• 22 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:29 PM

http://www.wasteland...276503b5d4d5046

007 On The Rocks
[H-007]

by Stephan Kurr
ISBN: 978-1-60047-543-6
Hardback (6.437x9.25): 138 pgs.

007 On the Rocks: A Guide to the Drinks of James Bond is a practical easy-to-use guidebook covering the unique world of James Bond libations. It contains every aspect of amateur mixology a Bond enthusiast needs to know including:

• Over fifty 007 drink recipes from Dr. No to Quantum of Solace
• Exclusive champagnes of James Bond chapter
• The drinks of Ian Fleming’s short stories
• Special “Q” mixology chapter
• The Author’s own creation: the Tiffany Case martini
• Foreword by Bond aficionado David Zaritsky

007 On the Rocks: A Guide to the Drinks of James Bond is based on the extensive firsthand experience of the author, an amateur mixologist with a penchant for James Bond trivia.

007 On the Rocks: A Guide to the Drinks of James Bond is a definite must for all James Bond fan’s personal library.

Stephan Kurr lives in Las Vegas, Nevada, with his wife, dog and an enviable array of James Bond collectibles. Steve attended the University of California Berkeley and served as a counterintelligence special agent in the US Army. Bond and booze are his passions, and in the case of the latter, a consuming passion.

Edited by TheMantis, 17 January 2011 - 04:30 PM.

#2 Monkeyfoahead

Monkeyfoahead

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts
  • Location:A hollowed-out volcano, a submarine, and a moon base.

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:42 AM

I'm buying it

#3 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:02 AM

I'm buying it

Has potential, however the foreword by David Zaritsky is underwhelming to say the least.

#4 TheMantis

TheMantis

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:29 AM

I'm buying it

Has potential, however the foreword by David Zaritsky is underwhelming to say the least.

NICE!! :cooltongue:

#5 NorthoftheThames

NorthoftheThames

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:05 AM

I'm buying it

NICE!! :cooltongue:

Didn't expect much from this...and I was right. A waste of time and sorry attempt to ca$h in on Bond fans. :tdown:

#6 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:10 AM

Didn't expect much from this...and I was right. A waste of time and sorry attempt to ca$h in on Bond fans. :tdown:

Too bad to hear about this. Can you give us a little detail about the book and why you did not like it? I'm curious as I was planning on ordering it.

#7 Shakey Martini

Shakey Martini

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:34 PM

I was very disappointed with what could of been a really interesting and unexplored area of the Bond universe. The book itself is small, flimsy and has the shape, size and feel of one of those free booklets you sometimes get on the front of film magazines, that in itself is not the problem (though considering the price of the book, you do feel shortchanged before you've even opened it) the contents spread roughly two thirds a page of each the 93 in this booklet does cover the spectrum of Bonds alcoholic beverages and David Liegh does know his subject but the detail is sparse. Whiskey for instance is covered by four short paragraphs and doesnt even differentiate between classic Whiskeys and Bourbons (Possibly the literary Bonds most consumed tipple) and generally you come away thinking you could of learnt a lot more for a lot less in a standard drinks handbook. I would of liked more detail on Bond's experiences of alcohol, (what does that GF phrase 'an overdose of bom boise' actually mean?, How hard would it of be to detect a sherry's vintage in DAF, what was TMWTGG Phu Yuck based on... etc) having said all that the cover looks great and I did learn some new things but it just could of been so much better!

#8 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:43 PM

, (what does that GF phrase 'an overdose of bom boise' actually mean?,

Well to answer your question, Bon Bois is an area in the Cognac region and usually the poorer quality fruit come from that area.

Out of interest, here is a link to an article I wrote back in 06 about the Wines of James Bond (I am a sommelier by trade)

http://www.worldinag....com/page9.html

#9 Shakey Martini

Shakey Martini

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:12 AM

, (what does that GF phrase 'an overdose of bom boise' actually mean?,

Well to answer your question, Bon Bois is an area in the Cognac region and usually the poorer quality fruit come from that area.

Out of interest, here is a link to an article I wrote back in 06 about the Wines of James Bond (I am a sommelier by trade)

http://www.worldinag....com/page9.html

Thanks jaguar007, everytime I've watched that scene I've always wondered.

With regard to my recent post I've just noticed to my horror that the unfavourable review I've given is actually for a different newly released 'The Drinks Of James Bond' by the author David Leigh, so please disregard my views as I'm sure this book is far superior. Sorry for the confusion chaps (I've only been a member for less than a week and already I'm causing problems).

#10 Brannigan

Brannigan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:28 PM

There was a great site that listed what James Bond drank in the movies and books. It had a list of recipes, drink count from each movie and book, and unique anecdotes. Sadly I think the website is offline (if anyone knows where it went, let me know it was a great guide). Anyway I hoped that would be what this book was like, but looking at the reviews it doesn't look like it is.