6 replies to this topic

#1 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:12 AM

Odd one this and wondered if anyone out there can shed the light.

I picked up a paperback copy of OHMSS at a second hand book stall on the South Bank. The cover is clearly a film tie in (black with girls in bikinis and a photoshot of Lazenby) and there are movie stills on the inside cover, however it was only when I got it home that I noticed the printed pages are from the 1965 Pan edition: the old 007 logo is being used, the print run is only up to number 5, the list of Fleming novels includes none of YOLT, TMWTGG or OP, it even states "Eon Films have now made the third James Bond film from this title" (meaning Goldfinger obviously.) Is this a standard pressing for the OHMSS tie in or have I stumbled on some curious hybrid?
Help!

#2 Krest

Krest

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:54 PM

Odd! could be that Pan used existing stocks they had and just added new covers. Curious...

#3 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:02 AM

Odd! could be that Pan used existing stocks they had and just added new covers. Curious...

My thought exactly! If so it does seem a remarkably cheap way to tie in.

#4 dogmanstar

dogmanstar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

I have a copy with that cover--I'll have to go check out the rest.

#5 dogmanstar

dogmanstar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:58 PM

I have the same cover by the description--only in the Signet New American Library edition. There are no photos inside nor mention of any other Fleming titles to order from Signet--only Ken Follett, Jack Higgins, Truman Capote.

#6 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:55 PM

So I just quickly checked a copy I had on a shelf (I think I have 3 or 4 versions of this pan cover) and it had Thunderball as the listed film being made; so seems like PAN just used up all their older printings and stuck new covers on!

#7 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:47 AM

Looking back at zencat's "US movie tie ins" thread it's interesting to see the covers of the two issues are similar but not entirely the same... in the US editon there is more blurb above the title, Lazenby's pic does not have his gun and one of the girls is positioned more prominently to the centre.
I was stuck suddenly by the vague similarity to Hendrix's "Electric Ladylady" cover (the one he hated - with all the naked women lounging around an LP cover featuring his face - thought it was kinda cool myself, but hey...) or am I reading too much into Pan's late '60s advetising and marketing????