25 replies to this topic

#1 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:05 PM

I've always enjoyed coming up with hypothetical casts for the continuation novels and reading others' ideas, as well. Now that "Carte Blanche" is out, I was curious who everyone could picture playing the characters in the new book. Here's a cast list:

James Bond: Born in the early-1980s, Bond is a veteran of the wars in Afghanistan (Operation Herrick) and Iraq.

M: The head of the Secret Intelligence Service returns to being a man after being a woman since "Goldeneye".

Severan Hydt: The Dutch-born owner of Green Way International, a waste disposal corporation. He has an obsession with death that borders on sexual fetishisation, and plans to detonate a dangerous weapon in a British university to kill a cancer researcher.

Niall Dunne: A former Army sapper turned enforcer who serves as Hydt's trusted confidante and the brains behind his plan. He has a fascination with machines, and tends to view the world in a cool, dispassionate manner.

Felicity Willing: The sporksperson for the International Organisation Against Hunger, which controls one-third of all food aid arriving in Africa. Willing attempts to use her position to distribute food in a way that would give the Sudanese government a pretext to go to war with rebels in the south.

Bheka Jordaan: a member of the South African Police Service and an ally of Bond's. She is aware of the nature of his work and refuses to take part in it unless Bond can give her a legal reason to intervene.

Miss Moneypenny: M’s personal secretary; in her mid-30s.

Mary Goodnight: The secretary to the 00 Section; 21 years old.

May Maxwell: Bond's loyal and elderly Scottish housekeeper.

Felix Leiter: Bond's CIA counterpart and ally who assists him in Dubai.

#2 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:35 PM

Chris Pine (b. 1980), Chris Hemsworth (b. 1983), David Gallagher (b. 1985) or Chris Wright (b. 1989) as Felix Leiter.

#3 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:07 PM

Chris Pine (b. 1980), Chris Hemsworth (b. 1983), David Gallagher (b. 1985) or Chris Wright (b. 1989) as Felix Leiter.

Good ideas, especially the first three. :tup: However, just because Felix is Caucasian again, I wouldn't want to make him excessively white by casting Chris Wright in the role.

#4 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:17 PM

I see someone like Henry Cavill or Jim Sturgess as Deaver's Bond - someone a bit (for want of a better term) metrosexual. It's practically impossible to think of a man's man like Craig or Dalton while reading this book.

#5 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:21 PM

* Just noticed I misspelled the book's title in the thread. Can a mod please correct it?

#6 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:22 PM

I see someone like Henry Cavill or Jim Sturgess as Deaver's Bond - someone a bit (for want of a better term) metrosexual. It's practically impossible to think of a man's man like Craig or Dalton while reading this book.

I agree. The Bond in that CARTE BLANCHE teaser trailer looks like Liberacci's cousin especially the scene where his face is doused with water.

#7 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 05:02 AM

While I am not getting my usual Bond image from CARTE BALNCHE - a Connery/Dalton hybrid - I AM getting a very early 30s Craig.

The fresh-faced look DC had in his TALES FROM THE CRYPT episode :o :confused:

#8 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 12:45 PM

It would be remiss not to cast Kate Winslet as Mary Goodnight - despite the character being much younger than the actress - given it is the only time in the novel that a character is described as looking like a specific actor/actress.

#9 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 03:16 PM

Gosh; I very much have Craig in my head reading it.

Oddly for Hydt I have a chef in there:
Posted Image

:D

Philly I imagine as played by the very gorgeous Zoe Telford:
Posted Image

#10 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 03:33 PM

I could actually see someone in the mould of Marco Pierre White functioning very well as Severan Hydt, marktmurphy. There was an actor in something but whose name escapes me. Alfred Molina would probably make a very good Hydt as well.

I'm not so sure about Telford as Filly, though. She does fit the description - with the cheekbones and luxurious red hair so she could very definitely meet the criteria for the character. That said, I was picturing someone more like Keeley Hawes in the role:

Posted Image

#11 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:21 PM

Ooh yeah; love a bit of Keeley too! :)

#12 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:51 PM

As far as Felix goes - I'm sure I got the feel he was visually based on Rik van Nutter, so perhaps the new actor should be more in his mould. Oddly, am watching the new Hawaii Five-0 as we type and it strikes me that Scott Caan fills the mould and is roughly the right age for the character.

#13 Robert Watts

Robert Watts

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:19 AM

Bond was far dryer, playful and well... urbane than Craig's version I felt. I pictured a lean, somewhat older Cavill in the role.

Severan Hydt: Ciaran Hinds.

Dunne, maybe Paul Bettany, even though he's not Irish. He did menacing in the Da Vinci Code didn't he?

Someone like Jim Broadbent for Lamb.

Bheka's a tough one. Same with Felicity. Deaver's descriptions didn't exactly paint a portrait and I found both characterisations rather lacking.

I pictured Lois Maxwell as Moneypenny but maybe Emily Mortimer? She has the eyes for it, though she doesn't exactly scream ex-Military.

As far as Felix goes - I'm sure I got the feel he was visually based on Rik van Nutter, so perhaps the new actor should be more in his mould. Oddly, am watching the new Hawaii Five-0 as we type and it strikes me that Scott Caan fills the mould and is roughly the right age for the character.

The guy looks a good 10 years older than he is. I don't really get a Felix vibe from him. His wheelhouse is the overgrown fratboy type of role he plays on ENTOURAGE.

Edited by Robert Watts, 13 June 2011 - 10:26 AM.

#14 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:57 PM

Severan Hydt: Ciaran Hinds.

Yes; that's not bad.

#15 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:41 PM

The guy looks a good 10 years older than he is. I don't really get a Felix vibe from him. His wheelhouse is the overgrown fratboy type of role he plays on ENTOURAGE.

Apart from the twenty four episodes of Hawaii Five-O in which he plays a Federal Agent/New York Cop? Even playing a getaway driver in the Oceans films, I don't get the overgrown fratboy vibe.

He's 34, for me, he looks nowhere near the 44 you suggest he looks.

#16 Andrew

Andrew

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1274 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 07:49 PM

Here's some of the roles as I imagined them as I read . . .

James Bond - A younger, British Jon Hamm

M - Michael Gambon

Severan Hydt - Sacha Baron Cohen

Nial Dunne - Paul Bettany

Felicity Willing - Charlize Theron

Bheka Jordaan - Thandie Newton

Felix Leiter - Matthew McConnaughey

#17 chileanoperative

chileanoperative

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:35 PM

To me, James Bond of Carte Blanche is Michael Fassbender. He has that classic look, and he makes it work in the modern world.

#18 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:01 PM

James Bond - I still see him as Daniel Craig.

Severan Hydt - mid/late 50s, curly hair, bearded, peculiar. I'm tempted to say stick a curly wig and a beard on him and have that "usual suspect" Sir Anthony Hopkins play Hydt with a hint of Hannibal. But no, I'm going for an unexpected choice, the star of "Deadwood", Ian McShane. with his usual English accent.

Bekha Jordaan - Thandie Newton, already mentioned above.

Felicity Willing - Charlize Theron, also already mentioned. Makes sense given the book's main location.

Niall Dunne - another oddball. Once again others have beaten me to it. Ciaran Hands or Paul Bettany.

M - hmm! Thinning grey black hair, jowelled. He's appeared in Bond before. Geoffrey Palmer.

Osborne-Smith - Hugh Laurie pre-House. Obviously the nearest the book has to comic relief.

Can't think of any other casting suggestions at the moment.

#19 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:31 PM

Severan Hydt - mid/late 50s, curly hair, bearded, peculiar. I'm tempted to say stick a curly wig and a beard on him and have that "usual suspect" Sir Anthony Hopkins play Hydt with a hint of Hannibal. But no, I'm going for an unexpected choice, the star of "Deadwood", Ian McShane. with his usual English accent.

Unbelievably perfect, my friend. That's just the right casting imho.

#20 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:10 AM

Coming Fall 2018

Albert R. Broccoli's Eon Productions present
HENRY CAVILL
as Ian Fleming's
JAMES BOND 007
in
CARTE BLANCHE

starring
Jeff Goldblum as Severan Hydt
Thandie Newton as Bheka Jordaan
MacKenzie Crook as Niall Dunne
Charlotte Rampling as Jessica Barnes
Charlize Theron as Felicity Willing
Emma Watson as Ophelia Maidenstone
Rutger Hauer as Nicholas Rathko
Brian Blessed as Gregory Lamb
Jeremy Northam as Percy Osborne-Smith
Bill Nighy as M
Michael Kitchen as Bill Tanner
Jeffrey Wright as Felix Leiter
Samantha Bond as Miss Moneypenny
Navin Chowdhry as Sanu Hirani
Elize du Toit as Mary Goodnight
Brenda Blethyn as May Maxwell

#21 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:11 AM

Can we cast any actor, dead or alive? Because when I read the description of Hydt, my thoughts instantly ran to Max Schreck. Specifically, this role of his:

Posted Image

Yep. Count Orlok.

#22 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:44 AM

starring
Bill Nighy as M

Goldblum as Hydt is an interesting choice. Blessed as Lamb is a no-brainer. :tup:

I wish there were more well-known South African actresses as it seems Ms. Theron is always the go-to girl when these types of roles come up in conversation. :P

I'd never heard of Elize du Toit before but going by her background it seems she'd fit the part of Felicity better.

Just to put a few other ideas forth for Bond's allies/ODG staff:

Posted Image
James Cosmo as M

Posted Image
Raza Jaffrey as Sanu Hirani

Posted Image
Emilia Clarke as Mary Goodnight

Posted Image
Aaron Eckhart as Felix Leiter

#23 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:34 AM

starring
Bill Nighy as M

Goldblum as Hydt is an interesting choice.

I was trying to narrow down my choice of Hydt.
Warren Beatty would be good.
I also imagined (as I think did Deaver), Robert De Niro as Louis Cypher from Angel Heart as Mr Hydt.
How about Kim Cattrall as Felicity Willing?

#24 TCK

TCK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 341 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:33 PM

Here's my cast for the main characters of Carte Blanche.

James Bond - Henry Cavill
Posted Image

Severan Hydt : Kevin Bacon
Posted Image

Bheka Jordaan : Lesley-Ann Brandt
Posted Image

Niall Dunne : David Tennant
Posted Image

Felicity Welling : Charlize Theron
Posted Image

Felix Leiter : Ethan Hawke
Posted Image

#25 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 04:06 AM

I'm going to cast Angelina Jolie as Ophelia Maidenstone. Trust me on this one - there's a very good reason for this:

- Ophelia is a stylish, glamourous redhead
- She is Bond's connection to sifting through the world of inter-agency politics and intelligence analysis
- She drives fast and tunes her own motorcycles
- Bond develops a semi-romantic attachment to her, which he does his best to reject
- Philly has an on-again, off-again relationship with Tim

Now, the reason why I'm casting Jolie as Maidenstone is because I've been reading a lot of other Jeffrey Deaver novels, specifically the Lincoln Rhyme ones. And I've noticed the following about Amelia Sachs:

- Amelia is a stylish, glamourous redhead
- She is Rhyme's connection to sifting through crime scenes and collecting evidence
- She drives fast (no word on motorcycles)
- Rhyme develops a romantic attachment to her, which he does his best to reject
- Sachs has an on-again, off-again relationship with a boyfriend who gets done for corruption

Conclusion: Maindestone and Sachs are essentially the same character (either that or Deaver really likes his redheads). Since Jolie played Amelia Sachs in THE BONE COLLECTOR (despite the lack of red hair), she gets to play Ophelia Maidenstone in CARTE BLANCHE.

#26 mcdonbb

mcdonbb

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:53 PM

Great thread!!

My "mind movie" version is a bit more condensed than the audio. I kept Craig as bond but abandoned all the Deaver reboot. Cut Hydt nails and cast Sir Ben Kingsley...and Colin Farrell as Dunne. Pictured kind of a cat and mouse between Bond and Dunne throught film.

VW Group provided the cars this one time with new GT and porshca cheyenne in S Africa.

Cut out goodnite and most of office folk..added Mr Bean as Boothroyd (sorry new guy). Minister of Defense investigating M over Carte Blanche dealing with Hydt and the Dubia dud... yada yada yada...

I know I need a life but travel alot and well mind wonders.