45 replies to this topic

#31 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:40 AM

A classic Bond is a movie where the director makes creative decisions and takes his time in telling the story. It doesn't have to be Oscar worthy but simply interesting enough for us to enjoy. X-Men First Class had the elements of surprise,style and patience to tell a story than rush through to the next action scene.

Most of the Bond films are classics simply because they have something interesting happening on screen. Even my least favourite Bond AVTAK had an interesting premise and a psychotic villain that kept me entertained mildly.

Maybe Craig means that Bond will be sophisticated and the villains more obvious than the last two entries.

Edited by Dekard77, 05 August 2011 - 06:41 AM.

#32 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:01 AM

'Classic' Bond is when I get a warm, fuzzy feeling while watching it. It's the filmic equivalent of eating a Curly Wurly.

#33 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:07 AM

'Classic' Bond is when I get a warm, fuzzy feeling while watching it. It's the filmic equivalent of eating a Curly Wurly.

You mean it's not like it was in the Seventies, it's getting smaller and you can barely find it anymore?

Might be a cruelly apt metaphor.

#34 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:52 AM

it's getting smaller and you can barely find it anymore?

Speak for yourself, Jim.

I´m a ´glass half full´ girl and I love a Curly Wurly.

#35 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:03 PM

it's getting smaller and you can barely find it anymore?

Speak for yourself, Jim.

I´m a ´glass half full´ girl and I love a Curly Wurly.

For observers not entirely au fait with the subject under discussion, it's a length of sweet confection that has a rippled appearance.

That probably didn't improve matters.

#36 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:09 PM

You mean it's not like it was in the Seventies, it's getting smaller and you can barely find it anymore?

Might be a cruelly apt metaphor.

It might, but allegedly and following lots of internet rumour the Curly Wurly is going to make a massive comeback in late 2012.

#37 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:12 PM

Posted Image

Childhood treat to give you that warm and fuzzy feeling.

#38 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:23 PM

Posted Image

Childhood treat to give you that warm and fuzzy feeling.

Oh that's what you were referring to.

#39 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:51 PM

I'm sure you can still get these!

#40 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:59 PM

Of course you can. I buy them regularly. Not that regularly - I fly Ryanair sometimes and those seats are SMALL. But I buy them sometimes, when I allow myself a treat. Then I eat them while watching a classic Bond film and get so warm and fuzzy I nearly melt away.

#41 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 04:26 PM

We used to have that in North America (and may still do, for all I know). It was called 'Wig Wag.' I'd had a few, but never became hooked on them. Besides, every one I bought would set me back fifteen cents from my next ticket to see Live and Let Die.

#42 Jack Spang

Jack Spang

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:42 PM

007 in New York is a terrible name for a Bond film and a Bond book. I don't know what compelled Fleming to use this. [i]Property of a Lady
is excellent. They should call Bond 23 this.

"007 in New York" was the title for a very short story, not a book per say. Given the nature and theme of the story (more of a travelogue told through Bond's eyes) it fits quite suitably. I'm sure if Fleming had gone with his alternative title for this story, "Reflections in a Carey Cadillac" the uproar at the thought of using it for a film title would be even greater.

It's an enjoyable little read. I prefer "Reflections in a Carey Cadillac". It is not appropriate for a Bond film title however and neither is the bland "007 in New York".

I can't help thinking that if "007 in New York" was a non Fleming title and thought up by one of the other continuation authors people wouldn't even give it a second thought as to it's supposed potential as a film title.

Edited by Jack Spang, 06 August 2011 - 11:43 PM.

#43 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:05 AM

007 in New York is a terrible name for a Bond film and a Bond book. I don't know what compelled Fleming to use this. [i]Property of a Lady

"007 in New York" was the title for a very short story, not a book per say. Given the nature and theme of the story (more of a travelogue told through Bond's eyes) it fits quite suitably. I'm sure if Fleming had gone with his alternative title for this story, "Reflections in a Carey Cadillac" the uproar at the thought of using it for a film title would be even greater.

It's an enjoyable little read. I prefer "Reflections in a Carey Cadillac". It is not appropriate for a Bond film title however and neither is the bland "007 in New York".

I can't help thinking that if "007 in New York" was a non Fleming title and thought up by one of the other continuation authors people wouldn't even give it a second thought as to it's supposed potential as a film title.

Sorry, Jack - I hadn't realised you'd read the story. Glad you have though!

I'm not sure 007 works well in any potential Bond film title, despite how easy it would make marketing the film. I'm open to ideas.

#44 Jack Spang

Jack Spang

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 01:40 AM

Sorry, Jack - I hadn't realised you'd read the story. Glad you have though!

I'm not sure 007 works well in any potential Bond film title, despite how easy it would make marketing the film. I'm open to ideas.

No worries. I've read it a few times like with all the Fleming books.

I wouldn't be surprised if by a classic Bond film they partly mean that Bond will end up with the girl at the end. If I were writing the film I would have the girl sitting beside Bond's side in a hospital holding his hand or embracing him from behind while he sits on a chair on the lawn nursing his wounds or something like that, similar to the end of some of the Fleming books. I'd stay away from the cliched kiss with Bond seducing the girl either in a bed or god knows where else.

Edited by Jack Spang, 11 August 2011 - 01:51 AM.

#45 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:47 AM

I'd stay away from the cliched kiss with Bond seducing the girl either in a bed or god knows where else.

or a boat!

#46 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:36 PM

I'd stay away from the cliched kiss with Bond seducing the girl either in a bed or god knows where else.

or a boat!

Snap! That's exactly what I was going to say.