8 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:00 PM

I've been taking a look back at the Bantam Bond book series from the '70s this weekend.

Bantam's BOND
http://www.thebookbo...ntams-bond.html

Bantam's COLONEL
http://www.thebookbo...ms-colonel.html

#2 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:47 PM

A latecomer to these series on Book Bond, I had never seen either the Jove or Bantam covers.

And to be frank, I think my education was complete without having seen them and might actually have taken a step back having now been introduced. A nice retrospective nonetheless John, but I must admit to feeling I could never buy a novel with an American cover.

My other 'hero', the Saint. I remember seeing American atrocities being performed on those releases. Good grief, I never thought they were from the same series. Curiously, the French did some nice covers for the Arteme Fayard publications - as pulpily sort of reminiscent of the Fahey covers as one could get.

Scroll to the bottom - http://www.lofficier...intcovers1.html

#3 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:30 PM

This is an interesting piece;
having only moved to the states a decade ago, I own very few US paperbacks; I have all of the signet editions but almost nothing from the 70s and 80s and rarely see these floating about.
Covers are fascinating things; I grew up with the Triad Panther UK paperbacks of the late 70s/early 80s (which you wrote about recently)and then started collecting the PAN versions; it's those PAN versions that I now associate with more than any others; thought they were great...
Must start looking for more of these US versions tho....
BTW; Your site is terrific, I really enjoy reading the articles and seeing the cover images; keep up the great work!

#4 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:34 PM

Lovely covers!

#5 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:11 PM

Well, I'm enjoying these. It's fun to see how the books have been packaged over the years.

Most of the designs I was already aware of, and true, some of them are a lot better than others, but it's little tidbits about these sets that Zencat's touching on that I come back for: Which books did or didn't get a run and why (because of movie tie-ins, split rights, or whatever), re-use of art, things like that.

Might I suggest the 90s Coronets next? True, not the most interesting designs, and too recent to be vintage, but it's nice to mix things up. There are things to discuss, like the two DR. NO covers, the reuse of FSS image for the Gardner omnibus, etc (hell, I just wanna see this set because some - five, I think - of the Gardners get a run).

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:37 PM

Thank you, everyone. I'm really enjoying doing these. I think I found a purpose for my blog in-between books. :)

Good suggestion about the 90s Coronets, Freemo. Certainly this was the most complete series ever. But I have the Signets all set to go next. Maybe Coronets after that. I've just been following my mood.

#7 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:48 PM

These are very nicely painted but not my favourites, either. Seems such a weird concept to go the floating heads route on a book where we don't know what anyone looks like! :)

#8 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:38 AM

Well, I'm enjoying these. It's fun to see how the books have been packaged over the years.

Most of the designs I was already aware of, and true, some of them are a lot better than others, but it's little tidbits about these sets that Zencat's touching on that I come back for: Which books did or didn't get a run and why (because of movie tie-ins, split rights, or whatever), re-use of art, things like that.

Might I suggest the 90s Coronets next? True, not the most interesting designs, and too recent to be vintage, but it's nice to mix things up. There are things to discuss, like the two DR. NO covers, the reuse of FSS image for the Gardner omnibus, etc (hell, I just wanna see this set because some - five, I think - of the Gardners get a run).

Thanks for giving us a look at these Zen. They appear to be less common than other editions and i've always liked them, although it's strange seeing "Dirty Harry" and his Magnum on the cover of Moonraker.

Don't know if it's just me, but the Bond on the Doctor No cover is a splitting image of Timothy Dalton. Surely it was too early for the cover artist to base it on him.

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 05:40 PM

Working on that right now, freemo. I'm just trying to determine exactly when this series first appeared. I believe it was 1995?

Going to go dig through some OO7 Magazines to confirm, but if any one can help me out, that would be great.