This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Will Bond 23 Be Titled SKYFALL?

451 replies to this topic

Poll: IF SkyFall is the title of Bond 23...

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

...which is, as at 7 October 2011, still a girthsome IF... do you think it's

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Ultimately, do you think this rumour is...

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:59 PM

I really wanted a Fleming title.

Same here, but I'd very happily settle for a suitably Bondian, classy and mysterious original title, such as CARTE BLANCHE, which is a terrific title (shame about the book, though). However, SKYFALL is just a horrible title.

#32 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:04 PM

Does sound more a John Gardner/Raymond Benson Bond title than Fleming, I guess, and sort of chucks up images of Broz-Bond.

But this one'll have Craig. And hopefully lessons will have been learned from QOS (?).

And it is only a title.

#33 Pierce - Daniel

Pierce - Daniel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:05 PM

It's such a meh title, the sort of book thriller titles that clog up whsmith shelves attempting to be edgy, but really meaning very little. Oh well, maybe it makes sense in context of the movies, so immediately would be a damn sight better than Quantum of Solace

#34 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:09 PM

It sounds like a title from a John Gardener novel.

#35 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:19 PM

Assuming we take everything with a pinch of Stacey Sutton rock-salt at this early stage, the projected moniker for Bond XXIII (as of today when the cat involuntarily left the bag from whence it potentially came from) is perfectly functional, apt and thankfully not the 50th anniversary Fleming love-in some fans were expecting and praying for.

The title may also allude to the paranoia game that people play, the arena of mixed truths and untruths. "The Sky Is Falling" is a famous phrase about creating panic and projecting doom (heck it was even used to describe MGM's financial woes - something that was oddly prescient/informed all those months ago). Interpreting (or mis-interpreting which was Fleming's wont) the phrase 'the sky is falling, go tell the King' into a Bond film scenario is actually quite apt, fitting and loaded with marketing scope (imagine someone like Adele doing a Bond song akin to her SET FIRE TO THE RAIN - heck, I'm there!).

And this suggested title thankfully has no bloody O's in there to create Bond fan art wetdreams. Whilst the fans need the title to set fire to their rain, all that it needs to do for Bond is to get column space (which it already has without a penny of 007 marketing funds leaving the petty cash box). Whether folk say SKYFALL or "the Bond film" when they buy their tickets at their local picture house is irrelevant just as long as they part with their cash.

#36 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:45 PM

I like it.

#37 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:49 PM

Same here, but I'd very happily settle for a suitably Bondian, classy and mysterious original title, such as CARTE BLANCHE, which is a terrific title (shame about the book, though). However, SKYFALL is just a horrible title.

Yeah, what is this, a Gardner novel?

Sounds like a direct-to-video thriller. Nothing witty, exotic, or fascinating about it. It's enough to make one fawn over a title like TOMORROW NEVER DIES.

#38 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:53 PM

Assuming we take everything with a pinch of Stacey Sutton rock-salt at this early stage, the projected moniker for Bond XXIII (as of today when the cat involuntarily left the bag from whence it potentially came from) is perfectly functional, apt and thankfully not the 50th anniversary Fleming love-in some fans were expecting and praying for.

Well, SKYFALL would be the first Bond film title since DR. NO to have only one vowel in it, so there's your geeky fiftieth anniversary fanboy love-in tie-in thing right there. :P

#39 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:09 PM

007 SKYFALL

Not quite sure if I like it or not, yet... First impression is...not...that...much...maybe... :dizzy:

Could have been 007 CRASHDIVE and be a nod to a Fleming short story (if true that is)

Edited by univex, 05 October 2011 - 03:13 PM.

#40 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:10 PM

Curious that 007skyfall.com has not been registered yet.(nor any ‘skyfall’ ‘007’ variation).

If this is an oversight, it's a strange one.

#41 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:18 PM

Cold Fall. :)

SKYFALL... I could learn to live with it. At least it's a one word title.

#42 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:31 PM

A "major Canadian company" for whom I recently worked uses Mark Monitor to handle all its domain-related operations - of which there are many. I worked with Mark Monitor directly on numerous occasions. They are 100% legit. We switched domain vendors while I was there and audited several to reach the best choice - they won.

Regardless, standard digital marketing practice for Sony (or any corporation) would be to have Mark Monitor make these registrations right about now, in advance of an announcement. Though, that could mean an actual reveal is still far away. In my own experience with them, we would provide URLs and domain requests oftentimes weeks or months in advance of requiring them for an actual campaign.

So, if Mark Monitor is officially registering these for Sony, that says to me there are only 3 possibilities.

1) Genius misdirection ploy by Sony to protect the actual title until reveal.

2) That's the title (my feeling).

3) That's the current working title (though, you'd think there would be multiple, and other 'potential' domains registered along with it).

#43 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:34 PM

Yeah, what is this, a Gardner novel?

Worse. SKYFALL is a fanfic title.

#44 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:37 PM

Oh, and I like it.

Suggests a 'Thunderball' or 'GoldenEye'-ish vibe: the name of an operation, or code word for something. Skyfall/The Sky is Falling/however you want to phrase it could be something immensely cool. IE, a plot to trick the US early warning system into thinking the Russians have launched so they'll return fire - which of course, provokes a Russian real retaliation and ends the world! (As it happens, I wrote a fanfic about 10 years ago with that exact plot) (SPOILER: Bond prevailed).

Dear God. I hope I haven't deduced the story 13 months ahead. ;)

#45 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:56 PM

BTW, if it's true, fantastic find, Shrublands!! (Don't think anyone's said that yet.)

#46 Charles Robinson

Charles Robinson

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:03 PM

Well, it seems that 'Bond 23' will be called "Skyfall". At first hearing I like it, just have to adjust gradually, like "Quantum Of Solace."

Since we rule out the titles of Ian Fleming. We all expected it to be "The Property Of a Lady" or "Risico" ... but will next time, maybe 'Bond 24'.

;)

#47 Marketto007

Marketto007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2487 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:11 PM

I liked it. Hope to see a press release soon.

xxx

#48 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:11 PM

Skyfall-- I LIKE IT A LOT!! :) :tup: To me it's very Fleming-esque...

#49 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:16 PM

I still have faith that Eon will do the decent thing and entitle this film either BOND, JAMES BOND or SHAKEN, NOT STIRRED. It's the fiftieth anniversary, after all! A title like SKYFALL would be a slap in the face to Bond fans and indeed to film fans in general. They might as well put the gunbarrel smack dab in the middle of the movie this time. :rolleyes:

#50 British Chap

British Chap

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:17 PM

Someone should mock-up a logo so we can get a sense of how the title might look all dolled up and Bond-ified.

#51 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:20 PM

Someone should mock-up a logo so we can get a sense of how the title might look all dolled up and Bond-ified.

ALBERT R. BROCCOLI'S EON PRODUCTIONS PRESENTS
DANIEL CRAIG AS IAN FLEMING'S JAMES BOND 007 IN

SKYFALL

#52 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:27 PM

ALBERT R. BROCCOLI'S EON PRODUCTIONS PRESENTS
DANIEL CRAIG AS IAN FLEMING'S JAMES BOND 007 IN

SKYFALL

That´s actually...not that bad :) Thanks Harms. Can´t really agree to it not knowing one bit about the feel of the film or the story. Could very well be an Alex Rider/Bondgame production. But if it has the feel of a...say, Thunderball, it could be the next "classic" Bond film. Who can tell anything at this stage? It does remind me of "Crashdive" codeword from the FYEO novel.

Edited by univex, 05 October 2011 - 04:30 PM.

#53 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:28 PM

The Turkish translation of SKYFALL is BLUE HARVEST.

:tup: :D

#54 WhatMeWorry?

WhatMeWorry?

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:37 PM

Skyfall sounds great. If it is indeed the title, I'm glad Eon went with an original name.

#55 Zographos

Zographos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:39 PM

A title like SKYFALL would be a slap in the face to Bond fans and indeed to film fans in general.

Sounds like you're having a little skyfall of your own.

#56 Ace Roberts

Ace Roberts

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:41 PM

I suppose one possibility is Skyfall is embedded in the film somehow, but not the actual title itself. Perhaps it is a device, or connected with the Quantum organization somehow. I'm not liking this title if this is infact it. Like others, I expected a Fleming connection to tie the other Craig films.

#57 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:51 PM

I agree with Loomis. It's rubbish - if it's true.

It's a throw away title, could be a Star Trek episode or a manga cartoon. Definately sounds more sci-fi than thriller. I don't think Fleming would have written anything so bland, his titles all have resonance and significance to the story, and by their phrasing seem to draw the reader in. This one sadly does nothing of the sort.

#58 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:10 PM

It's very slowly growing on me, I have to admit.

#59 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:15 PM

SKYFALL is not bad. Maybe it is not a very clever title (sounds a little bit generic) but it also sounds like a Bond title, and we haven't had a one-word title for a long time so I would be happy with this.

"...so he strikes ... like a ... Skyfaaaaaaaall!"

#60 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:17 PM

It's kind of along the same lines as "Nightfire" or "Bloodstone" to me.. Decent titles in my opinion, whether it's for a Bond video game or film.. Skyfall is certainly an interesting title.. I can't quite picture how it'll be used in the title song...I suspect that Adele (or whoever will be doing the title track) will have to do another non-title used theme song.