The 2 Gun Barrels of Roger Moore

128 replies to this topic

#121 J B

J B

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:55 AM

In the later gunbarrels, I think it's sort of ironically funny how Roger Moore still wore those flared trousers well into the 1980s. Now that was more '70s, and even in 1979 they have started going out of style. I think in the early '80s, they were just gone. They look pretty good on him, though, if very few people in general.

Edited by J B, 09 August 2011 - 07:55 AM.

#122 robdread

robdread

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:06 PM

I always liked Dalton's for some reason. Roger's was good -- my only issue with it is that the sound of the gunshot never quite seemed to sync up correctly.

#123 robertcampbell

robertcampbell

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:31 PM

I did had the chance to see the Timothy Dalton alternative gun barrel shooting and it was so like the Bob Simmons classic jumping and shooting stance in the first 3 films from a bootleg "TLD" video way back in '87.There was a missing dialogue with Robert Brown as "M" which follows from the line with Bond:'Not exactly sir,I need to make a split second decision.It was instinct"(Included in final print)
M:"Or accident?..."
Bond:"Revulsion...in one's occupation".
M:"It happens to undertakers and butchers".

#124 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:18 PM

I gotta say, I love Rog's first gunbarrel. Not just because of the Martin arrangement, though that's right up my alley, but the last suit we'd see until Craig. I'm much more of a fan of Bond wearing a suit in the gunbarrel than the tux. The pose itself was one of my favorites, too, Rog controlling the Walther kick with his left hand. Those "nontraditional" poses are my favorite ones, Laz being the best IMO. The point of the whole thing is catching the off-camera gunman by surprise, which looks more convincing to me in the Laz knee-drop and the early Moore gunbarrel when it comes from nowhere rather than the more traditional Left-arm-out-for-balance or two-hands-on-the-gun. I guess that's one reason I'm one of the few(?) who really like Craig's QOS gunbarrel, because his shot comes out of nowhere FAST. It comes as such a surprise that it surprised a lot of us, leaving some to say it just happened TOO fast, but for me it accomplishes exactly what it should.

Anyway, Rog's early gunbarrel is nothing but classic to me.

#125 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 06:15 PM

It's not on YouTube; I've checked before.

Also, this...

I don't like anything that Craig does as Bond

...instantly makes me disqualify your opinion on anything, Capsule; well done. You've gone against the grain on here, but now everybody hates you for it.

Self-opinionated moron.

Just sayin'.

Anyway, just came across this thead. I didn't know the other Dalton barrel existed at all! I've seen the first one a few times, such a shame it wasn't used, actually. I love the jump. It's a lot better than the one that was eventually used!

#126 Capsule in Space

Capsule in Space

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 228 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:23 PM

It's not on YouTube; I've checked before.

Also, this...

I don't like anything that Craig does as Bond

...instantly makes me disqualify your opinion on anything, Capsule; well done. You've gone against the grain on here, but now everybody hates you for it.

Self-opinionated moron.

Just sayin'.

Anyway, just came across this thead. I didn't know the other Dalton barrel existed at all! I've seen the first one a few times, such a shame it wasn't used, actually. I love the jump. It's a lot better than the one that was eventually used!

A lot of people at CBn don't like me because I have, "gone against the grain here," (i.e. I am critical of Craig and EON). Nevertheless, Mr. Blofeld's claim that "everyone hates you for it" is most likely an exaggeration.

As for the Dalton gunbarrel, I like the one that was used, but the "jump" sequence probably would have been a better fit for Dalton's "He's Dangerous" image.

#127 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:12 AM

Of course it's an exaggeration! Like Craig or not, you're still a Bond fan at the end of the day. That insult was aimed at Blofeld, btw. Not you. :)

#128 Capsule in Space

Capsule in Space

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 228 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:11 PM

Of course it's an exaggeration! Like Craig or not, you're still a Bond fan at the end of the day. That insult was aimed at Blofeld, btw. Not you. :)

I figured that the message was directed at Mr. Blofeld. I have nothing against Mr. Blofeld, but I don't understand why he gets so upset sometimes.

#129 Colorshade

Colorshade

Cadet

• Crew
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 12:06 AM

The CR sequence was fresh and cool. The QoS barrel was a complete disappointment and probably the worst in the series in my opinion.

I could not, in fact, agree more.

I am obsessed with the way Moore walks in his second gunbarrel, and how he walks in general. I think he does it beautifully. He sort of takes long steps without it looking unnatural or lazy. I love his floppy jeans!

He also has the two most completely different takes on the gunbarrel: In the first, he turns arounds really quickly, probably fastest of all the Bonds. In the second one, he actually aims and hits the audience. ^^

Hmm... but I actually think Dalton nailed it the best. I don't know why, but I get the feeling Moore was "frightened" during his second shot.

The best gunbarrel sequence overall is For Your Eyes Only – fantastic choice of music. That said, I also get goose bumps from the futuristic Goldeneye theme. And Licence to Kill just screams revenge all over! And the Live and Let Die one is also cool. Man, they seem to do better when John Barry isn't in charge of writing the gunbarrel music.