell putting it back together in the right order in iTunes.

I believe they had to be done this way for legal reasons. I'm sure someone can recall the details of it much better than I do.
It made sense to me at the time when I remember reading the reason for it.
I was just so happy to have them expanded and remastered.
EMI really wasn't thinking in terms of what they charged for the scores. They issued them as budget titles.

#21 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:58 PM

Oh, yes...

#22 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:36 PM

Oh, yes...

I'm a huge fan of the Star Trek The Motion Picture score. I'll be picking it up day one for sure!

Hopefully we can get some James Bond soundtrack reissues soon. Not expecting this level of detail for them, however they at the very least should do the Roger Moore Bond film soundtracks properly. Maybe a 2 disc set for Spy to include album version and soundtrack version of the score.

The wait continues..

I'm hoping it will be a surprise like the Star Trek TMP score is though!