13 replies to this topic

#1 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:02 PM

Benson announced this on his Facebook page today. E-reader in the "first or second week" of January, with audiobook and print edition sometime after that.

#2 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:42 PM

Now this is good news! If there could be a second volume coving the releases from 1988 to the present this would be even greater. Still, fine to see this published again!

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:07 PM

Cover art...

http://www.thebookbo...nion-to-be.html

#4 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:21 PM

Excellent news! I LOVE this book. Will it be fully updated?

#5 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:46 PM

Far as I heard no, sadly. That would be a most welcome treat, a Companion Mark II by another author covering Benson, Westbrook, Higson, Faulks and Deaver.

#6 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:16 PM

Great news but that lame cover art is more fitting for 1992.

#7 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:33 AM

First to preface what I'm about to say, I'm in no way speaking for Benson. I *suspect* that one reason why Benson may hesitate to update the Bedside Companion is once you become a participant (as he did did), everything changes. So it's natural why he would hesitate to expand his comments on the literary Bond beyond what he published in 1988. Plus, it would be strange to update the film Bond part of the book without touching the literary Bond.

I do remember the original 1984 edition as being very well done, even if you don't agree with all of his conclusions. The fact it will be available again will have to be enough, I guess.

#8 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:16 AM

A look at why the book had such impact in the '80s:

http://bit.ly/sQsCcW

#9 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:01 AM

First to preface what I'm about to say, I'm in no way speaking for Benson. I *suspect* that one reason why Benson may hesitate to update the Bedside Companion is once you become a participant (as he did did), everything changes.

I spoke to him about it once and he said that was exactly the problem but I was hoping maybe they'd found another way around that. I shan't buy a new copy without new material.

#10 Colombo

Colombo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:47 AM

I remember loving and pouring over the original edition. Not because I i agreed with everything he had to say but because i didn't...Much better to hear a well thought out conflicting viewpoint rather than a bland fanboy bouquet (which is why i look for the -ve reviews on imdb)

Have to agree about the cover art though...terrible

Well, that's another thing to look forward to in 2012 :)

#11 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:18 AM

Not sure why there's enthusiasm for this.

Sure, of its time it was a classic, influencing all we knew about Bond in 1988. But that is now quite clealry all we THOUGHT we knew about Bond; no mention of James Brolin, nor mention of PER FINE OUNCE, etc... Is there a desire for dated facts?

Add to that it was written by someone we know now would write his own Bond novels and this must surely cloud our preception of Benson's opinions.

There may be a desire for a corrected edition (including stuff like Brolin, and PFO, perhas even as a counterweight to show just how much info was unvailable in the 80s) or even volume 2 (though clearly Benson couldn't be involved).

But I think my views of the original are warm and nostalgic. I have both editions but haven't considered either for years.

Just as Benson has made the major change from audience member to on-stage performer in the world of Bond, we have moved on.

#12 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:10 PM

Mr Benson has contributed more to the Bond legacy than any other living person outside of perhaps half a dozen in Eon Productions; accordingly, a re-release is worth celebrating even if it is not updated. A definitive critical work.

#13 dogmanstar

dogmanstar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:12 PM

Looking forward to seeing it again! This is indeed good news!

#14 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:04 PM

First to preface what I'm about to say, I'm in no way speaking for Benson. I *suspect* that one reason why Benson may hesitate to update the Bedside Companion is once you become a participant (as he did did), everything changes.

I spoke to him about it once and he said that was exactly the problem but I was hoping maybe they'd found another way around that. I shan't buy a new copy without new material.

Me neither. I'd love an updated edition. Yes, yes, I'm aware that there would be obvious problems regarding such a venture, but it surely cannot be beyond the wit of man to find a way around them.