2 replies to this topic

#1 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:58 PM

I was interested to learn that Putin would watch the Harry Palmer movies in the 1960s.:

http://www.express.c...er-Harry-Palmer

#2 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:46 PM

In two out of three of those 60s Harry Palmer films MI6 was, inadvertently, doing the KGB's job for it. Consider:-

Funeral In Berlin - an East/West defection foiled - the KGB was on to it from the start, and Harry Palmer was more concerned to discover that the man organising the defection was an ex-Nazi rather than a Jewish concentration camp victim.

Billion Dollar Brain - I really like this one, confusing as it is. Again, compromised from the outset - Harry's contact Leo Newbegin seduced by a KGB "swallow" (At least I assume that's what she was). Besides, in this one the Russians were not really the "enemy" - rather, General Midwinter's "Crusade For Freedom" outfit, which had obtained some dodgy viruses from a UK laboratory. Palmer's job, when he realised it, to stop Midwinter triggering WW III (This is where it gets like Bond, right down to the private army invading Latvia in converted tanker trucks - loved that scene where they are setting off for war to the soundtrack of Shostakovich's 7th symphony, "Leningrad"!)

Putin may have had a chuckle at these, and thought "Wish he was on our side." Except that, in these two films, without realising until well into the final reel, he was! :)

Edited by Guy Haines, 26 June 2011 - 11:48 PM.

#3 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:36 PM

In two out of three of those 60s Harry Palmer films MI6 was, inadvertently, doing the KGB's job for it. Consider:-

Funeral In Berlin - an East/West defection foiled - the KGB was on to it from the start, and Harry Palmer was more concerned to discover that the man organising the defection was an ex-Nazi rather than a Jewish concentration camp victim.

Billion Dollar Brain - I really like this one, confusing as it is. Again, compromised from the outset - Harry's contact Leo Newbegin seduced by a KGB "swallow" (At least I assume that's what she was). Besides, in this one the Russians were not really the "enemy" - rather, General Midwinter's "Crusade For Freedom" outfit, which had obtained some dodgy viruses from a UK laboratory. Palmer's job, when he realised it, to stop Midwinter triggering WW III (This is where it gets like Bond, right down to the private army invading Latvia in converted tanker trucks - loved that scene where they are setting off for war to the soundtrack of Shostakovich's 7th symphony, "Leningrad"!)

Putin may have had a chuckle at these, and thought "Wish he was on our side." Except that, in these two films, without realising until well into the final reel, he was! :)

Good point :)