8 replies to this topic

#1 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:22 PM

I've been reading some great reviews on the new Optimum DVD sets of The Avengers in the UK!

Any news on a blu ray release of the episodes by Optimum?

I have the Peel series on DVD from A&E Home Video. No extras of course. I also have The New Avengers sets from A&E as well.

I just finished a run of the Peel and Tara King episodes and am now watching The New Avengers series.

#2 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:13 AM

I seriously considered buying these as imports at Christmas, but after hearing of some of the recalls on a couple of the sets I opted against it. Trouble is if they are ever released in the U.S. we won't get near the features they have on the Region 2 versions, as it did with the Saint and Persuaders sets.

I guess since we got the Blu-rays of the Bonds that didn't show up in Region 2 it all evens out.

As far as Blu-rays of The Avengers go, as much as I prefer the format I don't know that it would benefit the series. It was never the sharpest looking show and not preserved as well as some '60s shows. But I'll take it any way I can at this point.

#3 Mr. Arlington Beech

Mr. Arlington Beech

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:27 PM

Anyone knows if the special features, particularly The Strange Case Of The Missing Corpse and the Chessboard Opening are also improved in its image (just like the regular episodes)?

#4 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:15 AM

Anyone knows if the special features, particularly The Strange Case Of The Missing Corpse and the Chessboard Opening are also improved in its image (just like the regular episodes)?

There are reviews and screen caps at The Avengers Declassified website.

Here's some screen cap comparisons of Series 6. They look pretty darn good to me.. We just need that blu ray release now!!

http://declassified....t5_captures.htm

#5 Mr Teddy Bear

Mr Teddy Bear

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1154 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:40 AM

Very nice! We are no longer looking at the images through a layer of dirt and the colours are wonderfully vivid.

#6 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:07 AM

Very nice! We are no longer looking at the images through a layer of dirt and the colours are wonderfully vivid.

yeah. Now can we get an HD blu ray release of the series????

: )

#7 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:13 PM

I thought the A&E release monochrome episodes looked fine, but then most everything I watch is at least thirty years old. That same set is for sale at truly insane prices. $899.00 for the Emma Peel Megaset! I bought it new for a mere $50.00 just before it went OOP.

#8 Brisco

Brisco

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:12 AM

I thought the A&E release monochrome episodes looked fine, but then most everything I watch is at least thirty years old. That same set is for sale at truly insane prices. $899.00 for the Emma Peel Megaset! I bought it new for a mere $50.00 just before it went OOP.

If you thought the A&E monochrome ones looked good, you'll be BLOWN AWAY by the Optimum ones! The monochromes especially look SO MUCH better! Night and day. The problem is, while the picture quality is vastly improved and the extras are great, the sets are SO buggy. And not just the widely reported bugs like messed up audio. My discs freeze up all the time on a player that can usually handle anything. It becomes really frustrating, because I end up having to switch back and forth between good looking Optimum and cloudy but well playing A&E to get through an entire episode, since whole portions of Optimum's freeze up. And it's not just a single problematic set. I have all the individual sets they put out, and they all have these issues.

BUT: man does that picture look good! SO improved!

#9 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:51 PM

If you thought the A&E monochrome ones looked good, you'll be BLOWN AWAY by the Optimum ones! The monochromes especially look SO MUCH better! Night and day. The problem is, while the picture quality is vastly improved and the extras are great, the sets are SO buggy. And not just the widely reported bugs like messed up audio. My discs freeze up all the time on a player that can usually handle anything. It becomes really frustrating, because I end up having to switch back and forth between good looking Optimum and cloudy but well playing A&E to get through an entire episode, since whole portions of Optimum's freeze up. And it's not just a single problematic set. I have all the individual sets they put out, and they all have these issues.

BUT: man does that picture look good! SO improved!

I've seen screen shots of the Optimum sets and am very impressed! Hopefully a blu ray release is on the way. I'm holding out for one at this time. Hopefully blu ray sets are on the way very shortly.