This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Would Lazenby have got better if he did more films?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 23 May 2002 - 08:30 PM

I've always pondered this, would Lazenby have got better if he had done 2 or 3 more films? I think he would have, given a bit of drama traing and the experience from OHMSS, he would have made a good Bond. I know he had his faults, and I've slagged him off before, but as I watch the film over and over again, I think he would have got better. He could have carried on for years after OHMSS and I can think of at least two Bonds he was better than.

#2 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 23 May 2002 - 08:45 PM

I would have loved to have seen him in Diamonds Are Forever. Look it the pre-title sequence, it made for him. Everything in it fit's with his strengths and if he'd done it, it would have set up the revenge plot better.
Who knows, if he'd gone on to do 7, then maybe Roger Moore might never have got to play Bond and the change from Lazenby to Dalton wouldn't have seemed so drastic. Then maybe Dalton would have gone on to do 5 in total and we'd be looking at Bond 20, the first film of a new Bond. Obviously Pierce, 49, too old to assume the mantle and so therefor would never have got to play Bond.

Isn't it strange when you think about 'what ifs'? Put's a whole new perspective on things.
mmmmmmmm........
Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 24 May 2002 - 01:30 AM

That will always be the great unanswered question. Who knows--if the film had been marketed better and if audiences knew that Lazenby would be coming back for another film, OHMSS could have been a hit, Diamonds Are Forever might have followed OHMSS's style and been a more serious film, and the comedic Bond films of the '70s might never have been made. Hmmm. This is gettin' too Star Trekish parallel universe for me. . .

#4 The Real Ryder

The Real Ryder

Cadet

• Crew
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 June 2002 - 11:33 PM

I think it would have been terrific if Lazenby stayed on board and made the seventies more serious. However, you have to ask the question of how OHMSS would have influenced the seventies if the producers had not been too bothered by the weak box office it recieved and if Lazenby continued to carry the torch. Plus, how would Lazenby have made a film such as Moonraker? But imagine how awsome it would have been if Lazenby had done For Your Eyes Only which seemed to have the beginning that DAF lacked.

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 19 June 2002 - 12:25 AM

Having watched OHMSS only yesterday I'd say for sure! Lazenby wasn't a great actor, that's for sure. There were a few stifled moments and a few that were cringe-worthy. But for a person who's never studied acting he did damn well. I've know people who consider themselves actors and do a worse job.

I think it's a real shame that Lazenby didn't go on to do DAF. I think it would have been a credit to the film. The way Hunt filmed OHMSS to run straight into DAF wsa brilliant and the audiences, I think, would have loved it.

#6 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 19 June 2002 - 06:08 AM

Yes! He would definately have gotten better....George doesn't get enough respect, for a first time acting gig, he did quite well, better than a lot of people who claim to be "actors..."

#7 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 09:24 AM

i agree with you buddy. He copped a bad wrap. First time i saw OHMSS i wasn't a big fan. going back to it after i respected it, it is in fact probably the best film in the series, if not its easily in the top 3. Peter Hunt did a great directing job, wonder why he only did 1. And i think me aussie mate george did a pretty good job, DAF would have been better with him than connery and thats saying something....

#8 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 01:43 PM

You know, what rafterman said made me really think of something and it never really occured to me before. It's an analogy.

Look at it this way:

George Lazenby, first time actor, OHMSS.
Denise Richards, acted many times in the past, TWINE.
Tanya Roberts, acted many times in the past, AVTAK.

Go figure!

George, you did brilliantly buddy!

#9 BONDage

BONDage

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 06:25 PM

I completely agree, Carver!

I think he would

#10 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 27 July 2002 - 10:41 AM

In OHMSS, Lazenby immediately takes possession of the role it took Connery at least three films to grow into. Lazenby's Bond is much closer to the Bond of the books than Connery's, and physically a more faithful match to Fleming's creation. In OHMSS, Lazenby plays Bond (very well) as an arrogant, dangerous and seductive, but deep down unhappy and unfulfilled man who learns some respect for the human race for the first time when he falls in love with Tracy. Lazenby also gave us a superbly athletic Bond who looked great in action scenes (and the action scenes of OHMSS are among the best of the entire series, for my money). It's also hard to imagine Sean Connery pulling off the hilarious impersonation of Sir Hillary Bray as well as Lazenby, a joke that's all the funnier because it's JAMES BOND trying to pass himself off as a fuddy-duddy and probable virgin. Given Connery's bored turn in "You Only Live Twice" and lazy, in-it-for-the-money performance in "Diamonds Are Forever", I don't have much time for the argument that OHMSS would have been a better film had Connery been in it. Audiences would never have bought Connery's Bond with tears in his eyes (or Moore's or Brosnan's Bond with tears in his eyes; strange fact: Dalton in the LTK is the only other time we see a tearful Bond). I feel that if Lazenby had continued as Bond, he'd've kicked ***.