Came across this on, ahem, another Bond site. Enjoy

#2 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:10 PM

Oh, but that's so fake! The CGI work is terrible! Lee Tamahori is the worst director in the world...!

Let's see...it took 30 years to develop a submarine car (albeit a free-flooding convertible) and only10 years to adapt video camoflage to an SUV (albeit less than perfectly). Yet most people still like TSWLM and its amphibious Lotus more than DAD and its 'ridiculous' Aston Martin. Personally, I like both.

Time to go back to sneering at hollowed-out volcanoes....

Edited by AMC Hornet, 09 March 2012 - 11:39 PM.

#3 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:58 PM

I'm not convinced that video hasn't been tweaked a bit: I'm not sure the colours would match that well.

#4 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:23 AM

Cool, but part of the problem with DAD wasn't the technology -- it was the implementation. The camouflaged car was presented as if it came out of a comic book, not as real technology.

#5 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:35 AM

I accept that, and I realized even as I watched DAD for the first time that the effect was too perfect. Like the Mercedes in the video, looking at the Aston Martin from an angle should have been like looking into the corner of a fishtank. And, as demonstrated by the children standing close to the M-B SUV, objects in the foreground would appear larger than those in the background (what must Bond have looked like, using the car as 'cover'?).

Still, as I have stated in other threads, I prefer to like Bond movies rather than hate them, so I'm willing to forgive almost anything (CR '67, AVTAK and half of MR excepted).

Still, take heart - from the way Skyfall is following CR and QoS, I expect it will be a while yet before Craig's Bond goes too far 'over the top.'

I'm guessing B25 at the earliest.

(P.S.: Are you suggesting that the Lotus dry sub didn't look like something out of a comic book?)

Edited by AMC Hornet, 05 March 2012 - 06:39 AM.

#6 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:20 AM

(P.S.: Are you suggesting that the Lotus dry sub didn't look like something out of a comic book?)

No, but I am suggesting that they should have had a higher standard for realism than a Roger Moore flick.

#7 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:35 AM

No, but I am suggesting that they should have had a higher standard for realism than a Roger Moore flick.

...In a film with two Koreans genetically engineered to resemble Germans, one being knighted only a year after emigrating from Argentina, a space laser put in orbit in less time than that, and a pinkie ring that can shatter armoured glass?

Actually, I do get your point - all of DAD was like something from a Roger Moore flick.

Perhaps that's why I like it so much, and won't hear a word said against it (except for that wonky parasurfing CGI, of course).

#8 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

I accept that, and I realized even as I watched DAD for the first time that the effect was too perfect. Like the Mercedes in the video, looking at the Aston Martin from an angle should have been like looking into the corner of a fishtank. And, as demonstrated by the children standing close to the M-B SUV, objects in the foreground would appear larger than those in the background (what must Bond have looked like, using the car as 'cover'?).

And also; the concept of cameras projecting what's on the other side only works if you know where the viewer is. It would work against a wall, but it's shown to work out in the open to everyone looking at it.

#9 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

All the above considered, the most UNBELIEVEBLE aspect of the entire film is still Miranda Frost's sudden willingness to sleep with OO7 after 60 minutes of downright loathing him. (Hmmm... let's pretend that we're lovers by actually sleeping together... YEAH that'll work. That'll convince 'em.)

#10 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:08 PM

All the above considered, the most UNBELIEVEBLE aspect of the entire film is still Miranda Frost's sudden willingness to sleep with OO7 after 60 minutes of downright loathing him. (Hmmm... let's pretend that we're lovers by actually sleeping together... YEAH that'll work. That'll convince 'em.)

This is HIGHLY believable. Never heard of angry drama sex? Miranda had daddy issues, anyway.

#11 Wade

Wade

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

This is HIGHLY believable. Never heard of angry drama sex? Miranda had daddy issues, anyway.

What was the line from "The War of the Roses"? Woman seeking divorce: "Do you like angry sex?" Her lawyer: "Is there any other kind?"

#12 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:48 AM

In defence of the scene, Bond made no secret he wanted Frost. She knew this. “Can I expect the pleasure of you in Iceland?” And ala Pussy Galore in Fleming’s Goldfinger, Bond would’ve seen it as a challenge. When the chance, er, arose, even if it was out of character, he wasn’t going to turn it down. This gave double agent Frost the chance to tamper with the P99 firing pin.

#13 mrevans

mrevans

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:50 AM

In defence of the scene, Bond made no secret he wanted Frost. She knew this. “Can I expect the pleasure of you in Iceland?” And ala Pussy Galore in Fleming’s Goldfinger, Bond would’ve seen it as a challenge. When the chance, er, arose, even if it was out of character, he wasn’t going to turn it down. This gave double agent Frost the chance to tamper with the P99 firing pin.

True but I kind of think Bond, as experienced in seduction as he is, would be able to see when a woman is using him. In the past he's been able to recognize this and just use the opportunity to enjoy himself. Ex: Dr.No with Ms. Taro. FRWL with Tania. TB with Fiona. DAF with tifany case. LALD with Rosey. AVTAK with Mayday. It seemed so obvious by the stone faced and odd way Frost told him "I knew this would happen" that she is sharply and conviently changing her tone. But it is beleiveable he had a moment of weakness. Wouldn't be the first time :)

#14 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:54 AM

But how did she remove the firing pin from a handgun under a 00-agent's pillow without him noticing.... THAT is a question.

#15 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:21 AM

Who says she removed the firing pin from Bond's gun? Among the information she supplied to Graves, she would have known that Bond carries a Walther P99. It would be a simple matter for Graves to provide her with a duplicate pistol, already doctored (she might even have had a backup PPK, just in case). It was probably his P99 that she had when she joined the face-off and revealed herself as a co-conspirator.

The whole point of Miranda's sleeping with Bond was so that she could disarm him before he had any confrontation with Graves. The real question is, where did the doctored gun come from? It had to have been already placed in the room, as Miranda certainly didn't have it under her dress when she arrived.

#16 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:32 AM

She coulda just killed him.

#17 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:12 AM

She coulda just killed him.

But what a way to go!

I'm reminded of MAD Magaizine's saitire, The Spy Who Glubbed Me, wherein Anya threatens Bond at the end, then relents, saying "I don't want to kill you, I want to marry you!"

Bond:' Ah, the slow death, eh?'