This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

What did Ian Fleming think about the three James Bond films ?

7 replies to this topic

#1 TCK

TCK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 341 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:09 PM

Does anybody there know what Ian Fleming did think about the three James Bond films he saw, or at least he was able to see ? I know he came during shooting both Dr No and From Russia with love and he took part in the production too. I also know he vetted the script of Goldfinger, but nothing more... Do you know if he gave an opinion about those ones ?

Thanks in advance for replying.

Cheers.

#2 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:47 PM

I've heard two reports regarding his impressions of Dr. No:

"Dreadful, just dreadful!"

Which was later tempered into:

"Those who have read the book will be disappointed, but those who haven't will enjoy it."

Considering that Dr. No was the third attempt to transfer 007 to the screen (after CR 54, MR and McClory's JBotSS), and the first of his failed film projects to be turned into a novel, he shouldn't complain (he even said to Terence Young early on, "So you're the one they've chosen to [censored] up my work").

The success of Dr. No, however, must have helped quiet his misgivings towards FRWL. Attending premieres and hobnobbing with the sort of celebrities he'd always wanted to be associated with couldn't have hurt either.

Never heard about him 'vetting' the GF script. That's interesting.

Edited by AMC Hornet, 25 October 2011 - 08:49 PM.

#3 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:24 PM

I have also read the "dreadful, just dreadful" comment in Andrew Lycett's biography of Ian Fleming. And perhaps his first impressions of the film of DN were not favourable.

On the other hand, it didn't stop him visiting the sets of FRWL and GF, and attending the premieres. Whatever real misgivings he may have had about the way the films portrayed his fictional character were suppressed, I suspect, for good, probably financial, reasons.

As for a veto over the GF script - I wonder if it occured to Ian Fleming that his original idea of Goldfinger stealing the bullion from Fort Knox was utterly impractical, and that irradiating it made more sense? If he did have some sort of final say over the GF script, he was obviously content with Messrs Maibaum and Dehn's re-working of Operation Grand Slam.

#4 SAWfinger

SAWfinger

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:19 PM

I, too, am curious about the claim that Ian Fleming had a 'veto' over the 'Goldfinger' script. What is the evidence or source for this? Moreover, I would be very surprised if Fleming had a view about the film 'Goldfinger', as he died before it went on general release. While he did visit the set of 'Goldfinger' and chatted to Sean Connery and Shirley Eaton, I don't think he was shown any preview 'rushes'? He was also pretty ill by then, and had a kind of love/hate relationship with his 'cardboard booby' (as he once called his creation). Can anybody enlighten me?

I have also read the "dreadful, just dreadful" comment in Andrew Lycett's biography of Ian Fleming. And perhaps his first impressions of the film of DN were not favourable.

On the other hand, it didn't stop him visiting the sets of FRWL and GF, and attending the premieres. Whatever real misgivings he may have had about the way the films portrayed his fictional character were suppressed, I suspect, for good, probably financial, reasons.

As for a veto over the GF script - I wonder if it occured to Ian Fleming that his original idea of Goldfinger stealing the bullion from Fort Knox was utterly impractical, and that irradiating it made more sense? If he did have some sort of final say over the GF script, he was obviously content with Messrs Maibaum and Dehn's re-working of Operation Grand Slam.

#5 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:48 PM

Fleming had no script control. He couldn't veto or approve anything.

Maibaum confirmed that fact in a 1985 interview. Fleming was shown the scripts and he gave notes about them - Fleming has said his script comments were mostly about protocol regarding M and Bond, etc.

I've seen the Goldfinger script with Fleming's notes on it in the Glidrose Archive.

But again the producers showed Fleming the script and read his notes as a courtesy - not as a contractual obligation.

Maibaum was the source for the change on Goldfinger regarding irradiating the gold and also the method of knocking out the inhabitants of Ft. Knox.

I've never seen any evidence that Fleming saw anything of the almost finished film - as a for instance Shirley Bassey didn't record the theme song until 8 days after Fleming died - so they were pretty busy in post production.

I'm always puzzled when fans fall over themselves to recommend that Bond films should be dedicated or in memoriam for certain personnel - while the thought is nice, the fact that they didn't do so for Fleming...

Maibaum said Fleming had very little to say about the changes done to the stories to turn them into scripts. He did compliment Maibaum on adding humor, and for instance, on changing the villains in FRWL from Russians to SPECTRE, Maibaum said Fleming didn't bat an eye.

#6 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:03 PM

Fleming had no script control. He couldn't veto or approve anything.

Maibaum confirmed that fact in a 1985 interview. Fleming was shown the scripts and he gave notes about them - Fleming has said his script comments were mostly about protocol regarding M and Bond, etc.

I've seen the Goldfinger script with Fleming's notes on it in the Glidrose Archive.

But again the producers showed Fleming the script and read his notes as a courtesy - not as a contractual obligation.

Maibaum was the source for the change on Goldfinger regarding irradiating the gold and also the method of knocking out the inhabitants of Ft. Knox.

I've never seen any evidence that Fleming saw anything of the almost finished film - as a for instance Shirley Bassey didn't record the theme song until 8 days after Fleming died - so they were pretty busy in post production.

I'm always puzzled when fans fall over themselves to recommend that Bond films should be dedicated or in memoriam for certain personnel - while the thought is nice, the fact that they didn't do so for Fleming...

Maibaum said Fleming had very little to say about the changes done to the stories to turn them into scripts. He did compliment Maibaum on adding humor, and for instance, on changing the villains in FRWL from Russians to SPECTRE, Maibaum said Fleming didn't bat an eye.

For what it's worth, this is consistent with everything I've read, heard. Excellent, thorough contribution to the knowledge base here, doublenoughtspy. Thank you.

#7 SAWfinger

SAWfinger

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:18 PM

Yes, I'd like to thank Doublenoughtspy, too. A very informative answer. Confirms my suspicions.

#8 ggl

ggl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:00 PM

Talking about Goldfinger and, if you allow me:

http://debrief.comma...oldfinger-book/

Here is a book I wrote and that you all can buy ;)
In www.naullibres.com you can search (right side) "goldfinger", and it takes to the book.

There you can even read some pages and improve your Spanish...