This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Video with Q, Bond (Talking!), Gadgets and more!

21 replies to this topic

#1 jim74454

jim74454

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 258 posts

Posted 08 November 2002 - 10:33 PM

Look at this video:

http://mediaviewer.i.....0/480685.html

#2 jim74454

jim74454

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 258 posts

Posted 08 November 2002 - 10:38 PM

Here are my comments:

Bond:
VERY poor animation
Voice is poor

Q:
Why not use John Cleese - didn't he sign on to at least to vocals?
He actually reminds me of the "Q" in Never Say Never Again
That joke about the "Q-WORM" and a lady being present is horrible.

Gadgets:
Pretty Standard
Traquilizer Gun - looks cheezy
Q-Decrypter - returns from AUF but looks like a Palm Piolt thing
Q-Worm - puts a virus in the computers

#3 jim74454

jim74454

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 258 posts

Posted 08 November 2002 - 10:40 PM

Oh, and by the way - that clip is of the Nintendo GameCube version. IGN has been saying all along that of the three console versions, the GameCube version is the worst of the three. THERE IS HOPE YET!

#4 jim74454

jim74454

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 258 posts

Posted 08 November 2002 - 10:59 PM

It sounds like the game still tells you how to do everything like it did in AUF. However, unlike those cut scenes (God how I hated hearing, "Hmm, Fireworks!") it seems that this time, Q radios in and tells you what to do:

Here he tells you to climb on top of an elevator and then crawl in a vent:

Here he tells you to use your Q glasses:

I mean - come on EA! We're not dumb little kids! I specifically remember in NOLF when I kept dying in one room. It took me a while but I figured out I needed to use Cate Archer's sunglasses. Its more fun figureing things out! Also, like AUF this game is starting to look a little cartoony (if thats a word)....purple rooms?

#5 jim74454

jim74454

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 258 posts

Posted 08 November 2002 - 11:10 PM

Now this is cool:

http://cubemovies.ig...in-219-0001.mov

Watch it carefully - you can see a list of the gadgets as they are cycled through. There it is! A SHAVER! I know Norelco has a deal for Die Another Day, but I didn't think their reach went into Nightfire too. I wonder what it is used for. For some reason I doubt its just for shaving.

#6 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 09 November 2002 - 01:06 AM

Where did you read that the GC version is the worst? Could you post the link here, please? I plan to buy the GC version.:eek:

#7 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 09 November 2002 - 04:15 PM

That first video is animated so badly! PB's face looks so bad and out of proportion!

As with the objectives - they should stick to the winning formula all the time - Goldeneye. Give Bond a file, with the objectives in it, and some tips from Moneypenny and Q - not a full load of dialogue on how to complete each step while in the game - it just makes it boring.

#8 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 09 November 2002 - 11:16 PM

You'd think that the Bond games would advance from GoldenEye. So far, only the graphics have advanced.

Why not just loosely adapt a film to the game? Then all the basic plot is made, and the game makers can concentrate on AI, extra dialogue, et cetera. That's what I liked about GE64, sure it didn't have the MY Manticore or a sliding down the dish level, but at least the plot didn't involve driving through a factory to get a friggin' breifcase!

#9 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 10 November 2002 - 11:40 AM

Exactly. I would prefer a game based on a film anyday. You have something to releate to all the way along.

#10 jim74454

jim74454

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 258 posts

Posted 10 November 2002 - 03:36 PM

I agree. They would be able to focus more on the graphics and omitting/fixing mistakes than writing a story. EON/MGM have good writers for the movies, but EA can only seem to get mediocre ones. Plus I like the file idea. It leaves more to your imagination and ingenuity. It also worked in NOLF how they have a briefing "level" before each mission. That was sort of the "next step" after the files in Goldeneye. I wish EA would put some effort into it or get rid of the liscenese so someone who cares can do a good job. EA cares about to francises: Medal of Honor and SimCity/The Sims. The team that worked on Medal of Honor obviously knows what they are doing. They consistantly are making good FPS games. Why doesn't EA let them make a Bond game. They probably would do a better job. When I can afford it, I am going to start my own game company, hire all of the best programmers, developers, ect., aquire the Bond liscense, and focus totally on Bond games. I swear, EA sucks.

-Jim

#11 Jackzero

Jackzero

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 10:31 PM

007 in that shot looks sorta like a bloated tim allen(Home Improvement,Galaxy Quest,Santa Clause I and II) with a bigger nose...the voice is a bit off as well...Innuendo is right on though...

#12 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 10:51 PM

Talking about the Q looking like the one in NSNA, I always thought this when playing TWINE64. It's a definite likeness, and not very original!!

#13 007ES

007ES

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 11:45 AM

Where is the movie all I hear is sound someone help!

#14 mkkbb

mkkbb

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 01:23 PM

Argh, I hated that about AUF, they tell you how to do things. The great thing about GoldenEye was figuring out the easiest way to do things, this then makes you play it repeatedly.

Seeing those movies it's exactly the same again. Why can't we just be left to figure these out ourselves.

#15 jim74454

jim74454

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 258 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 01:50 PM

Its funny, after AUF came out, I wrote a long e-mail to EA complaining. A week later they had, on their Bond site, a survey asking what people would like to see in the next game. In the e-mail I specifically made a point about figuring out things for ourselves and they had a question about it in the survey. Now EA never released those results, but I bet that it was a popular idea.

I hated nothing more than hearing "Hmmm, fireworks!" 50 times. Stuff like that really lowers the quality of the game.

#16 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 02:59 PM

One thing Bond should say to the player are funny quips when he kills someone in a humourous manner (ie, pinning them to a tree with a spear, electrocuting them). But I fully support getting rid of this 'vocal help' system that makes the game too easy. If EA wants to make the game easier, they shouldn't put 50 guards in a level (which makes the game unrealistic).

#17 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 03:42 PM

Jim, be sure to employ us lot aswell :)

EA should have quite a few fans around to read over the story etc...so they can give feedback - they'd make a greater game if they had some fans to give them feedback.

#18 jokemaster

jokemaster

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 10:31 PM

I agree that a game should be based on the movies, that way (apart from the reasons above) instead of getting the dreaded "hmm fireworks" hints you can take the hints from the movie, like in TWINE 64 you had to jump on the cable to escape the explosion, like in the movie

#19 thenman

thenman

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 November 2002 - 11:29 PM

So far as I know, in Nightfire you only get hints like that in Operative, not in Agent or 00 Agent. At least it was that way on the demo.

#20 TheBritishEnd

TheBritishEnd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 261 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 04:59 AM

The gadgets are an improvement in Nightfire. For one thing, they didn't rely on one gadget to do everything as past Bond games have done. Here, the watch is only a laser and detonator; the stunner is a key ring; the cell phone is only a grappling hook, the flash grenades are a shaver, etc. I just think it's better than having all the gadgets use the same watch or phone animation.

Most of the gadgets are also a bit more animated this time.

The decryptor doesn't just beep a few times and then open the door- instead, you have to hold the button down while Bond feverishly punches the keypad, gaining one number at a time.

The 'Q Worm' is a Universal Export credit card. Bond slides the top back, and a cd disc pops out which he installs into the computer.

My favorite is the mini-camera. When Bond accesses it, it's a harmless cigarette lighter. In use he slides it into a camera, but the default allows you to flick it open and light the flame. Nice detail, which I'm sure has a function somewhere in the game.

#21 TheBritishEnd

TheBritishEnd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 261 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 03:55 PM

I have read that the Gamecube version is best, since Eurocom designed the game using the Gamecube and included a few extra technical details like a particle engine (whatever the hell that is). The PC version is supposedly the worse, and wasn't even developed by the same company.

Also, I know I'm in the minority, but I think EA is on the right track with the Bond license. Flawed as AUF's story may have been, it was still more interesting than playing through several 'filler' levels based loosely around the latest Bond fllm. (It's also more fun when you don't know where the story is going.) I prefer to see elements from the films incorporated creatively, such as GE's two bonus levels using Moonraker/Golden Gun stuff.

Nightfire's story is pretty good, with Drake obviously inspired by Hugo Drax. Whether or not it's intentional, the fact that Drake is viewed as a humanitarian by the world at large reminds me of the Drax from Fleming's novel.

#22 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 04:01 AM

Why oh why must they always put the PC users at a disadvantage? I can't imagine more people own Gamecubes than own computers. Either way, NF sounds like a refreshment from the shoot-'em-up-fest of TND, TWINE (not so much), AUF, and even GE64.