507 replies to this topic

#481 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:42 PM

I never noticed Bond holding the keys before. Presumably for the crypt but there are 2 keys. 2 keys!
Posted Image

#482 Scamp

Scamp

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 266 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

This is the front door to the house isn't it?

#483 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

I never noticed Bond holding the keys before. Presumably for the crypt but there are 2 keys. 2 keys!

He probably had a dupe made for M.

#484 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

Possibly the first picture we've had of the priest hole?

Posted Image

#485 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

It is to me. Great post, thanks.

#486 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

I do have a picture of it but have been holding off posting it as it seemed a bit spoilery.

#487 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

You can always post it within spoiler tags.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

#488 Luigi Ferrari

Luigi Ferrari

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

http://www.007.info/News262.asp

Sets Cleared at Hankley Common

After two weeks of main unit filming for 'Skyfall' at Hankley Common, near Elstead in Surrey, culminating in a large explosion and fire at Skyfall Lodge on the evening of March 25, work quickly began on the process of dismantling the large sets at the site.

The Hankley Common filming had involved the construction of a main Scottish lodge-house (doubling-up as the Bond ancestral home), with an outbuilding and false trees. This was built in the bowl of the valley of the Common, together with a Bond family chapel and small graveyard located further across the valley. A stone-walled gate-entrance was also constructed at the top of the valley (with a small statue of a stag on one of the gate-posts), where a track leads down into the valley towards the lodge area. It was here that the main unit filming commenced on Tuesday March 13, with Daniel Craig and Judi Dench.

After plenty of action involving small-arms fire and a helicopter over the next few days, a fire was staged on the evening of March 22 in the main mansion-style lodge-house, and then a major explosion and fire was mounted on the evening of March 25, which proved to be the climax to the Hankley Common filming. However, despite claims in the national press, the lodge-house was not completely destroyed by this. The Special Effects experts had worked their magic and skilfully planned their pyrotechnics merely to create the illusion that it was thoroughly wrecked.

Nevertheless, the scene that faced onlookers after the main shooting had ended was of a lodge with a large hole in its side, with heavily-singed windows and the immediate area surrounding the lodge looking like something out of a war zone. The ground looked suitably scorched and was littered with bits of burnt wood, (false) bits of scattered stonework, and other post-fire debris, including the shell of a burnt-out Aston Martin (which was eventually wrapped in a tarpaulin sheet before removal). A very strong and pungent smell of smoke hung in the air around the lodge for at least three days afterwards.

The pyrotechnics experts began the task of retrieving their equipment and cables from within the main building, and a worker at the site on March 28 told the JBIFC that the process of dismantling and fully clearing the lodge-house site would take about two weeks. EON will also return the heathland on the Common 'to its original condition' i.e. to as good as when they found it.

Meanwhile, across the valley, a 3-man team also began work on dismantling the chapel set on Wednesday March 28; it was surrounded by a high metal-grilled fence and a small digger started the clearance process by breaking up the small graveyard area (the headstones had already been removed, apart from two still propped up against the side of the chapel wall). By Friday March 30 the chapel had been been reduced to a metal frame, while a small army of workers had moved onto the main lodge-house site and started the dismantling process in earnest.

The JBIFC understands the film-makers are pleased with how the Hankley Common shooting for 'Skyfall' went overall. The original plan had been to use the sets for filming up to March 30, but in the end this was not necessary.

#489 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

http://www.007.info/News262.asp

Sets Cleared at Hankley Common
The original plan had been to use the sets for filming up to March 30, but in the end this was not necessary.

A very good idea to cut the filming of the climax by 5 days – a few afternoons and a couple of nights was quite long enough. This gives much more time to concentrate on filming Judi Dench sitting in the back of a Jag as is right and proper on a film like this.

#490 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

Are they retiring the Austin Martin DB5?

#491 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

Are they retiring the Austin Martin DB5?

It's going to be blown to smithereens!

#492 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:23 PM

='Kamran_Shah' timestamp='1333560563' post='1192846']

:-)) Just hoping they will soon depart for Turkey to get at least some exotic location shots. I am not overwhelmed by what I have seen so far...

I have been thinking the same thing. The only location that has me jazz so far is London. I really hope I'm wrong.

#493 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

I believe London is only a smaller part of the film. We just think it's so apparent because that's where most of the publicity has been coming from.

#494 Luigi Ferrari

Luigi Ferrari

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

Hankley Common is back to the quiet. An interesting set of photos showing the site before and after filming ... and one more hint.
http://theforagingph....wordpress.com/
@TheForagingPhotographer: Thank you once again for your report.

#495 dirtymind

dirtymind

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

Hankley Common is back to the quiet. An interesting set of photos showing the site before and after filming ... and one more hint.
http://theforagingph....wordpress.com/
@TheForagingPhotographer: Thank you once again for your report.

There's a photo with one fake tree next to the barn. Why all the trouble for a fake tree with no leaves? Maybe it's symbolic?

#496 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

I think it's because they had to copy the real building, which had a leafless tree outside.

#497 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:33 PM

I think it's because they had to copy the real building, which had a leafless tree outside.

What real building?

#498 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

I may be mistaken, probably am, but wasn't there an actual building in Scotland that they filmed part of the scenes at? I thought they recreated said building in Surrey to blow it up.

#499 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

I may be mistaken, probably am, but wasn't there an actual building in Scotland that they filmed part of the scenes at? I thought they recreated said building in Surrey to blow it up.

No, there was a photo of a large house in Scotland (which I believe they were using as a base) but other than that, it was nothing like Skyfall lodge, which is a complete invention of the film makers

#500 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

ah, I was - as expected - mistaken.

#501 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

So what are people's guesses as to the flattened bit of land Lucy alludes to as being of interest?

Have we sorted that one in posts past?

#502 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

My guess is that it was the burned-out DB5.

#503 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

Thought she said it was a building.

Near the lodge (you can see its orientation to the lodge in the second picture) was a structure that had been kept very well hidden during filming....

#504 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

The entrance to that underground tunnel, perhaps?

#505 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:26 PM

..but she again said that it would be interesting to Bond fans, not just fans of a good twist in a storyline.

Which to me says 1) Lucy is aware of some Bond lore and 2) we'd be interested because of its place in Bond history.

Perhaps...

#506 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:04 PM

Yeah, but by Bond fans, she probably just means us.

MTM and Vauxhall were both there, though. Maybe they'll have a better idea about what it is?

#507 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:36 AM

I think it must be the patch of ground where the Aston Martin was burnt out. Although in terms of perspective it looks slightly further away from the gatehouse than I was expecting. It doesn't really look like the same area as the priest hole though.

#508 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:01 AM

I think it must be the staircase, no? Not sure the Aston would count as a 'structure'.

Can't really get an idea of where it was from that with the house gone (!) but it was on the chapel side of the house which is where she's taken the next photo of the destroyed house 'from the direction of the mystery structure'. Not sure why she says it was hidden, though.

Lovely landscape shot looking over the trees below.