[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 06:41 AM

From IMDb:

BOND BEAUTY STEAMS UP BROSNAN

Die Another Day star Rosamund Pike may be one in a long line of Bond girls, but being part of the steamiest love scene ever to appear in the hit franchise has made her unique. The English actress, who plays Olympic fencer Miranda Frost in the film, is proud of the scene which will raise temperatures the world over when the Bond film is released later this month. And she admits raunchier versions of the encounter were cut to adhere to the film's rating. She says, "There was a steamier scene, actually, which has been cut. It was actually too steamy for the story. You see this is Lee Tamahori directing. He's bringing Bond into a new age. He shot an X-rated Bond film probably, although it's still PG and all that will have to come out."

#2 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 07:00 AM

i never expected the 'raunchy' scenes to stay, but i would like to see them on the dvd.

#3 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 07:21 AM

OK, Rosamund was JOKING. In the original interview, the interviewer was asking about how raunchy were the sex scenes and she said well they really shot an X-rated Bond film but had to cut it down to PG. :) Honestly, Tamahori may have pushed a few scenes into bordering on the U.S. "R" (though not the UK/European etc equivilent) but not "X", oh and Bond is PG-13 (12). Besides the steamier scenes happen with Halle not Rosamund. And it was stated last month in several Scandanvian Online papers were that those would be cut for U.S. audiences but probably not European. If any are cut it would be nice to get them on DVD, even better the entire uncut film whch is preferable to having added on deleted scenes clumped at the end.

#4 General Gogol

General Gogol

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 06:58 PM

That ticks me off when they cut things for American movies. Americans need to lighten up, Sex is an enduring part of the Bond Movies and adds to their mystique. Just my opinion. Have a great day!!!!

#5 level007

level007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 07:08 PM

i am with you on this General Gogol
If these are cut in USA and not here in Europe, i ll have a good laugh (as usual).....

#6 solitaire

solitaire

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 07:27 PM

I don't understand why they would cut a sex scene for U.S audiences anyway. Unless they were having actual intercourse,they could'nt have shot anything steamier than "Basic Instinct".:)
My guess is that there were perhaps "other reasons" for cutting a Halle/Pierce sex scene:(

#7 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 08:54 PM

Hmm could be b/c Basic Instinct was an R rated film. Just like Thomas Crown was an R rated film (thank God :)) and DAD is PG-13. U.S. censors are always much more strict when it comes to sex scenes/scenes of sensuality/ nudity than most of their European counterparts, and much more lax when it comes to violence.

#8 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 09:07 PM

You know, comments like this really make me feel that we're going to get a variety of versions world wide.

I believe the German version of Die Another Day has been cut down to meet a 12 rating. But across the border, it hasn't been cut.

I know that the US are going to get a shorter version. I'm still looking in to that though!

#9 Ry

Ry

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 09:19 PM

It will be interesting to see how far they push the envelope on the sex scenes. I just really hope that there are deleted scenes on the DVD next year!

#10 BondChick4ever8

BondChick4ever8

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 09:27 PM

I think the sex scenes are an important part of bond movies. I mean, its just bond! They shouldn't tone down the US version and release all different kinds based on how the ratings are in that particular country. Like last night on CBS, they played TWINE and they cut out the part where bond unbuttons the Doctor's blouse and went right to bond walking in to Q's gadget room. It was way pathetic! That's just what i think...

#11 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 09:34 PM

I also heard that they were cutting most of the sex scenes for the premiere, as the Queen is attending:rolleyes:. One question: why? There are silly people, such as my mum, who get offended when they see minor sex scenes in a film, and ok, this is bigger, but its only sex, its harmless, we all do it:o. Its just making a mountain of a molehill really.

#12 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 09:52 PM

I can understand with the Queen, all the properness that must be 'implored'. Most people don't attend the Royal Premier to see the film anyway. But honestly, sex is a natural thing along with nudity. And there's a point where it can become too much, and there's a time when people can make too much out of too little.

#13 C. Tounes

C. Tounes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 342 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 10:05 PM

Good point Blue Eyes.
Seeing Bond shagging Jinx would be total shock when you're with you're mates anyway really, everyone would have a different view of Bond...

#14 solitaire

solitaire

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 10:06 PM

Why is Queen Elizabeth going to a Bond film premiere anyway:confused:
That ugly old hag should appreciate seeing sex scene,that toad husband of hers probably has'nt been able to get it up looking at her for the past 50 years:rolleyes:

#15 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 10:10 PM

Totally unnecessary me thinks.

#16 Sanchez

Sanchez

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 10:26 PM

This is working out well, as I'll see it here in the U.S. when it's released, and when I fly to England late december I'll see it there too, should be interesting.

#17 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 10:32 PM

Sex is a perfectly acceptable subject as far as Shakespeare is concerned and I don't see why it shouldn't be as far as Bond's concerned.

:) The producers need to heed Ian's advice me thinks.

#18 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 10:33 PM

You may be a rarity there Sanchez. If we haven't got a list before-hand, I'd greatly appreciate any differences you note.

#19 General Gogol

General Gogol

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 10:33 PM

Good point chicky. They deleted a couple of scenes last night and that made me upset. One thing that is true of history and Ian Fleming was quick to point this out is that History is nothing but sex and violence. This was Mr. Flemings response to his pundits and critics when his books first came out. Although I live in the states I am very liberal in my attitude to sex. I guess that comes from my time in Europe. Anyway sex is a part of the mystique of Bond and will continue to be. Have a great day!!!

#20 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 03:46 AM

I have heard that the US version is 007 minutes shorter than the UK version. So it appears the UK censors know the Queen can take anything, while in the US, John Ashcroft has scared everyone, so the steamy stuff is gone.

-- Xenobia

#21 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 04:19 AM

7 minutes? That's a hell of a lot, the "offending" parts of the love scenes couldn't possibly be that long. So exactly what are they cutting? And are we going to ge a "whole" film on DVD and no I don't mean a butchered for Puritanical U.S. film with deleted scenes lumped at the end. BAH!

#22 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 04:20 AM

It's not 007 minutes short at all.

#23 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 04:34 AM

Blue Eyes, whew... that's relief unless you mean it's more :) So how much is cut out to protect us oh so pure Americans? :)

#24 HUNTER C.

HUNTER C.

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 04:39 AM

Its okay to let Christina Aguilera turn herself into a total and complete whore on MTV and other music video stations, which are seen by millions/billions/whatever all over by people of all ages. Yet, you can't be that steamy in the movies, even with a PG-13 rating. I don't get it. At least Bond would have class about it and not be so "dirty" as Christina. Jeez.

I really hope its not 7 seconds shorter. I hope its not more than 7 seconds either. That's just ridiculous.

#25 General Gogol

General Gogol

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 04:46 AM

Yeah I agree Hunter C. Good point about Christina aguilera. This is one thing I miss about Europe and one reason I am thinking about moving there after graduation. People are so much more laid back in their attitudes. Meanwhile people here are so starchy and conservative. Have a great day!!!

#26 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 04:47 AM

Unfortunately MBE I believe it's more. :) I sohuld have an article soon enough.

#27 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 05:14 AM

More? What could possibly require such extensive cuts? Do we get a discount on the ticket price? Damnit. This truly sucks.

#28 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 08:40 AM

Originally posted by solitaire
Why is Queen Elizabeth going to a Bond film premiere anyway:confused:
That ugly old hag should appreciate seeing sex scene,that toad husband of hers probably has'nt been able to get it up looking at her for the past 50 years:rolleyes:

Don't worry; on current form, she'd probably "forget" what was happening anyway, the inbred freak.

#29 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 10:27 AM

The cutting of these scenes is pretty pathetic, given it has a PG-13 rating anyway.

Then again, an American station digitally put a bra on Plenty O'Toole when Diamonds Are Forever aired there recently, so I guess this doesn't surprise me in the least.

[dark]

#30 walther

walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 01:57 PM

Is the American Government and the Motion Picture Association run by MGM? Are we protecting the viewers now? WTF?

More than 7 MINUTES is to be cut from the US Version? If it's sex, I can see how anal (no pun) this country is, but if it's violence, then that's just gay.

If we release PG-13 movies where we show somebody lying in a field of dead people (Behind Enemy Lines, PG13), or Kirsten Dunst in a soaked dress that pretty much shows the size of her tits (Spider-man, PG13), then why cut out explosions or some steamy scenes from a Bond film.

If it was a pørn, then yes, cut it down. But don't cut it down because it's kinky. PG13 films say on the rating bar "Sexual Situations, Violence, Language), that type of stuff.

America needs to stop being so anal about this and grow up...