1894 replies to this topic

#1 Wade

Wade

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:49 PM

Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli today announced that composer Thomas Newman will score the 23rd James Bond film, SKYFALL. “We are delighted to confirm that Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL. Thomas is one of the most respected and successful composers, he has a long history of working with Sam Mendes and we look forward to welcoming him into the Bond family,” commented Michael. G Wilson and Barbara Broccoli.

Said Newman today, “I’m incredibly excited to be working with Sam again. It’s a real thrill to be able to collaborate on something as special as a Bond movie.”

Thomas Newman, born on 20th October 1955 in Los Angeles, California, has scored four of Sam Mendes’s previous movies: American Beauty, Road to Perdition, Jarhead and Revolutionary Road. He has composed the music to more than fifty films and television series including Erin Brockovich, The Shawshank Redemption and Wall-E and has earned ten Academy Award nominations, won a BAFTA, five Grammys and an Emmy.

Newman takes over musical duties from David Arnold who is currently Music Director of the London Olympic and Paralympic closing ceremonies. David will continue to be involved with the 50th anniversary of Bond and recently produced the John Barry Memorial Concert at the Royal Albert Hall.

Said Arnold of the news: “I’m a huge fan of Thomas Newman so I am as excited as anyone to see where Sam Mendes and his team take James Bond on his 50th anniversary.”

Big news!!!

http://www.mi6-hq.co...22&t=mi6&s=news

Edited by Mharkin, 10 January 2012 - 12:36 AM.

#2 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:53 PM

well I think we all saw this coming will be interesting to see how Newman does.

#3 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:54 PM

Finally, a change of pace from David Arnold. Even though I thought Arnold had been getting better since "DAD", something tells me this Bond film will call for a very different sound and hopefully Mr. Newman can deliver.

#4 d21089

d21089

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:03 PM

great news, i am sure Newman can deliver and the sound I'm hearing in my head for this soundtrack is definitely up his alley. It was always between him and Arnold and the lack of news on Arnold's end was pretty deafening evidence he was probably not going to do it - I'm sure he will be back in the future anyway, I can't see Newman doing more unless Mendes does

#5 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:05 PM

Very good news! I can't wait for the new sound! Let's just hope it's not too different. Kamen style and all!

#6 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:06 PM

Amazing news!

#7 Wade

Wade

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:07 PM

Newman's family is heavy on legacy in movie music. He's got gravitas. And he's probably had ideas for his own Bond score since he was a kid. I just hope that, somehow, they bring back Barry's "007 Theme." It's one of my favorite pieces of music, and it has disappeared.

Edited by Wade, 04 January 2012 - 06:07 PM.

#8 larrythefatcat

larrythefatcat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 327 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:07 PM

I saw this and first thought "well, I guess that's the end of the David Arnold musical Bond reign"... and then I realized that this guy works with Mendes, like, all the time!

I also realized that John Barry had a whole bunch of (okay, well, THREE) Bond films he didn't do between FRWL and TLD... maybe it'll be every other film for Arnold like during the majority of the Moore Era.

Hey, at least it's better than a Bond score (which might not be too bad) and theme song by RANDY Newman... wait, I totally have to make one of those now! ;)

Edited by larrythefatcat, 04 January 2012 - 06:13 PM.

#9 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:17 PM

Yes! I think a lot of Arnold lovers will be embarrassed at how poor he is in comparison to Newman when the film finally comes out.

Excellent news.

#10 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:29 PM

Posted Image

#11 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

I think the biggest problem I have with Newman is that he doesn't have many pieces that sound Bond-esque. Most of them are sad, or don't fit Bond at all. The closest score to Bond that he has is The Good German, but it's not on Youtube.

#12 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

Interesting stuff; I'm aware of him but not listened to much of his stuff; any recommendations?

I wonder if we'll see this news confirmed soon...?

#13 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:39 PM

Interesting stuff; I'm aware of him but not listened to much of his stuff; any recommendations?

It's more than just a rumor,

http://www.google.ca...0&bih=779&ion=1

#14 TCK

TCK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 341 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:39 PM

2012 couldn't have begun better.

#15 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:42 PM

It's more than just a rumor,

http://www.google.ca...0&bih=779&ion=1

Well, not yet: it's just MI6 saying 'we understand he's doing it' and the rest of them quoting MI6.

I've no reason to disbelieve them but I'd prefer a press release.

#16 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:54 PM

Question mark added.

#17 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:06 PM

is this official confirmed? I would the confirmation to come from the men himself

#18 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:15 PM

Yes! I think a lot of Arnold lovers will be embarrassed at how poor he is in comparison to Newman when the film finally comes out.

Excellent news.

Really? We'll see I guess.

#19 ggl

ggl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:20 PM

Well, if this is true, that "other" website has won one point.

I don´t know why the hate or jeaulosy between webs, but, as we can see, it is good to search in as many webs as we can for pieces of news...

#20 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:21 PM

DAMNIT.

Well, congratulations Arnold-haters. You all got your wish. This must be wonderful news.

I'll anxiously await Newman's score and hope, with all sincerity, it's something memorable and appropriate that we can all enjoy. I have no reason to doubt he can produce - he's a terrific composer, my opinions on his 'appropriateness' for a Bond film notwithstanding.

I want him to deliver something phenomenal. I really do. I just hope to higher powers we aren't sitting here in a year's time lamenting "that ambient strings/piano melody Bond score that didn't use the brass section once".

Actually, that wouldn't be the worst thing. It would be unique, interesting, and might just make people sit up and realize what we had with David.

#21 Navy007Fan

Navy007Fan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:27 PM

Interesting news indeed! Mr. Newman has a great resume, and I am looking forward to hearing his score. I wonder if David Arnold's Olympics gig had anything to do with the choice.

#22 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:34 PM

I wonder what the Newman Gunbarrel with sound like!

Edited by Mharkin, 04 January 2012 - 07:34 PM.

#23 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:39 PM

Listening to some samples of his 'Iron Lady' score, the most recent Newman work I could find. Sounds great.

#24 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:50 PM

This is indeed interesting news. As much as I like David Arnold's work, a change in composer once in a while certainly brings a freshness to the Bond series..i.e..George Martin, Marvin Hamlisch, Michael Kamen, Bill Conti..etc.. I do believe that Arnold's involvement with the London Olympics may have played a part in this decision, but I wouldn't count him out from returning to Bond down the road at some point.

#25 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

That's true. If Newman fails to deliver, David's back in a heartbeat for Bond 24, likely at the producers' request. That's total speculation on my part, but nevertheless.

I'm gutted Arnold's gone, but at the same time - can't help but feel optimistic Newman's replacing him. I have no doubt we'll get a great score. I just hope it's a great Bond score.

#26 Ace Roberts

Ace Roberts

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 433 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:30 PM

If you listen to the On Her Majesty's Secret Service soundtrack, you get a number of slower tempo songs, like Try, Journey to Blofeld's Hideaway, Bond & Draco. My guess is Skyfall will have a similar tonal formula. That's not to say that there won't be action packed-upbeat tracks, you know there will. But this is where Thomas Newman is the strongest. I expect he will deliver a very memorable main theme that will be present throughout. I'm pumped.

#27 Satorious

Satorious

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 470 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:47 PM

With main-title song written by Randy!

Cautiously optimistic. Not what I'd call a natural Bond fit (like his brother David), but let's wait and see... I believe all the elements of Bond should be shaken up once in a while - the Arnold sound was getting stale.

#28 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:48 PM

If you listen to the On Her Majesty's Secret Service soundtrack, you get a number of slower tempo songs, like Try, Journey to Blofeld's Hideaway, Bond & Draco. My guess is Skyfall will have a similar tonal formula. That's not to say that there won't be action packed-upbeat tracks, you know there will. But this is where Thomas Newman is the strongest. I expect he will deliver a very memorable main theme that will be present throughout. I'm pumped.

I'd be in heaven if Newman managed to come up with something like that.

#29 Stainless Steel Teeth INC

Stainless Steel Teeth INC

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:55 PM

I have to say that I will miss David Arnold on this occasion. It's evident how passionate he is about working on the films and with QOS I felt he had produced some of his most confident and atmospheric cues to date.

But I do look forward to hearing what Thomas Newman introduces and I'm encouraged that he has a longterm (and successful) collaboration with Mendes which can only be of benefit to the production. I do echo MattofSteel's comment on hoping we won't be wondering where the brass section is though as that (imo) is such an integral part of the 'sound' of 007's character.

I also hope that he gets the opportunity to work on the title theme in some capacity so that he gets the chance to filter it into the score and we don't end up with a theme and score that are at odd's with each other.

I will truly be happy though if we get confirmation that Daniel Kleinman is returning to take care of the title sequence.

#30 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:02 PM

I'm good with this.