9 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:00 PM

Here's my look back at all the U.S. movie tie-in editions.

http://www.thebookbo...n-editions.html

#2 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:12 PM

Very nice! Thanks for this.

Still very happy we got this in England.

Posted Image

I think I still have mine, somewhere. It's kicking about in a box in my cupboard.

#3 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:22 PM

More fantastic work courtesy of zencat! :tup:

I'm proud to say that I have the whole set in my collection. :)

#4 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:59 PM

I have a set of tie-ins from Dr. No - DAD, but many of the covers are different from Zencat's collection.

I suspect many of mine are PAN editions, which feature stills from the films, while FYEO ond OP feature bizarre composite pictures which do not resemble Roger Moore - or anyone, for that matter.

Still, I have one for each film*, so that makes it a 'complete' collection to me.

* (For AVTAK and TLD I count FYEO and OP twice)

#5 larrythefatcat

larrythefatcat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 327 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:16 AM

I have most of the Signet movie tie-ins as they are quite easy to find. I KNOW I have the FRWL, GF, TB, OHMSS, TMWTGG paperbacks and I might have one of the others that doesn't have a new cover, but merely a star or arrow that states "Now a motion picture from United Artists" or whatever. I'm fairly utilitarian in my Bond book collection in that I mostly just have the dirt cheap old paperbacks and generally only one copy of each book (my Bond movie collection is quite the opposite).

I've also finally acquired a copy of TND so I have all of the novelizations now, too. I've yet to crack it open, but I'll probably read the Wood books first... after I finally finish Carte Blanche, that is. ;)

Edited by larrythefatcat, 29 November 2011 - 12:18 AM.

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:35 AM

I have a set of tie-ins from Dr. No - DAD, but many of the covers are different from Zencat's collection.

I suspect many of mine are PAN editions, which feature stills from the films, while FYEO ond OP feature bizarre composite pictures which do not resemble Roger Moore - or anyone, for that matter.

I'll tackle te Pan (UK) editions next. These are the U.S. Those FEYO and OP are tricky. The FYEO has a blurb on the cover so, yes, that is a tie-in. But that OP doesn't reference the film anywhere and the artwork on the cover is not from the film (there are elements from FYEO actually), so should we consider it a tie-in?

#7 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:16 AM

Great article. I have quite a few of these in my collection already with the exception of the Moore era books. I'll need to work on fixing that. :D

#8 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:53 AM

My first reading of Thunderball was that Signet tie in. Another good article Zen, nice work.

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:12 PM

Okay, here are the UK movie tie-in editions now.

http://www.thebookbo...n-editions.html

#10 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:44 PM

There was a time in the late 80s when I had to patiently track down these versions. Of course, there wasn't a checklist to go by. Glad to see I managed to get them all (even that YOLT after-thought).

Worth noting on that 1980s OHMSS hybrid is the basic design and layout matches the other three Signet paperbacks published at that time (if I remember correctly, the type-setting for those 4 modern Signet paperbacks are each used from the originals created in the 60s). It's interesting, to say the least, that they decided to stick with the Lazenby design. The basic layouts for the FYEO, AVTAK, and LTK US tie-in covers also follows the various established designs that were used in other Bond paperbacks by the individual publishers at those specific times.

Even though Octopussy didn't have a tie-in, I use the 1980s Signet paperback to complete the Fleming set for the heck of it.

One final note, again it's been a while since I cracked it open, but there is no mention of original Fleming characters or situations inspiring the story for LTK. I'm sure it's all due to the legalities over proper attribution, but it is kind of ironic that it's a Bond novel, credited as being created from a script by Wilson/Maibaum, but nothing about where the ideas like Leiter's leg getting bitten off (again, as presented in the novelization) or a character like Milton Krest came from. I know it's unrealistic to expect something so in-depth, but still, not even a mention by the publishers of LALD or THR.