35 replies to this topic

#31 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:55 PM

The conversion to 3D requires access to certain resources that simply aren't there relative to the Bond franchise; that is, you can convert Titanic because it is a comparatively recent product and the raw 70mm stock is there along with all the FX files* but you can't convert, say, The Wizard of Oz because all that exists are answer prints. I doubt there's enough material available to convert anything prior to GE (certainly nothing prior to DAF, what with EON maintaining that all outtakes, etc. up to that point were destroyed) and converting only part of the library would seem a little awkward from a marketing standpoint. I agree, though, that future Bonds will almost certainly be in 3D based solely on the rationale of box office revenue.

In today's digital world, you can post convert anything to 3D. Principal photography for Star Wars Episode IV started in 1976 & it will be released in 3D.

Now, whether you should convert it or if it will be good are entirely different questions. The 3D version of The Phantom Menace had two scenes that looked really good: the pod race & the duel of the fates battle. The rest of the scenes had a more of a depth to them that the original doesn't. Nothing near the quality of Avatar & nothing that would make me buy a Blu-ray version of it.

#32 larrythefatcat

larrythefatcat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 327 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

The conversion to 3D requires access to certain resources that simply aren't there relative to the Bond franchise; that is, you can convert Titanic because it is a comparatively recent product and the raw 70mm stock is there along with all the FX files* but you can't convert, say, The Wizard of Oz because all that exists are answer prints. I doubt there's enough material available to convert anything prior to GE (certainly nothing prior to DAF, what with EON maintaining that all outtakes, etc. up to that point were destroyed) and converting only part of the library would seem a little awkward from a marketing standpoint. I agree, though, that future Bonds will almost certainly be in 3D based solely on the rationale of box office revenue.

Much of this is true relative to IMAX as well: you have to have ultra high-resolution negatives (or, given the move to digital, files) as a base or you're just taking a standard film and enlarging way past the level it was meant to tolerate.

*Done correctly, CGI sequences represent a monumental 3D challenge, not simply doubling the computing time (which can be overnight for a few frames) but requiring considerable work to layer elements and separate components like smoke, fire, etc.

I don't know where you're getting your supposed "information" but most 3D conversions are done entirely with a scan of a high quality film print or negative as their basis and nothing more is required.

The basic process involves the original image(s) being manipulated by digital artists to essentially "photoshop" a second image that emulates the perspective of a view from a slightly different angle from the originally composed shot in the film in order to create the effect of the view from a second "eye". The initial image first has several layers manufactured through painstakingly cropping the exact edges of the desired objects in-frame. The items that are being made into different layers of the 3D image are then "completed" by essentially copying/pasting them from earlier or later frames in the shot (or completely manufacturing them in the case that there is insufficient picture information in previous or latter film frames) to make them look as though they were naturally viewed from the previously mentioned "slightly different angle". The basic result, if the image is not properly processed, would look somewhat like a "pop-up" book with certain items looking as though they are flat pieces of paper in front of other pieces of paper.

If the process is completed correctly, the "pop-up" book effect diminshes though the use of slightly maniuplating particular objects within the frame to make them look as though they were truly viewed from the "second eye" of the 3D viewer.

This may have not been the BEST explanation of how 3D conversion is done, but it should give a very basic understanding and most certainly does not require anything more, at minimum, than a film print in good condition... the Star Wars films certainly don't have anything more than that. Episode I was recently given a new scan of the original negatives, but Episodes II and III only have 1080p video as their highest-quality source (and I highly doubt the original CG is going to be re-rendered for any of the 3D shots) so those films will end up as proof that an incredibly high quality source isn't necessary for a mainstream 3D conversion job... or it will fail miserably quality-wise and prove that you do need higher than 1080p as a source. Also, unless a new film scan is done, the original Star Wars trilogy won't look very good either: they were scanned in at 2K (which is only very slightly higher quality than 1080p).

If anything, the 9 fully Lowry-restored Bond films (DN-LALD + Moonraker) would most likely look better after a 3D conversion than any of the Brosnan-era films due to the incredibly high quality of the scans (4K vs 2K) and the generally pristine look of those restorations.

As for IMAX, you may get slightly higher quality, but (since it's just based off of a 35 mm negative) you're not going to get more detail than the original filmed "resolution"... it's just going to be on a bigger screen. I don't know if the IMAX presentations are going to be digital or film prints (maybe either one depending upon location) but the only plus of IMAX, apart from the bigger screen, is the fact that it's more likely you'll see a 4K projector in an IMAX theater than you would in a regular digital cinema. If there are any other benefits to IMAX, I would definitely like to know of them... I just don't really see the point atm.

Edited by larrythefatcat, 03 March 2012 - 08:40 PM.

#33 cliff60

cliff60

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:39 PM

Ive seen all the bond films in 3D. Some bits r better but in general its not much diff from watching in 2D. My TV can convert any 2D film or TV program into 3D. So can my BD player. I just hit a button on my remote. Put on my glasses and i got 3D. The quality of 3D films depends on what format they use. If its real 3D (also known as fake 3D) then it will be rubbish as its not real 3D at all but 2D converted to 3D. They just use software to convert bits of the film to 3D so ur having to take off the glasses and put them back on to match the scene. Films made using a 3D cam do look really good though. Transformers darkside of the moon is great in 3D. But Harry Potter and the deathly hallow is crap in 3D. The best format for 3D is SBS or side by side. They use 2 cams mounted side by side to give more depth. But that only works with active shutter glasses. Then there is anogliph. Thats rubbish as the colour gets distorted due to having red and blue lenses to look through. The only problem with 3D is that the glasses r tinted so u get a darker than normal picture. 3D isnt new as its been around since the 50's. Its just been improved over the years. Now with active shutters its a lot better. But it can be dangerous for some ppl. It can cause black outs or fits cause of the shutters opening and closing thousands of times a min. I watched all 6 star wars films in 3D one after the other without a break and felt fine after. I cheated though. I coppied all 6 films onto my PC and then burned them all onto 1 DVD so i didnt have to keep changing the disk lol. I didnt even have to touch my remote as each film started playing as the prevoius one finished. 1 DVD disk can hold 6 films with no problems. 1 blu ray disk can hold nearly all the bond films. depending on the disk size. The biggest blu ray disk might be able to have all the bond films on it. Most films r less than 1GB in size. A blu ray disk can go upto 100GB. All the bond films upto quantum of solace is only 70GB in size combined. So they should all fit on 1 of the large disks. but they will probably but 1 film per disk so they can charge a lot more.

#34 larrythefatcat

larrythefatcat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 327 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:17 AM

Ive seen all the bond films in 3D. Some bits r better but in general its not much diff from watching in 2D. My TV can convert any 2D film or TV program into 3D. So can my BD player. I just hit a button on my remote. Put on my glasses and i got 3D. The quality of 3D films depends on what format they use. If its real 3D (also known as fake 3D) then it will be rubbish as its not real 3D at all but 2D converted to 3D. They just use software to convert bits of the film to 3D so ur having to take off the glasses and put them back on to match the scene. Films made using a 3D cam do look really good though. Transformers darkside of the moon is great in 3D. But Harry Potter and the deathly hallow is crap in 3D. The best format for 3D is SBS or side by side. They use 2 cams mounted side by side to give more depth. But that only works with active shutter glasses. Then there is anogliph. Thats rubbish as the colour gets distorted due to having red and blue lenses to look through. The only problem with 3D is that the glasses r tinted so u get a darker than normal picture. 3D isnt new as its been around since the 50's. Its just been improved over the years. Now with active shutters its a lot better. But it can be dangerous for some ppl. It can cause black outs or fits cause of the shutters opening and closing thousands of times a min. I watched all 6 star wars films in 3D one after the other without a break and felt fine after. I cheated though. I coppied all 6 films onto my PC and then burned them all onto 1 DVD so i didnt have to keep changing the disk lol. I didnt even have to touch my remote as each film started playing as the prevoius one finished. 1 DVD disk can hold 6 films with no problems. 1 blu ray disk can hold nearly all the bond films. depending on the disk size. The biggest blu ray disk might be able to have all the bond films on it. Most films r less than 1GB in size. A blu ray disk can go upto 100GB. All the bond films upto quantum of solace is only 70GB in size combined. So they should all fit on 1 of the large disks. but they will probably but 1 film per disk so they can charge a lot more.

There's so much misinformation in this post that I don't even know where to start... I might eventually go through this and correct it point by point, but I'm slightly intoxicated and there's WAAAAY too much to fix.

#35 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

Ive seen all the bond films in 3D. Some bits r better but in general its not much diff from watching in 2D.

And how does Denise Richards look in 3D?

#36 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:37 PM

I sincerely hope that this current 3D craze would die out as soon as possible. None of the recent 3D blockbusters were profoundly good films. It's just a gimmick and a headache-inducing as that.