2 replies to this topic

#1 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:37 PM

Throughout Bond history, variations of "Die" have of course been used often in titles: Die Another Day, Tomorrow Never Dies, License to Kill, etc.

However, the reverse has also been true with variations of "Live" -- You Only Live Twice, The Living Daylights. But -- there has not been a "Live" title since 1987.

Are we due for another "Live" title, or should the theme be retired altogether?
And which titles would fit?

Nobody Lives Forever...

#2 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:58 PM

To each his own, but personally I'm tired of the baroque titles in "Live" and "Die". It has an uncomfortable "teenage fanfic title" feeling to it. I'd welcome anyhthing creative, in the vein of "Moonraker" and such titles.

#3 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:36 PM

Even derivatives of 'Moonraker' have a fan-fic feel to them. Look at some of the titles generated by Titan comics and EA Games.

The most impressive fan-fic title I've ever come across was Barbara Emanuelle's "Heaven Isn't Too Far Away." That Smacks of Fleming because she no more followed the 'formula' than Fleming did.

John Gardner tried to generate his own titles, but he was often overruled by the board of IFP. I can only assume Raymond Benson was too.

What we need are titles that don't sound like they were made up by a committee trying to come up with something that sounds like a 007 movie title.

'Colonel Sun' is a wonderful title - too bad they raided the name in Die Another Day (Colonel Sun-Liang Tan -> Colonel Tan-Sun Moon)
'Reverend Moon' might have made a good title - too bad there is already someone who would object to his name being used (Goldprick, anyone?).

I don't have any title suggestions of my own to offer, except to hope that EON and IFP do like Barbara Emanuelle and try something outside the box. If 'Quantum of Solace' can sell, then there's hope for titles without 'Live' or 'Die' in them (and for Gord's sake don't use 'Kill' again - it's the mark of death).